• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 MKS-T Flashing CEL and Missing

Started by TX MKS-T, April 16, 2016, 10:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sholxgt

Quote from: SHOdded on June 07, 2016, 02:32:05 PM
I don't see a mention of a cutoff or iinertia switch after 2009 MY, but there might be one.

QuoteFuel Pump (FP) Shut-off Feature

NOTE: Refer to the Description and Operation, Intelligent Access with Push Button Start in Section 419-01B to review the procedures for achieving the various ignition states (ignition OFF, ignition in ACCESSORY, ignition ON and ignition START) on vehicles with this feature.

In the event of a moderate to severe collision, the vehicle is equipped with a Fuel Pump (FP) shut-off feature that is initiated by the event notification signal.

The event notification signal is a signal provided by the Restraints Control Module (RCM) to the FP control module. Signal communication between the RCM and the FP control module allows the PCM to shut-off the FP .

Should the vehicle shut off after a collision due to this feature, the vehicle may be restarted by first turning the ignition to the OFF position and then turn the ignition to the ON position. In some instances the vehicle may not start the first time and may take one additional ignition cycle.

Interesting!  As usual, you are a wealth of information.  Sounds like instead of an inertia switch, they now collect the data from the restraint system.

Back to the OP, does it only happen with a passenger?  This is probably a crazy idea...Wonder if there's a problem with the passenger side seat belt sensor?

Another thought I have is that the PTU isn't working which is overworking the traction control to the point that it's having to basically stop all power production to stop the wheel spin.  That would account for a CEL.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

TX MKS-T

Quote from: SHOdded on June 07, 2016, 02:32:05 PM
I don't see a mention of a cutoff or iinertia switch after 2009 MY, but there might be one.

QuoteFuel Pump (FP) Shut-off Feature

NOTE: Refer to the Description and Operation, Intelligent Access with Push Button Start in Section 419-01B to review the procedures for achieving the various ignition states (ignition OFF, ignition in ACCESSORY, ignition ON and ignition START) on vehicles with this feature.

In the event of a moderate to severe collision, the vehicle is equipped with a Fuel Pump (FP) shut-off feature that is initiated by the event notification signal.

The event notification signal is a signal provided by the Restraints Control Module (RCM) to the FP control module. Signal communication between the RCM and the FP control module allows the PCM to shut-off the FP .

Should the vehicle shut off after a collision due to this feature, the vehicle may be restarted by first turning the ignition to the OFF position and then turn the ignition to the ON position. In some instances the vehicle may not start the first time and may take one additional ignition cycle.

Very interesting !  But if this was occurring id expect my car to shut off and not run in limp mode id assume. Still on the hunt for the issue though as its preventing me from modding further outside of my K&N panel filter.

Sholxgt - It happen either with pass or not. And I seem to be only to replicate when the gas level is 1/4 or lower and when it occurs its for maybe 15 seconds of limp mode CEL flashing then CEl goes off and normalcy is restored again.
2010 MKS-T * K&N Drop In/Power Stop Rotors
2007 Tundra TRD 5.7 - The Toy Hauler
2014 Mitsu Outlander - Kid Hauler

sholxgt

Wonder if it's tied somehow to the traction control system?  Do you have traction loss or interference from the traction control system prior to the CEL?  Thinking that you may be getting a fuel cut by the traction control system that is then leading to some kind of aftermath.

Maybe try a few passes with the traction control turned off and see what happens? 
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

TX MKS-T

Quote from: sholxgt on June 09, 2016, 09:22:06 AM
Wonder if it's tied somehow to the traction control system?  Do you have traction loss or interference from the traction control system prior to the CEL?  Thinking that you may be getting a fuel cut by the traction control system that is then leading to some kind of aftermath.

Maybe try a few passes with the traction control turned off and see what happens?

I usually disable traction control anytime I plan on "joy riding" so been off when the issue presents itself.

glock-coma

Quote from: TX MKS-T on June 09, 2016, 10:37:06 AM
Quote from: sholxgt on June 09, 2016, 09:22:06 AM

I usually disable traction control anytime I plan on "joy riding" so been off when the issue presents itself.
There's really now way to completely turn off the traction control unless yo have the performance package SHO. I don't believe that feature was available on the MKS.
When I go to the track it still kicks in even when "off"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

glock-coma

Also a flashing cel usually means the engine is cutting fuel to save the catalytic converters from damage. So you could have a bad fuel injector.

TX MKS-T

Quote from: glock-coma on June 09, 2016, 10:56:51 AM
Also a flashing cel usually means the engine is cutting fuel to save the catalytic converters from damage. So you could have a bad fuel injector.

Im thinking you got it. I swear everytime I unlock my car after its sits I can hear what sounds like the fuel pump priming in the rear unless this is the norm but to me it sounds exactly like a fuel pump prime.

glock-coma

That is the fuel pump and its normal.

SHOdded

I think the fuel pump priming runs off the dome light activation circuit, which would be the case with unlocking the car.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TX MKS-T

Darn oh well back to the drawing board !

On a side note my MPG has been a decent 20 mixed city driving since I have been taking it easy on her.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FaSSt9602

I've been battling a similar issue in my wife's 2010 Flex, although ours is MUCH more random.  It happens about once a month, maybe longer. 

Her's has done it twice rolling up to a red light, once rolling up to the end of our street, and once (my main cause for concern) driving down the interstate on a very windy downhill section.  Car will shudder very similar to the F-150 videos I have seen with the condensation issue, CEL will flash and the car has no power.  It will do this for about 10-15 second, return to normal, CEL will go away, and stores no codes.
2010 EB Flex Limited Dark Ink Blue Metallic/White Suede two tone

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

SHOdded

Any buildup in the IC?  Have you checked to see if the knock sensor wires may be the source of the problem?

FaSSt9602

Haven't pulled the piping or IC yet, but yes, there has to be something.  I have oil residue on the OUTSIDE of the charge pipe heading to the TB.
2010 EB Flex Limited Dark Ink Blue Metallic/White Suede two tone

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

sholxgt

I cleaned out my IC when I first bought the car.  At 27,000 miles there was already some build up.  Not a bunch, but enough to convince me that it needs to be checked every few oil changes and cleaned as needed.