• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Low-Speed Pre-Ignition in the MazdaSpeed DISI and Ford EcoBoost Motors

Started by FoMoCoSHO, April 17, 2016, 02:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on May 01, 2016, 04:30:49 PM
The ecoboost is not immune to it...come with the territory of direct  injection and boost...the ecoboost piston design actually helps to combat lspi

There are tables in the tune specifically for LSPI

The answer is not to avoid high boost at low rpm...that defeats the purpose of the tiny turbos oems are using...look at all the new turbo motors...they are making peak torque sometimes below 2000 rpm...

The newer engines have inherent designs to suppress the lspi and tuning cam timing helps
There is even a "megaknock" dtc...

SHOdded

Appears the MiniCooper can experience Super-Knock phenomenon:
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/229136-r56-super-knock-engine-fumbling-while-acceleration-loss-of-power.html

Proposed method of elimination of Super-Knock:
Suppression of super-knock in TC-GDI engine using two-stage injection in intake stroke (TSII)
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11431-013-5374-3
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Capri83RS

I'm curious on what the oil pressure is on a typical Ecoboost engine.  The 4G63 found in the DSM's had an oil squirter for the pistons to help combat heat, but with the 150psi of oil pressure at higher RPM's and the squirter only squirting into one side of the piston head, they were deemed hazardous in aftermarket builds, and recommended for removal.

How does something like that affect the EcoBoost family?
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2013 Mustang GT Track Package w/ Recaro's
2014 Taurus SHO

SHOdded

The only spec I can readily find is "Oil pressure - Minimum 30 psi @ 1,500 rpm with engine at normal operating temperature".  There may be a table providing the full-range of values, but I haven't found any.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Capri83RS

Quote from: SHOdded on August 01, 2016, 02:35:36 PM
The only spec I can readily find is "Oil pressure - Minimum 30 psi @ 1,500 rpm with engine at normal operating temperature".  There may be a table providing the full-range of values, but I haven't found any.

Hmm.  I did find an archived thread where people were talking about the problems with the 1g DSM squirters, and upgrading to the EVO 8 squirters.  I think the issue was less with the higher oil pressure, and more with the 1g squirters.
1984 Capri RS
1991 F150 4x4
2013 Mustang GT Track Package w/ Recaro's
2014 Taurus SHO