• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Articles on Fuel Systems

Started by SHOdded, May 29, 2016, 07:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Want to find out how your fuel injectors are doing?  xIt is quite simple if you access to an advanced scantool like SnapOn Ethos/Modis etc, and this is what it does:
! No longer available

Relative compression test:
! No longer available

There should be no DTCs present at the test, and the battery should be in good shape.  Perhaps an annual check would be advisable.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

https://www.underhoodservice.com/oil-direct-fuel-injection/

"High-Pressure Fuel Pump and Oil
The main destroyer of high-pressure fuel pumps is delayed oil changes. Wear between the camshaft lobes and the high-pressure pump follower prevents the pump from generating enough piston movement. Less movement of the pump means less pressure. The ECM uses the camshaft and crankshaft position sensor inputs to synchronize the high-pressure fuel pump actuator with the position of each of the camshaft lobes. The ECM regulates fuel pressure by adjusting the stroke of the pump.

You should examine the lobes on the camshaft before installing a new, expensive high-pressure fuel pump. A lack-of-power complaint may improve from this measure, but will never be completely corrected."

SHOdded

Fuel property effects on low-speed pre-ignition

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0016236118308858

QuoteAbstract
This work explores the dependence of fuel distillation and flame speed on low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI). Findings are based on cylinder pressure analysis, as well as the number count, clustering, intensity, duration, and onset crank angle of LSPI events. Four fuels were used, with three of the fuels being blends with gasoline, and the fourth being neat gasoline. The blended fuels consisted of single molecules of different molecular types: a ketone (cyclopentanone), an alcohol (2-methyl-1-butanol), and an aromatic (ethylbenzene). All three pure molecules have RON values within ±2 and boiling points within ±5 °C. These fuels were blended with gasoline to a 25% mass fraction and were used to run the engine at identical LSPI prone operating conditions. The findings highlight that fuels with similar boiling properties and octane numbers can exhibit similar LSPI number counts, but with vastly different LSPI magnitudes and intensities. Moreover, the results highlight fundamental fuel properties such as flame speed are critical to characterizing the LSPI propensity and behavior of the fuel.

SHOdded

Why it is important to shift to SN+ certified/compatible oils - not only for drag strip conditions, but at long stoplights or onramps or city driving.  Many will face this situation on a daily basis as traffic continues to deteriorate.

QuoteThe raw fuel doesn't have sufficient time to fully vaporize, due to a lack of turbulence and an abbreviated dwell time. This fuel can puddle between the upper piston ring and ring land. When mixed with the oil, it can produce this low octane compound. When the throttle pedal is punched after extended idling, this compound can pre-ignite, causing severe damage to the piston rings and lands.

Another factor contributing to LSPI is a fuel's distillation curve, which displays how easily a fuel evaporates. Interestingly, whereas a racing or premium fuel is typically desired for performance driving, a standard fuel will vaporize more easily. While it is still necessary to have a high-enough octane to support an engine's compression and performance needs, some racing fuels with a high distillation temperature can be detrimental in direct-injected engines. This is due to the higher octane racing fuel's resistance to vaporization and the resulting LSPI occurring in direct-injected engines.

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/engine/the-highly-specific-life-of-ls-and-lt-based-motor-oils/

SHOdded

Octane - RON more relevant than MON.  Also, intake air temperature, pressure, and engine speed seem to affect knock readings more than octane.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Understanding+the+octane+appetite+of+modern+vehicles.-a0478823007

SHOdded

Ethanol blended fuels can decrease LSPI-knock ... but only if HIGH blends are used.  In this study, E20 and E30 actually increased the incidence and severity of LSPI-subsequent knock events.  E50 still has the propensity for more LSPI, with decreased propensity for resulting knock events.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Influence+of+Ethanol+Blends+on+Low+Speed+Pre-Ignition+in...-a0528616644

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on April 22, 2019, 12:17:31 AM
Ethanol blended fuels can decrease LSPI-knock ... but only if HIGH blends are used.  In this study, E20 and E30 actually increased the incidence and severity of LSPI-subsequent knock events.  E50 still has the propensity for more LSPI, with decreased propensity for resulting knock events.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Influence+of+Ethanol+Blends+on+Low+Speed+Pre-Ignition+in...-a0528616644

Geez...what a clusterfu#k. Since meth is a akly fuel it also contributes to this.....great.  Looks like I will be looking more into actual race fuels.   
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

18SHO

Quote from: SM105K on April 22, 2019, 09:50:15 AM

Geez...what a clusterfu#k. Since meth is a akly fuel it also contributes to this.....great.  Looks like I will be looking more into actual race fuels.   

Race gas additive is the best bet , I may be working on that next . 2 full cans in a full tank of gas gets a true 100 octane
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

SM105K

Quote from: 18SHO on April 22, 2019, 10:09:07 AM
Quote from: SM105K on April 22, 2019, 09:50:15 AM

Race gas additive is the best bet , I may be working on that next . 2 full cans in a full tank of gas gets a true 100 octane

I was looking into Torco Accelerator.  However I have a fuel station that sells 95 and 100 octane straight out of the pump kinda near my house.  I don't drive the SHO much so I might just bite the bullet and see what happens if I run straight race fuel all of the time.   Going to email Brad later.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

Moving to SN+ oil is your first goal.  Because if you don't, then the problem of LSPI-inducing oil particles remains.  The next thing is to keep the injectors clean, since it affects spray patterns and cylinder wall spatter.  It was found that rotating the injector 45 degrees would increase wall spatter, so imagine the smooth flow of fuel interrupted by deposits making the spray go willy nilly ...  Again, not to alarm, just to make aware.  I do not know how big an issue the deposits are.  Every aspect is being researched, but not much quantification by way of importance, other than oil first, fuel second.

I have not yet begun to research what fuel will help with that.  Tho I do know there is VERY little research on current fuel additives like Techron/BG in DI situations.  There is supposedly a custom additive proven to reduce/eliminate fuel injector deposits, but I cannot find it on the open market.

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on April 22, 2019, 11:26:43 AM
Moving to SN+ oil is your first goal.  Because if you don't, then the problem of LSPI-inducing oil particles remains.  The next thing is to keep the injectors clean, since it affects spray patterns and cylinder wall spatter.  It was found that rotating the injector 45 degrees would increase wall spatter, so imagine the smooth flow of fuel interrupted by deposits making the spray go willy nilly ...  Again, not to alarm, just to make aware.  I do not know how big an issue the deposits are.  Every aspect is being researched, but not much quantification by way of importance, other than oil first, fuel second.

I have not yet begun to research what fuel will help with that.  Tho I do know there is VERY little research on current fuel additives like Techron/BG in DI situations.  There is supposedly a custom additive proven to reduce/eliminate fuel injector deposits, but I cannot find it on the open market.

I agree with the oil.  Going with what you said, I am going to jump over to the Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 after looking into it on Bob's list.  Again just going to change it often.  I am averaging less then 100 miles a week on the SHO right now.  With the 95 unleaded I will be hopefully relieve the stress of the fuel system, and hopefully gain some more POWA!  We will shall see.  I like screwing around with this car.

SHOdded

The oil should relieve most of the LSPI fears, I think.  People don't just move to a new spec without due cause.  As of yet, the %age allotted to fuel itself for LSPI occurrences is yet undetermined.  BUT, higher ethanol blends do seem to have a higher risk to reward ratio in this regard, bolstering those who want to go full E85 ...

mattr66

Lubrication Engineers 8854 5w-40 is the best oil for gen 1 ecoboost period..... $140 for 5 gallons usually.  I beat the crap out of my car and it runs noticably more quiet with it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Do you have oil analysis data to share, Matt?  I know one of our members (panther) was running it in his SHO way back when.  And also, how did you come to select 5W40, what MY is your SHO?