• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lower Control Arm bushing - Help

Started by elund126, May 06, 2016, 02:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elund126

I was able to remove the entire LCA, but I can't get the rear bushing off (the big silver part opposite of the ball joint). Does anyone have any tips or tricks, or am I going to go have to buy a new one?

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

SHOdded

Pretty sure the LCA is supposed to be replaced in its' entirety.  But there IS a procedure for just the bushing.

Lower Arm Bushing

Special Tool(s)   PIC Remover, Drive Pinion Bearing Cone
205-D002 (D79L-4621-A) 

Removal

Remove the lower arm. For additional information, refer to Lower Arm in this section.
Index-mark the bushing-to-lower arm position for reference during the installation procedure.
NOTE: The Drive Pinion Bearing Cone Remover is used to secure the lower arm bushing while separating the bushing from the lower arm.

Using the Drive Pinion Bearing Cone Remover, a suitable press and adapters, remove the lower arm bushing.
PIC

Installation

NOTE: The Drive Pinion Bearing Cone Remover is used to clamp and hold the lower arm while installing the bushing.

Install the Drive Pinion Bearing Cone Remover onto the lower arm.
PIC

Transfer the index mark to the new lower arm bushing.
NOTE: The Drive Pinion Bearing Cone Remover is used to clamp and hold the lower arm while installing the bushing.

Align the index marks and using the Drive Pinion Bearing Cone Remover, a suitable press and adapters, install a new lower arm bushing.
PIC

Install the lower arm. For additional information, refer to Lower Arm in this section.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

elund126

Thanks. I ordered the LCA from Rock Auto, but didn't even think about the bushing. Argh. I have the car tore apart and of course, nobody around here has the new part.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

elund126

I ordered Motorcraft. I bought the LCA and a wheel hub assembly (humming noise) from Rock Auto. I ordered a rear bushing from a dealership just now - part number 9G1Z3C403A - and will be here tomorrow. So, the SHO sits on jack stands for a day.

Crazy price difference. Dealership price for Motorcraft $180, Rock Auto (Moog) $34.00.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

SHOdded

salsathe4th

I just got both of my lower control arms replaced and the bushings were going bad along with the ball joints. I'd be surprised if the new arms didnt come with the bushings and ball joints with it.
"Do or do not, there is no try"         2010 MKS, 22" Motiv Maranello Rims, Mdesign CAI with VTA, LMS 4X tune and lovin' it
-master yoda

elund126

The new part comes with the ball joint and one new bushing. But, the bushing that is to the rear of the car is a different part. When I looked at it before I ordered, it looks like the control arm can just slide out of the rear bushing, but that is definitely not the case!!
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

elund126

Update - I could not get the rear bushing installed. I had to take the parts to a mechanic friend who used a hydraulic press. So, if you are going to replace your lower control arms, make sure you have a plan for the rear bushing. As a side note, I also swapped out the front driver's side hub assembly (MOTORCRAFT BT4Z1104B). I had a humming sound that had increasingly been getting louder.

Here are the part numbers

Lower control arm (Driver's side) - MOTORCRAFT MCF2260
Lower control arm (Passenger side) - MOTORCRAFT MCF2259
Rear bushing - MOTORCRAFT 9G1Z3C339A, or MOOG K200363

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

SHOdded

Sad that the bushing is not included with the LCA, hope your SHO is good now, tho.