• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is our hpfp used in any other di?

Started by tgambob, April 22, 2016, 03:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: panther427 on May 04, 2016, 07:41:20 PM
I always wondered how well a cp3, cp4 or other diesel injection pump would survive with gasoline. Obviously there is a huge difference in pressure. 3000psi versus almost 30000psi. But there has to be a way
The pump doesn't even run at 3K, it's capped at 2150 so there is some room if someone were to figure out the tuning.

tgambob

I noticed the cap now that I'm watching fuel rail pressure through forscan. Idles at around 238 and max has been 2000 so far
2010 non pp. Air raid, sct itsx, unleashed 93 boost, 3 bar, ngk

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: tgambob on May 05, 2016, 06:06:45 PM
I noticed the cap now that I'm watching fuel rail pressure through forscan. Idles at around 238 and max has been 2000 so far
Sounds like pump pressure, not rail pressure.

I see 2150 on the pump and 2300-2700 on the rail.

tgambob

I will have to double check the pids then. I am monitoring frp-fuel rail pressure under forscan pcm module? I see no checkbox for pump pressure? Would you happen to have the formula for the rail and the pump?

AJP turbo

Fomo what are you talking about pump pressure?

When i log fuel rear pressure and fuel rail pressure i think they are the same in live link..one is an oem pid and one is a different pid...can't remember what its called...but they mirror eachother in the log

I can command 3k and im sure it would deliver that in the too end but i never wanted to try that much....and i still have tested my last settings at higher boost yet...maybe this weekend
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Sorry, there is a commanded pump pressure and rear (rail) pressure.

AJP turbo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 05, 2016, 10:37:28 PM
Sorry, there is a commanded pump pressure and rear (rail) pressure.

Hhmm ok, that must be in torque? I don't see that in livelink

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

adamantium

Since we are throwing ideas around one that popped in my head was mirroring the valve cover and pump cam shaft for the other head essentially giving each bank of 3 cylinders its own pump. Probably easier just to get a new Raptor intake manifold with port injection. Also, has anyone looked into changing injectors? VW community has been doing for a while. Get an injector from another engine, usually larger displacement, or even a different brand in some cases with a higher flow rate. Bosch apparently makes a majority of the injectors but with different flow rates and spray patterns per the manufacturers request.
2013 Explorer Sport. Stock for now.

AJP turbo

They make larger injectors already and have value files in the SCT database....However they are useless with out fuel pressure...It's not a simple problem...I don't even think the ECU has the controls built in it to accommodate addition fueling...You would have to be able to run the drivers....Most likely the extra fuel metering would have to be done by a standalone unit, such as the water meth controllers.

And if you mirrored the valve cover to add another di pump, I'm not even sure if both cams are the same..Something tells me the left and right banks have different cams

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

adamantium

No doubt it's not an easy task. The cam would more than likely have to be a custom grind. It has an extra lobe ( 2nd cam from the left ) to operate the pump. Which also make me wonder if adding a pentagon shaped lobe would increase flow by having 5 pumps per revolution instead of 4. I think the pump lobe is square if I remember right.

Pic for reference.
2013 Explorer Sport. Stock for now.

tgambob

Thank you for the pids, I'm monitoring fuel pressure demanded and fuel pressure actual. I really wish I could work out a way to do a dual needle gauge lol. After doing my 3 bar today is that is one baby Lil pump, I really feel the a very compact base could be made to run 2 of those belt driven off the front. I have a couple old  compressors at work that look like a great base, probably work for proof of concept anyways. Use the crank on it to make a new cam drive type lobe and put the pump on the plate where the air pump was. V twin base makes a v twin fuel pump.

AJP turbo

I think it's more sophisticated than that...Good luck though....I just realized you live like 10 minutes from me..

The high pressure pump is an electro mechanical device with actuators and solenoids

That baby pump is capable of deliver fuel for 450hp and over 500ft/lbs tq at the crank

Tgambob, do you know how the pump works?

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

tgambob

Not particularly that's why I'm trying to figure this out. I just figured its fixed displacement and used a bypass valve to control fuel pressure probably on a pulse width solenoid. Or is it one of the new variable displacement rotary vane ones? I realize I'm making it sound way simpler then what it is but I have learned over time when I start getting real technical I start losing people. I have access to a engineering department and several machine shops through work. Having people owe you favors is a good thing lol. I got pipe benders, industrial plasma cutters, 3d prototyping all the cool toys. If you are that close man come up and play I got a nice big 8 car garage with whatever you want we can use whenever. Just don't have a lift I do forestry, coal mining and oilfield equipment so a lift is useless. I got the mechanical and electrical part and it seems u have the programming part down to a science we could work some magic

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: tgambob on May 07, 2016, 08:48:39 AM
Not particularly that's why I'm trying to figure this out. I just figured its fixed displacement and used a bypass valve to control fuel pressure probably on a pulse width solenoid. Or is it one of the new variable displacement rotary vane ones? I realize I'm making it sound way simpler then what it is but I have learned over time when I start getting real technical I start losing people. I have access to a engineering department and several machine shops through work. Having people owe you favors is a good thing lol. I got pipe benders, industrial plasma cutters, 3d prototyping all the cool toys. If you are that close man come up and play I got a nice big 8 car garage with whatever you want we can use whenever. Just don't have a lift I do forestry, coal mining and oilfield equipment so a lift is useless. I got the mechanical and electrical part and it seems u have the programming part down to a science we could work some magic

It is a feed forward system and the pump doesn't control pressure, the injectors do. The pump will do 3K, injectors will do 3700K, but I think the rails are only good to 3K.

OBD troubleshooting guide attached for tgambob.