• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Passenger side half shaft bearing vibration

Started by Gear_head, April 20, 2016, 12:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gear_head

I recently isolated the bearing was the cause of my slight driveline humming, which very mildly begins around 50 and is most pronounced at 70, before almost going completely away at 80+

Not having changed the ptu oil yet, there could be a slight possibility it is contributing to my driveline humming.

Trying to locate my replacement shaft has proven to be complicated and ended with my local ford parts manager advising I should look to the forums for help . Needless to say, I had already researched this issue before going to the dealer

Long story short, the replacement shaft they ordered me, doesn't match up with what I have. They assure me the 2014-15 sho half shaft is now the replacement for my 2010, even though they admit they now realize I need the whole right side cv assembly to use the new half shaft. They can not locate a tsb on this as well, saying ford hasn't provided one

Has anyone ran in to this, or am I blazing a new trail here?  I have access to a 15 sho I am going to put in the air and compare. I don't like the idea of tearing the car apart before I feel resonably sure I have the correct parts in hand.

I also have tried searching all over, including here, and had no luck finding much on this subject

Gear_head

I'm assuming nobody has had to replace their half shaft?  Bumping this before I dive in to this repair

ZSHO

I think its time to search for a different Ford;/Lincoln Dealer especially if they can find you the correct part for ya,what month/year build is your vehicle? it could be a Job 1 earlier production 09 build essentially different parts than a job 2 .. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Given the history of this Gen SHO, it is more likely a wheel bearing gone bad, I think.  They can go pretty early, so I would check those first.  The halfshafts have usually been replaced under the TSB/recall for the 2013 MY SHO, but not for other reasons.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

When you click the "supersession" button, you get this...

Motorcraft Supersession info:
3A329 Replaced By 3A329
3A329 Replaced By 3A329
3A329 Replaced By 3B436
3A329 Replaced By 3K305
3A329 Replaced By HN1
3A329 Replaced By HT1
3A329 Replaced By 3A329
3K305 Replaced By 3K305
3K305 Replaced By HB1

FoMoCoSHO

Gear_head

Quote from: SHOdded on April 26, 2016, 04:39:36 PM
Given the history of this Gen SHO, it is more likely a wheel bearing gone bad, I think.  They can go pretty early, so I would check those first.  The halfshafts have usually been replaced under the TSB/recall for the 2013 MY SHO, but not for other reasons.

I'm honestly unsure, I've never been asked that before. I'm sure I can figure it out though

Car has 90,000, so It definitely could be time. However, I had it on the lift, in gear at speed, and found it was the half shaft bearing via a stethoscope
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 26, 2016, 04:43:18 PM
What p/n is it?

I came up with this

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=Jpz1zyW8zSOFCnBiK9SdvA%3d%3d&id=352606719&m=2&search=true&year=2010&make=Ford&model=Taurus

But it does say there are alternatives

The shaft in the car is AA53-3K183-AC,
The box it came in says dg1z-3a329-e, but the shaft inside has
Dg13-3k183-be.

Once I saw this, I started comparing the shafts and seeing some subtle differences. Different bearing mount styles to the engine, the new shaft has the seal pressed on it, the location doesn't look right, etc

That live chat may have to be my next attempt

SHOme

I had this done to my 2010 around 80k.  It ate 3 RF wheel bearings before they would address it.  They said they replaced a halfshaft and that required a new carrier bearing and some other parts.  They said it essentially has a 2013 and up RF drive assembly.  It was done at Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg MD.  I seems to me Ford knew there was an issue with the RF geometry but wouldn't do anything until someone complains.  I had to call Ford to push the issue.  The stealership kept chalking up to tires.  After the second set of new tires they changed their tune.  When Fords engineer came out they jacked it up and ran it with all 4 wheels off the ground.  You could see the RF just jumping up and down.  Once they completed it my vibration was gone. If you have not started your project yet I may be able to find the exact parts they replaced.
2014 SHO, PP 3 bar, 160 T Stat, Livernois v10 Tune, UPR catch can. MDesign CAI

Gear_head

Quote from: SHOme on May 18, 2016, 01:18:47 PM
I had this done to my 2010 around 80k.  It ate 3 RF wheel bearings before they would address it.  They said they replaced a halfshaft and that required a new carrier bearing and some other parts.  They said it essentially has a 2013 and up RF drive assembly.  It was done at Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg MD.  I seems to me Ford knew there was an issue with the RF geometry but wouldn't do anything until someone complains.  I had to call Ford to push the issue.  The stealership kept chalking up to tires.  After the second set of new tires they changed their tune.  When Fords engineer came out they jacked it up and ran it with all 4 wheels off the ground.  You could see the RF just jumping up and down.  Once they completed it my vibration was gone. If you have not started your project yet I may be able to find the exact parts they replaced.

I appreciate the help. I haven't changed anything out yet, I'm holding off until July when the car can be down for a week if need be.

Gear_head

I never did fix this problem, due to finding two bent factory wheels on that side.  The wheels are coming and new tires will be going on.  I held off hoping that the vibration was a tire/wheel issue, but I doubt that it is honestly.

has anyone here replaced their own right half shaft as of yet?