• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2011 SHO Loud Clunking sound

Started by boosted95gt, December 18, 2016, 11:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boosted95gt

2011 Taurus SHO with 107k starting making a loud clunking sound. The noise gets worst when turning the wheels, but this is not the clicking sound that others have been talking about. I feel that it may be the CV axel. Have anyone every had this problem?

Thanks!

SHOdded

Tie rod end and strut mount are the 2 most common possibilities, but yes axle could be an issue also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

boosted95gt

SHOdded

Chain driven?  No chains in the whole powertrain other than timing chains.  Not sure if that answers your question.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

boosted95gt

how are the front differential driven?

SHOdded

Gears and shafts transfer power from the transmission to the differential to the axle.

66 Galaxie

Set up is basically a front drive transmission with PTU added to the passenger side of the trans that transfers power to rear wheels.

I would check the PTU as well as the axles.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

boosted95gt

Yeah the more research I do, its pointing me to the PTU. Its a shame this can be a cheap T5 mustang tranny lol.

66 Galaxie

I wish it was as easy as replacing a T5 in mustang too.  As I recall removing a T5 is about 10 bolts after dropping the exhaust...
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

boosted95gt

I am going to start with changing the fluid because the issue comes and goes. I'm hoping that its just a little low. How often do you guy change the fluid out? I'm hearing around 20k miles. Also if you have replaced the PTU how much should I expect to pay?