• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Trying to get meth dialed in... Issues

Started by JCam550, May 02, 2016, 08:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Sinister I agree mostly...but for a perfect tune, anytime you introduce an external fuel source you will have to pull fuel...better tunes have low stft's...
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Sinister-CO

I'm with you AJP, but I think we all agree they're spraying too much meth. They should either try the smaller nozzles, turn down the pressure or a combination of the two.
Just because everyone else is using the bigger nozzle doesn't mean you have to. We've already seen another person that is running rich as well.
2015 Explorer Sport
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
2003 V-Rod - Black/Silver Anniversary Edition
1987 Grand National - High 11's at altitude

Scott4957

Quote from: Sinister-CO on May 03, 2016, 04:26:52 PM
I'm with you AJP, but I think we all agree they're spraying too much meth. They should either try the smaller nozzles, turn down the pressure or a combination of the two.
Just because everyone else is using the bigger nozzle doesn't mean you have to. We've already seen another person that is running rich as well.
It actually is being used for the extra fuel. Not saying a smaller nozzle is not the answer but Torrie has tuned plenty of these engines on meth, I'm sure he would have already came to the same conclusion. This is the first meth log I have seen with knock so it's not the norm.

Another option worth mentioning since you talked about adjusting pump pressure. I don't think that is an option on the new pumps, but the controller varies pressure based on boost by controlling voltage to the pump. Rather than starting at 8psi and full at 10psi, we could start at 8 and full at 20psi, as boost drops in the higher RPM's, as long as its under 20 the controller will lower the voltage to the pump and in turn the pressure, maybe this will reduce the amount of meth and even things out.

2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

AJP turbo

may have tuned many but having stft's pegged and in the .70's and afr's in the .70's also is less than ideal

Mif i had meth i would want afr in the low .80's and i would attempt to adjust the fuel curves so that stft's got lot closer to 1.0
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Scott4957

Quote from: AJP turbo on May 03, 2016, 06:49:38 PM
may have tuned many but having stft's pegged and in the .70's and afr's in the .70's also is less than ideal

Mif i had meth i would want afr in the low .80's and i would attempt to adjust the fuel curves so that stft's got lot closer to 1.0

Yeah I agree, its going to make more power for sure. I will see how the revisions go and if I end up with a final tune and its rich I will see what he thinks about a smaller nozzle or adjusting the controller. We will see, I will share my logs in another thread. If the OP makes changes please let us know.

Sinister-CO

I'm sure your tuner will get it worked out for you. I was merely passing along what I was told by the Snow guys one of my first times out with it at Bandimere. I thought gee, I have a fast car and probably need a lot of meth. Turns out it was way too much.
2015 Explorer Sport
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
2003 V-Rod - Black/Silver Anniversary Edition
1987 Grand National - High 11's at altitude

Scott4957

Oh no, i get ya, and I agree it sure looks that way. We will see what he can do with it, it may be an attempt to error on the side of caution as well. I am by no means an expert on the topic. I would love to see more meth logs from other tuners and with different nozzle sizes!

Sabtaj1

Maybe try a diff brand nozzle.  I never used my snow ones cause the threads were s--t.  I run an alchohol injections nozzle 10gph as torrie recommended.  No problems here. Maybe ur nozzle isn't making a good mist.  Just a thought
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

Scott4957

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on May 03, 2016, 08:46:52 PM
Maybe try a diff brand nozzle.  I never used my snow ones cause the threads were s--t.  I run an alchohol injections nozzle 10gph as torrie recommended.  No problems here. Maybe ur nozzle isn't making a good mist.  Just a thought

That may be worth a shot. I did see your post about the crap threads on the snow. I considered using a different brand nozzle because of your post but when I got my kit the threads looked good. You bring up a good point, his nozzle may be having issues and not atomizing the meth well, causing wall wetting like another poster had mentioned. 10gph and 625ml/min is essentially the same size, be it a bit smaller, but its ability to better atomize the fuel could make a world of difference. If you don't mind, could you share a log? I would be curious to see what it looks like. Thanks for jumping into the conversation!

Jcam, did you test the controller/nozzle prior to install into the charge pipe? Not likely a problem because you seem to be flowing plenty of meth, but just a thought, maybe pull the nozzle and check the screen. You could also test with water to ensure it is spraying properly.

JCam550

Thanks guys for all the input. 
Scott - I did check the nozzle before and after install.  It's def spraying plenty of fluid with a nice big spray pattern. 
Maybe a nozzle change is in order...
2010 SHO - Tuxedo Black, 402a, non-PP, Unleashed 93 Octane, 3 Bar, 170 T Stat, 534 plugs, MDesign intake, BOV VTA, 5% window tint all around, 2013 fender badges, Snow Stage 2 water/meth, JLT catch can, Amsoil fluids, Tommy Z grille, H&R Springs

Sabtaj1

I was gonna load my last data log and post it but I am not sure how to post it on here???

13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

Scott4957

Quote from: Sabtaj1 on May 04, 2016, 09:10:19 PM
I was gonna load my last data log and post it but I am not sure how to post it on here???
If on the PC, there is an attachments button under the box you type the body of your post.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SHOdded

You will typically see the QUICK REPLY box at the bottom of a thread.  Click on PREVIEW to see your the full REPLY options.  Then you will see the ATTACHMENTS button below the text box.

Or click on REPLY below the last post in a thread to take you to the full REPLY options.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Sabtaj1

13 Eco flex.

Scott4957

Thanks for posting! I will let AJ be the judge, what I see is a very conservative meth tune based on the boost I am seeing. STFT seem better than other logs. But with the lower boost and load its hard to compare apples to apples. Regardless, the number you laid down at the track with that big girl says its working for you! To be honest I would be happy with that number on meth in my MKS and my tune looks to be hotter on the first revision. I would love to see the progression of the tunes that got you to this point. Do you remember if you where getting knock and he dialed it down? Again thanks for posting and great numbers on the track!