• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How- To" 2010-2012 Brake Master Cylinder and Brake Booster Retrofit

Started by EcoPowerParts, July 14, 2013, 12:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash712us

Metal, did you ever report back on what this upgrade did to improve your cars braking?

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

themetalmaster

Its posted at the top of the writeup. Under outcome.Thanks for reading it :)

Outcome:

On my stock 2011 Ford Taurus SHO the brakes started to engage after depressing the brake pedal about halfway. Being such a heavy (and expensive!) car, this can be quite nerve wracking.

After the retrofit, brakes engage with less than half an inch of pedal travel. The pedal is still somewhat soft, but that is just a characteristic of the car. The pedal feel is exactly what it feels like on the 2013 MY SHO. This is a great supporting mod for a big brake kit, but makes a huge difference with just the stock brakes.
2011 Ingot Silver Ford Taurus SHO 402A
Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/45/ZR20
2013 Brake Booster and Master Cylinder

RealityCheck

Finished the swap tonight.  Outcome is exactly as described by themetalmaster - the pedal engages much sooner and the pedal feels much firmer than the stock 2011 setup.  Unfortunately, the 2011 is still cursed with undersized brakes, so my next mod will probably be a TCE front brake kit and 2013 rear rotors/calipers.  During the master cylinder/brake booster update, I also noticed the vacuum manifold that feeds the brake booster is different.  Among other things, it uses a hard plastic tube along the fire wall instead of a rubber hose.  The entire setup is around $50, so I may give it a try.
2013 EB Flex Limited, 93 octane Unleashed tune
2014 PP SHO, 93 octane Unleashed tune, PPE catted downpipes, PPE noise maker eliminator, H&R springs
2011 PP SHO (sold), 93 octane LMS Stage 4+ tune, 13.1@106

themetalmaster

2011 Ingot Silver Ford Taurus SHO 402A
Performance Package
Multi-Contoured seats
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 245/45/ZR20
2013 Brake Booster and Master Cylinder

RealityCheck

2013 EB Flex Limited, 93 octane Unleashed tune
2014 PP SHO, 93 octane Unleashed tune, PPE catted downpipes, PPE noise maker eliminator, H&R springs
2011 PP SHO (sold), 93 octane LMS Stage 4+ tune, 13.1@106

EcoPowerParts

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

Bosscav

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on August 22, 2013, 11:07:02 PM
I think I need to do this ASAP! :)

Sorry to resurrect an old one but this is a pretty common problem with a LOT of 2010-2012 SHOs.

Mike, did you ever get around to doing the swap? I am going to attempt it once things warm up in the spring. I just want to make sure all of the components fit and last for years.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, White Platinum Tri-coat Metallic, 402B options package, 20" Nickel Aluminum wheels, purchased 6/26/2014 with only 17k miles. Previous owner: Little old woman who bought it for the heated leather seats...

FoMoCoSHO

So I was studying this as I need to complete the swap on the Lincoln.

It appears the the PN for the booster may have changed.

For the MKS and SHO application, Rock Auto is showing the PN as BRB137

ZSHO

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 26, 2018, 04:37:46 PM
So I was studying this as I need to complete the swap on the Lincoln.

It appears the the PN for the booster may have changed.

For the MKS and SHO application, Rock Auto is showing the PN as BRB137
Correct FoMoCo! It looks like Ford Part No DG1Z-2005-B is replaced by DG1Z-2005-D- BRB127- BRB137-

Best of luck.  Z

Booster Assy - Brake
When Replacing This Component, 2L523 Has To Be Replaced

$94.81

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-booster-asy-brake_dg1z-2005-b.html?Vin=1FAHP2KT5DG183206&Filter=()&Location=pd:,

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6514950&jsn=416https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6514950&jsn=416

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FZMAN

Bringing back an old thread..
Owned my 2012 Ford Taurus SHO for a few years now and just heard about the 10-12 master cylinder and booster retrofit. I just installed parts from a 15 SHO and currently am having a vacuum leak around the master cylinder and brake booster connection. Is there a gasket that mates the two parts? Also after bench bleeding and bleeding all four calipers I'm still having a squishy pedal until about halfway down.
Any insight would be much appreciated.

SHOdded

Did you install new, oem parts or ...? 

there IS a seal between the MC and booster that if compromised will leak brake fluid into the booster, not sure about a vacuum leak tho.

did you bleed the calipers in sequence, with fluid topped off in the reservoir/cap open?  have you tried bleeding the abs yet?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FZMAN

I purchased a used oem booster and master cylinder off of a parts car. Originally, i was missing the gasket that went between the booster and master but i've since located one. It looks like i had some air in the ABS module because it several hours of bench bleeding and bleeding each caliper to firm up the pedal. Braking has definitely improved over the 10-12 setup.