• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"Check AWD" Warning dash display

Started by shawmcbigdis, May 14, 2016, 01:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawmcbigdis

So on my 2013 EcoBoost Flex, twice in the past 3 weeks I've got a "Check AWD" warning on the dash. When I get to my destination and turn off the car, when I turn it back on the warning is gone. I just checked with my OBDII scanner and there is no error saved in the ECU. 

Is this a real problem, or maybe something like it just ran over a rough patch of ground and that warning pops up by default. On our old Trailblazer SS, that would happen with the traction control, you'd drive over some rough patch and it would say there was a traction control error. Then on next start it would be fine. I'm hoping thats what it is, and not a real problem with the drive-train. It's only 3 years old, and 42k miles, so engine and trans are still under warranty, but still not something I want to have to deal with. I find even warranty work can be trying to have done most the time.

So is there anything else I can check? Or do I just wait until it happens again, and go straight to the dealership when it come on, or ignore it and move along?

Thanks
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

AJP turbo

What wheels and tires do you have?

Ptu and rdu filled properly with fresh fluid?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

glock-coma

I've had the traction off light come on a few times on my 2010 SHO. It always clears after a restart.
No codes stored.
Not sure what causes it, but it never lead to any issues 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

L1gerZero

I had the same thing happen with the advancetrac. I was 800 miles from home and it randomly turned on right after i put it in reverse. Turned it off and back on and it was gone. When i got home i took it to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong and not to worry about it unless it pops up again. I've had no issues 4,000 miles later.

It seems that just like with computers, the codes might get mixed up and they just needed a reset.
2017 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0 AWD

SHOdded

Check AWD
Displayed in conjunction with the Throttle
Control/Transmission/AWD light when the
AWD system is not operating properly. If the
warning stays on or continues to come on,
contact your authorized dealer as soon as
possible.

Possibly the wheel speed sensors need cleaning, but more usual to have the wrench or Service AdvanceTrac lights come on in that case.

Didn't drive the Flex through high water right?  Probably not an issue if you have the PTU vent extension into the engine compartment next to the master cylinder/reservoir.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shawmcbigdis

We have the stock black 20" Titanium package wheels. Haven't driven through high water. Only light on is the wrench, with the "Check AWD" pop up error. PTU and RDU have not been touched, by us at least. We've only had the car for about 4-5 months. Will the dealer refresh fluid in there if I tell them the warning has been coming up?

Speaking of dealers, anyone on here in the Oklahoma City area, and know of a good dealer service department?
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

AJP turbo

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

I'd check for uneven tire wear first.

ZSHO

When did you start using the OBS Scanner? Do you leave it plugged in?  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Quote from: ZSHO on May 14, 2016, 05:09:19 PM
When did you start using the OBS Scanner? Do you leave it plugged in?  Z
Good thought, Z!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shawmcbigdis

Tire size is 245/50R20. I assumed that is the stock size, but I just checked and I guess stock size is 255/45. That makes for a .62 inch smaller tire, or 2%. But its the same all around, so while it may effect speedo/odo, again by 2% which is pretty small, I would assume the drive train would be fine with it. The AWD cars I've had before, just needed same size all around.

The scanner, I do not leave plugged in all the time, only plug it in while using it. In this case I hadn't had it plugged in for a few months.
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

AJP turbo

Im not positive but that could he a problem because the rpm and signal from the speed sensors at the wheels because things will be out of whack

Output speed shaft vs wheel speed and engine rpm will conflict i think

You can change sizes but the overall OD needs to match closely to the stock size

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

A tune can adjust the wheel/tire size for you, I think dealerships can do this as well.

shawmcbigdis

Yeah, this thing does have a lot more computers monitoring everything as apposed to my previous AWD cars. It just seems weird that this never happened until recently. We've had the car for 4-5 months, and that never happened until 2 weeks ago.

Still I guess I can contact Livernois and see if they can put the tire size compensation in my tune.
2013 Flex Limited
MDesign CAI
LM Tune
3 bar map

Bigfoot

I've has the AWD OFF message once, but that was when i had to throw the spare on for about 25 miles to limp to a tire shop. new tire back on, message off no issues since. 

2011 SHO
2013 5.0