• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F-150 EcoBoost general questions...

Started by FracaSHO, May 08, 2016, 05:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FracaSHO

Just picked my CPO 2014 FX4 EcoBoost. Got some questions.

1) How do I permanently shut off the DRL's (it's a Canadian truck)?

2) The recommended fuel is 87. Any benefits using 93 (on stock tune)?

3) On my SHO I added a 170* T-stat and colder plugs gapped to 0.030".  What T-stat and plugs should I use on the F-150? If any.

4) I have the 20" 6 spoke wheels, 275/55/20 I believe. My company does bridge work so I'm on a lot of construction sites; dirt, gravel, sand, rocks, mud, snow, etc. what are a good set of off road tires that are also good on dry pavement and not loud that are 33" to 35" tall?  I plan on keeping the stock wheels.

5) On my SHO I vented the BOV to atmosphere. Can I do that on the F-150? Any how to's?

6) No plans for performance mods as of yet. I may however tune it. What are my tuning options? If I get a tune, can I still use the tow/haul mode while on the tune? Or do I need to switch back to stock tune to tow?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Brad
Former SHO Owner
Ecobooster 4 Life
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

ZSHO

Brad you can definitely have the DRL'S turned off at the Dealer simply with IDS software which should not take more than 10-15 min and best of luck with the new acquisition and certainly you can get a Towing TUNE.  Z   :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FracaSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on May 08, 2016, 06:31:37 PM
Brad you can definitely have the DRL'S turned off at the Dealer simply with IDS software which should not take more than 10-15 min and best of luck with the new acquisition and certainly you can get a Towing TUNE.  Z   :thumb:

I guess what I'm really saying is, if I had a tune, could I simply use tow/haul mode without having to load a separate tune (stock or towing).

Brad
Former SHO Owner
Ecobooster 4 Life
Brad

r1crusher

Fraca...the answer to your question is no.  You'd have to load the tune based on your needs.  I've not seen anyone offering an on the fly tune change like those in the diesel community w/ HP tuners.

You can have a performance tune created for any octane fuel you wish to use.  Running a 93 octane tune should net you the most increase in performance.  I simply run an 87 performance tune since fuel is a bit cheaper esp. when filling up a 36 gal. tank.

As for plugs, I change down to a .030 gap using OE plugs with my tune but changing the t-stat is not a requirement.  I'm not currently running a lower stat.

Yes you can certainly do the VTA mod.  On '13+ F-150's you only need to unhook one tube which is under the intake pipe going into the intake.  There's plenty of info around on this, just google for it.

I will also tell you that if you ever do plan on towing with your truck DO NOT use the performance tune while doing so.  Get a tow specific tune or just return to stock when towing.

If I can help you with any other questions just post up or shoot me a PM.  I have '13 SHO and F150... :D

'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

FracaSHO

Quote from: r1crusher on May 08, 2016, 10:16:00 PM
Fraca...the answer to your question is no.  You'd have to load the tune based on your needs.  I've not seen anyone offering an on the fly tune change like those in the diesel community w/ HP tuners.

You can have a performance tune created for any octane fuel you wish to use.  Running a 93 octane tune should net you the most increase in performance.  I simply run an 87 performance tune since fuel is a bit cheaper esp. when filling up a 36 gal. tank.

As for plugs, I change down to a .030 gap using OE plugs with my tune but changing the t-stat is not a requirement.  I'm not currently running a lower stat.

Yes you can certainly do the VTA mod.  On '13+ F-150's you only need to unhook one tube which is under the intake pipe going into the intake.  There's plenty of info around on this, just google for it.

I will also tell you that if you ever do plan on towing with your truck DO NOT use the performance tune while doing so.  Get a tow specific tune or just return to stock when towing.

If I can help you with any other questions just post up or shoot me a PM.  I have '13 SHO and F150... :D

Thank you sir. I'll keep that in mind.

Brad
Former SHO Owner
Ecobooster 4 Life
Brad

SHOdded

The topic has been split, further discussion on intercooler etc. moved here:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6328.0.html

Sorry, Brad!  Hope you understand.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FracaSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on June 14, 2016, 04:17:08 PM
The topic has been split, further discussion on intercooler etc. moved here:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6328.0.html

Sorry, Brad!  Hope you understand.

It's all good.

Brad
Former SHO Owner
Ecobooster 4 Life
Brad