• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 MKS-T Flashing CEL and Missing

Started by TX MKS-T, April 16, 2016, 10:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TX MKS-T

So i have less than 800 miles on my new to me 2010 Mks and been taking it pretty easy on her 35k total miles. Yesterday evening the wife and i went to dinner and i had a situation where i had to merge into traffic from a stand still. Soi nail it from a stand still and approach 70mph rather quickly with trans shifting harsh in what i thought was 3rd but not certain. Once the shift occured i got this bad stumble so let off and notice my CEL blinking and car is mis-firing at this point. Wife looks at me and says i broke the car ugh....  so i begin to exit freeway and CEL goes off and everything is normal again wth. Drove it normal since and today and car acting like normal,any ideas ?.
2010 MKS-T * K&N Drop In/Power Stop Rotors
2007 Tundra TRD 5.7 - The Toy Hauler
2014 Mitsu Outlander - Kid Hauler

mmh64

You will have to do a scan with an OBDII tool. If you don't have one AutoZone does it for free. If there are stored codes retrieve those numbers to narrow it down. Someone should be able to help you with that.
2010 SHO, Livernois 93 4+x 3-bar tune.

SHOdded

Usually it turns out to be a case of tq management, but X2 on what mmh said.  Also check out TSBs in the HOWTO section, see if any fit the situation.

NOTE:  watch out for broken spark plugs or leaky fuel injectors if the issue recurs.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Definitely check for any codes especially after the check engine light was eminent and DO NOT remove the ground on the battery,there is a TSB but not quite sure its related.  Z    TSB #SB-21430
NHTSA ID #10034629
Date Announced:
JULY 01 2010
Additional Info:
How to Fix
Summary: FORD/LINCOLN: TRANSMISSION BUILT BEFORE 6/1/10 WITH 4TH GEAR START, DELAY/HESITATION ON ACCELERATION FROM A STOP-NO DTCS. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY A STICKING MULTIPLEX SHIFT VALVE IN THE VALVE BODY. *PE

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BiGMaC

Also... Remember that if the CEL flashing you mention means blinking... Turn of the ignition and don't drive the car.... If the CEL was steadily lit while on then you cans start the hunt.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

TX MKS-T

Well tried 2 different places to read any codes that may have been stored and nothing. Both places say nothing was stored. Been driving car still and all is normal so I'm at a loss on what happened...

I tried thinking of the conditions that evening and it was humid than normal and I haven't cleaned the CAC yet. I also had less than 1/4 tank of fuel but other than that nothing outside of the ordinary. I still need to set an appt for the inspection on my ESP so need to baby it till then or even park it.

TSS

2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

BiGMaC

I had this happen in my '13 SHO...  I was accelerating hard from a stop with the wheel turned to the left. The car jumped up and then fell flat... Acted like limp mode... Turned her off, restarted, and drove away normally. CEL never came back.  My dealer couldn't find anything... Not even one of those codes that are set and will only set a true DTC if it happens too often... That was over a year ago. It has never done that "jump up and drop flat" thing again.... Running like a top!....  Still, you gotta pursue it until all avenues are done.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

TX MKS-T

So it did it again this time though I got a smell of rotten egg once I got home as I was down the street. Light stopped flashing by the time I got home and all was normal again aside from that rotten egg stench...

SHOdded

Bad gas.  Don't hear about it  (smell) much anymore,  but there it is.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TX MKS-T

So the other day this random or so I thought was random concern started presenting itself again while I was enjoying a joy ride with my brother this past weekend. It did it from launch and even from a low 30 roll and happened to notice my gas was 1/4 full...

So next morning I went and filled up on 93* and mirrored my driving from prior day and what do you know no issue and smooth. Do our tanks have baffles because it seems to be realted to fuel starvation.

AJP turbo

Doubt its fuel starvation...these are highly engineered vehicles...im sure they are baffled ...dont think they mention anything in the owners manual about fuel levels and fuel starvation but i could be wrong
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

I've driven mine to zero miles to empty (and beyond) quite a few times without issue.

sholxgt

I am probably way out there on this one, but here's a thought...

Way back in the day, a buddy of mine had an over sensitive inertial switch on his Mustang.  When he would shift hard or launch hard it would cut off the fuel pump for a split second thinking that the car had been in an accident.  Took some time to figure that one out, but once we bypassed the inertial switch, problem solved.

Not sure if these cars have an inertia switch or not.  Old Fords had them located in the trunk with a button that could reset the switch.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

I don't see a mention of a cutoff or iinertia switch after 2009 MY, but there might be one.

QuoteFuel Pump (FP) Shut-off Feature

NOTE: Refer to the Description and Operation, Intelligent Access with Push Button Start in Section 419-01B to review the procedures for achieving the various ignition states (ignition OFF, ignition in ACCESSORY, ignition ON and ignition START) on vehicles with this feature.

In the event of a moderate to severe collision, the vehicle is equipped with a Fuel Pump (FP) shut-off feature that is initiated by the event notification signal.

The event notification signal is a signal provided by the Restraints Control Module (RCM) to the FP control module. Signal communication between the RCM and the FP control module allows the PCM to shut-off the FP .

Should the vehicle shut off after a collision due to this feature, the vehicle may be restarted by first turning the ignition to the OFF position and then turn the ignition to the ON position. In some instances the vehicle may not start the first time and may take one additional ignition cycle.