• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign vs. Windstorm

Started by BoostedSHO, June 01, 2016, 11:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoostedSHO

Finally got my tuner and tunes from Livernois yesterday. I installed the 93 3-bar v10 tune. In the email from Anthony he mentioned "We have also found the cold air intake you have to lose some power when compared to our stage 1 package with the windstorm cold air." I'm using the updated MDesign CAI the "lined with 3M™ heat reflection lining on the interior of the carbon fiber heat shield to further prevent heatsoak and a newer, larger high-flow inner air filter for even more power." You guys think there is some truth behind what Anthony said? I'm thinking if there is some truth behind it, it is probably a negligible amount of power loss or might be referring to the older version of the MDesign with the smaller filter
2013 SHO PP
LMS v10 93 3bar tune
MDesign CAI
NW Suburbs, IL

SHOdded

Hard to say which version of the MDesign CAI he was referring to, but regardless, the differences, if any, will only be relevant at high boost, high rpm.  If you want to change anything, change the downpipes and clear the bottleneck to better power.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

Unless there is a dyno with said claim I would take it with a grain of salt.

Mdesign is the best looking of the bunch IMHO and any gains are going to be negligible in a 4500LB car.

J-Will

Is the thought process that LMS bought an MDesign intake, and then tested it?  I give LMS all the credit, they deserve it; but I'm skeptical.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

BoostedSHO

Really didn't think it would make much of a difference. Was just curious if any of you guys had any insight about this. Next up on my list are PPE catted downpipes and Magnaflow cat-back
2013 SHO PP
LMS v10 93 3bar tune
MDesign CAI
NW Suburbs, IL

SHOdded

Should all add up to a nice improvement in power & sound.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: BoostedSHO on June 01, 2016, 11:05:55 AM
Finally got my tuner and tunes from Livernois yesterday. I installed the 93 3-bar v10 tune. In the email from Anthony he mentioned "We have also found the cold air intake you have to lose some power when compared to our stage 1 package with the windstorm cold air." I'm using the updated MDesign CAI the "lined with 3M™ heat reflection lining on the interior of the carbon fiber heat shield to further prevent heatsoak and a newer, larger high-flow inner air filter for even more power." You guys think there is some truth behind what Anthony said? I'm thinking if there is some truth behind it, it is probably a negligible amount of power loss or might be referring to the older version of the MDesign with the smaller filter

We have actually tested the other brand against our Windstorm here on the AWD chassis dyno awhile back.   We have posted the results showing this as well on more than one occasion.  Please see the links below.

http://www.shoforum.com/index.php?posts/1427025/
http://www.shoforum.com/index.php?threads/cold-air-intake-really-worth-it.131911/#post-1448299
http://www.shoforum.com/index.php?threads/cold-air-intake-really-worth-it.131911/page-3#post-1450476

Anthony @ LMS

EcoPowerParts

Any back to back tests on the Windstorm/Airaid at the track vs stock intake? Myself and others lost .2 and 2MPH with that intake.
Love to see testing like I did, hot lapping with stock intake then switch to Windstorm/Airaid then back. I did it 3 times and each time saw .2 and 2MPH loss with the aftermarket intake on a hot car.

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on June 01, 2016, 04:02:33 PM
Any back to back tests on the Windstorm/Airaid at the track vs stock intake? Myself and others lost .2 and 2MPH with that intake.
Love to see testing like I did, hot lapping with stock intake then switch to Windstorm/Airaid then back. I did it 3 times and each time saw .2 and 2MPH loss with the aftermarket intake on a hot car.

Actually there were consecutive testing that was done, and it was actually done by a forum member not us. If you read through those threads you will see that the stock, MDesign and Windstorm were all tested on the same car, same track and same day. The Windstorm has been shown to be the best option on the dyno, and proven to be quicker in the 1/4 on the same vehicle, same day and same track!

FoMoCoSHO

Hey Anthony, have you tested yours against the K&N? Mere curiosity as I figure its probably the worst of the bunch but I own one and am curious. I'd be willing to ship it to you to test.

EcoPowerParts

No luck finding the track comparison LMS/Airaid intake vs stock. Anybody have a link?
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SHOdded

sholxgt

Quote from: SHOdded on June 01, 2016, 05:35:39 PM
I think he may be referring  to Rich's track comparison, one of the 3 links above

http://www.shoforum.com/index.php?posts/1427025/
http://www.shoforum.com/index.php?threads/cold-air-intake-really-worth-it.131911/#post-1448299
http://www.shoforum.com/index.php?threads/cold-air-intake-really-worth-it.131911/page-3#post-1450476

I am not going to make any comment regarding the CAI's on this platform as I do not have any direct knowledge.  I will only share some drag racing knowledge...

1. A very slight change in weather condition between runs could have a greater impact on the times than any of the intake changes.  I would guess that the temperature was dropping as it became later.
2. Using a hp/ET calculator (I realize they are for fun only and provide limited data) shows that the difference in hp from the best pass to the worst was a 2.5 hp difference.
3. Even at our cars, shall we say portly, race weight, a 10-12 hp increase will net a .1 or so drop in ET.

I keep editing to add, but everyone should get the idea.  I should also note that mph is more indicative of hp than ET.  However, wheel spin and other factors play a roll in the mph as well.  Note that the fastest pass had the worst 60' time.  Makes me wonder if he had more wheel spin which can equate to a higher mph.

Overall, I applaud the OP for providing the data and going through the work to swap intakes at the track.  That is really awesome.  It's just too bad that he wasn't able to get 3 or so passes on each set up to get an average.

In no way am I saying which intake is best or whether one should buy an intake.  Only providing some basic info.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Josephm

Both CAI intakes trapped 110mph in the quarter mile.... What am I missing? drop in did 109.5...
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Josephm

If anything the MD breathes better in the upper range pulling in more air. It was down about .5mph at the 1000ft mark and end up only being down .2 mph
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete