• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New tune on Police Interceptor

Started by SpeedTrap, June 01, 2016, 01:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackhawk

The only interceptor I have seen run at the track was a 2013 sedan at the SHO gathering last year.  Guy was running 13.6 consistently in a bone stock car, I would have love to see what it weighed in at as the car was loaded since it was a demo car with ballistic panels and everything.  I thought I remember someone saying the gear ration was was different but I haven't been able to substantiate it.  It's also entirely possible it was just a factory freak.

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 03, 2016, 12:15:21 AM
Quote from: nickwalter4 on June 02, 2016, 03:47:26 PM
I've often contemplated flashing my xsport to think it's a TT police interceptor. They up tune them for gear/armor. At the moment I'm too cheap for a real tuner computer but at work I have ford software and access to PCM cal files...

What proof do you have? Every police interceptor vehicle I've seen over the years is just as slow as the civilian counterpart in magazine tests. It's a common misconception that all police interceptor cars are tuned more than normal cars. Sure there are some specialty cop cars but the police interceptor package is nothing special, and never was.

What Ford software do you have....IDS? if that's the case you can't see the tune. You simply get the file to flash. That file could have changes that are as simple as an increased speed limiter and cooling settings and tire size.

I have IDS software and there are police interceptor items you can add to your car if you want but they are nothing exciting

FoMoCoSHO

Fords EPA certification application shows the PI with the same power/torque as the SHO and it shares the PP 3.16 final drive.

IIRC, the 3.39 is for the non-EB PIs

SpeedTrap

Quote from: Blackhawk on June 03, 2016, 12:03:35 PM
The only interceptor I have seen run at the track was a 2013 sedan at the SHO gathering last year.  Guy was running 13.6 consistently in a bone stock car, I would have love to see what it weighed in at as the car was loaded since it was a demo car with ballistic panels and everything.  I thought I remember someone saying the gear ration was was different but I haven't been able to substantiate it.  It's also entirely possible it was just a factory freak.

I've often contemplated flashing my xsport to think it's a TT police interceptor. They up tune them for gear/armor. At the moment I'm too cheap for a real tuner computer but at work I have ford software and access to PCM cal files...

What proof do you have? Every police interceptor vehicle I've seen over the years is just as slow as the civilian counterpart in magazine tests. It's a common misconception that all police interceptor cars are tuned more than normal cars. Sure there are some specialty cop cars but the police interceptor package is nothing special, and never was.

What Ford software do you have....IDS? if that's the case you can't see the tune. You simply get the file to flash. That file could have changes that are as simple as an increased speed limiter and cooling settings and tire size.

I have IDS software and there are police interceptor items you can add to your car if you want but they are nothing exciting

That was me! Ha. Stock at the time!
Vehicle: 2013 PI Sedan ECOBOOST.
Mods: Airaid CAI, 3-Bar MAP, plugs, 170 Degree Thermostat, Powerstop "Top Cop" brake pads and rotors, Matt Cater tuned, 93 Octane.
Mustang Dyno: 337 AWHP, 368 AWTQ 93 Octane.
Best Time: 12.829 @ 106.88, 1.835 60 foot.

John Miller

Ballistic panels? Armor? Are you guys sure that the intercepter a have this?

I know Ford has been toying around with adding bulletproof windows and ballistic panels to the police packages, but it was my impression they had not actually done it yet for production. Plus, even if already out in limited amounts, I was also under the impression that the cost was prohibitive for most departments.

I think most interceptors are just the sedans with better suspension and heavy duty use items like batteries and alternators. Maybe I'm wrong ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Taurus SHO, Non-PP, 93 Octane Livernois V10 "Soft Shift" Tune with 170 Reische Thermostat and 3-bar MAP sensor

ZSHO

It's from my understanding that only a certain amount of the PI are equipped with the 3.5 liter twin turbo,the rest have the standard 3.7 liter V6 which produces 305hp and 279 ib-ft of torque,here are a couple of links.  Z    http://assets.clickmotive.com/Customers/3/33425/CustomPage/11_NextGenPoliceIntercepBrochure2_lr.pdf      http://www.pro-gard.com/wp-content/uploads/FordPISedanProductGuide_HiRez.pdf BTW here's a cool article & video.    http://www.policeone.com/police-products/vehicles/Patrol/videos/178613519-Turn-Your-Doors-Into-Shields/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

bpd can provide clarity on the ballistic panel situation, he has quite indepth knowledge for sure.  I would think though that police vehicles WITHOUT ballistic panels, at least patrol vehicles, would be an anomaly.  That's like hanging a death sentence on your officers!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Quote from: SHOdded on June 06, 2016, 10:27:22 AM
bpd can provide clarity on the ballistic panel situation, he has quite indepth knowledge for sure.  I would think though that police vehicles WITHOUT ballistic panels, at least patrol vehicles, would be an anomaly.  That's like hanging a death sentence on your officers!

I can't speak for the new Interceptor, but I traded in a 2006 CVPI on my MKS and have a decent amount of knowledge with those cars.  They were and still are the most common police car on the road.  Very, very few had ANY additional armor/protection.  Some have armor in the front seats, but even that is not common.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Blackhawk

SpeedTrap was the owner so he can speak up, I think he said his car was was a demo so it had almost every option.

Quote from: John Miller on June 06, 2016, 08:27:05 AM
Ballistic panels? Armor? Are you guys sure that the intercepter a have this?

I know Ford has been toying around with adding bulletproof windows and ballistic panels to the police packages, but it was my impression they had not actually done it yet for production. Plus, even if already out in limited amounts, I was also under the impression that the cost was prohibitive for most departments.

I think most interceptors are just the sedans with better suspension and heavy duty use items like batteries and alternators. Maybe I'm wrong ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sholxgt

What you are saying is basically correct for the CVPI's.  They do have a special tune, but I wouldn't say it's exactly aggressive.  The PI tune mostly modifies the speed limiter, cooling functions, traction control, and abs functions.  The tune likely accounts for the less restrictive intake and exhaust that the cars have factory as well.  In the end, they aren't much faster than a civilian model.

I had mine custom tuned and that made a noticeable improvement.

I would guess that is all still true.  If you want a real gain, don't bother with any factory program.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

AJP turbo

I dont think the police interceptor is different at all from a pp sho....soon i should be able to compare a police twin turbo to a pp.....i remember people thought the crown vic pi were faster..they were electronically limited to 133 lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

sholxgt

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 06, 2016, 07:40:04 PM
I dont think the police interceptor is different at all from a pp sho....soon i should be able to compare a police twin turbo to a pp.....i remember people thought the crown vic pi were faster..they were electronically limited to 133 lol

LOL. With the limiter removed, they still don't hit a very high terminal velocity.  In theory, of course.  Strange thing was that with a 3.73 gear, carbon fiber limited slip, and custom program, one could still manage to out accelerate many cars (at the track) for a short distance.

In theory, one could out run a CVPI on the top end with most modern unlimited vehicles.  I suspect that is part of the reason why many departments are retiring the very dependable platform. 

AJP turbo

I doubt it....they were like 275hp with the crappy 4.6

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

sholxgt

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 06, 2016, 10:01:59 PM

As usual, you missed my point.  As you do 90% of the posters on this forum.  I was saying that it's a slow outdated platform that can be tuned to out accelerate modern cars, but can't run with anything on the top end.

The power you quoted and crappyness of the motor are correct.  Keep in mind that there are plenty of crappy motors that do OK when needed.

The 5.0 Mustang in my garage put 532 to the back tires with the factory original 120k mile short block.  No, it's not a modern 5.0.  It's the factory 302 in a 1990 LX hatch.  Runs ok when needed also since it's 3,200 lbs soaking wet with factory equipment, A/C, driver, etc.

Scott4957

Ah you didn't have to edit that. AJ's super power is being condescending and having dry humor. He is proud of it and incorporates it in all his log readings haha.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

AJP turbo

Quote from: sholxgt on June 06, 2016, 11:04:04 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on June 06, 2016, 10:01:59 PM

As usual, you missed my point.  As you do 90% of the posters on this forum.  I was saying that it's a slow outdated platform that can be tuned to out accelerate modern cars, but can't run with anything on the top end.

The power you quoted and crappyness of the motor are correct.  Keep in mind that there are plenty of crappy motors that do OK when needed.

The 5.0 Mustang in my garage put 532 to the back tires with the factory original 120k mile short block.  No, it's not a modern 5.0.  It's the factory 302 in a 1990 LX hatch.  Runs ok when needed also since it's 3,200 lbs soaking wet with factory equipment, A/C, driver, etc.

I don't even know what to say...Your 5.0 that did 532 was really far from stock...Give me 50 grand and I could give a 1 liter 3 cylinder geo metro engine make 750 to the wheels...It's not the factory 302 if you almost tripled the power
How does one tune a crappy engine to "out accelerate modern cars" but also at the same time doesn't run with them on the top end?

There isn't much power to be had from a "tune" on a 4.6 N/A in a crown vic.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress