• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tuning with HP Tuners???

Started by Kacz, March 10, 2016, 03:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

Quote from: ajpturbo on March 11, 2016, 12:28:47 AM
u only saw the changes between a stock tune and the sct performance tune

Exactly, that's all I needed, and my point is there was at least 1 table that is accessible in SCT (shown by your TXT file) but wasn't available in the pre-15 HPTuners calibration files. The WOP Clip Switch doesn't show up AT ALL in the pre-15 HPTuners files, but shows up in 15-up EcoBoost HPTuners files and in your 2014 SCT file. This has nothing to do with your full tune.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

metroplex

AJP Turbo:
I datalogged some more, with the PIDs you recommended at SCTFlash (Torque Source). Instead of 0 or numbers, I see text like Driver Demand, Trans Trunc, Trans Shift, TQ Based Decel, TipOut Limit, TipIn Limit

Any ideas on what these mean? I think Trans Trunc refers to the torque limiters in the Transmission Torque Management tables.

I also didn't understand your comment about fuel pressure, "if it gets under 1200 psi you are out of fuel". I was datalogging the high pressure fuel data, and my Actual max pressure was 2530 psi, Desired max pressure was 2150 psi, and the SAE Fuel Pressure reading was 2202 psi.

The highest TIP Actual I saw was 60 inHg, same with desired - makes a bit of sense since it is a 2-bar MAP and I'm still stock.

Highest massflow reading was about 40 lb/min.

Running 87 octane, the most spark retard was 7 degrees in 2 cells, most of the other cells averaged between 1-3 if it pulled any spark.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

AJP turbo

Trans torque truncation isnt really a limiter but its a defined value that the ecu just stops seeing higher values than that

I would only worry about torque source during wot....driver demand is 0 and thats what u want at wot

U need to see the high pressure during the wot pull not just the max values....ur 2500 psi was just a spike probably when u lifted and the pressure dead headed because the injectors closed

U dont need to be concerned with pressure since you are stock...its not really a 2 bar sensor but close enough for conversation.....the sensor maxes at 206 kpa at 4.8 volts...which should be about 15.16 psi

It sounds like you are looking at alot of spikes and not steady state data...shouldnt be anwhere near 60 inhg or 40 lb per min when stock
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

metroplex

I'm looking at max values as well as the graphed outputs. So the longest steady state TIP Actual value I see is 53 inHg, but it swings between 53 and 58 inHg relatively smoothly, and the fuel pressure is 2050-2150 psi steady (not a spike) although it rose up to 2500 psi just prior. The Torque Source is Trans Trunc during WOT runs. The airflow ramps up to 37-38 lb/min very steadily averaging about 34 lb/min during the WOT runs.

I also logged Driver Demand Limit Source, and I saw mostly No Limit Active, but Combustion Stability Limited popped up as well as Trans Max Shift Rate during the WOT shifts.

An issue I observed is that I knew my throttle pedal was to the floor, and I kept it on the floor, but the Relative TPS %, and the Act/Desired Throttle angles were varying. Meaning, I started from a standstill and could see my relative throttle position go to about 64% (which is WOT for whatever reason the SAE PID translates to 64%), and my Actual/Desired Throttle angle is 82* which is max according to the stock tune, but immediately after it would drop down to about 40%, and starts swinging around 30% (throttle angle swings between 30* and 54*). It's probably because of a torque limiter?
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

AJP turbo

I wouldnt worry about tip....since you are stock most of the wot pull your throttle wont be open fully(82 degrees)....when the throttle closes the tip goes up....to see boost you should log manifold pressure....and also you want to see desired tip to see what you are targeting.....no need to log fuel pressure at stock boost....really no need to log fuel pressure unless you are going to run more than 15 psi below 2500 rpm and 20 psi above 3500 rpm....thats when pressure falls off

You are hitting a limiter in the trans in torque limit section....the ecu is using the trans to reduce output since you are hitting the threshold that is defined to be a limit of trans torque

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

metroplex

MAP is about 25 psi steady during the WOT runs. During the steady 53 inHg Actual TIP, the desired TIP is also 53 inHg.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

AJP turbo

Quote from: metroplex on March 15, 2016, 04:32:35 PM
MAP is about 25 psi steady during the WOT runs. During the steady 53 inHg Actual TIP, the desired TIP is also 53 inHg.

That must be absolute.....so like 10psi?

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Well whatever lol its stock so ur wasting time lol...u know how long ford spent on the stock tune?...lots

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

metroplex

I'm thinking that too, taking into account 1 atm. Here's a screenshot. This was a decent WOT 1-2 and 2-3 run.
It's not a waste of time if I'm trying to learn about what's going on and to at least establish a baseline.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Kacz

I pretty much made up my mind that I am going to give HP Tuners a try (with a lot of support from a good friend with a lot more exp than me). I already have HP Tuners and it is only 100 bucks to unlock the XSport......so why not.

I'm planning on keeping it 2 bar as well b/c I'm not too concerned about getting the last 4% of performance out of it @ 6,500 rpm. If the tables are easy enough to rescale, I may get a 3 bar MAP but we'll see how it goes with 2 bar.

I will be running a MDesign intake, 1 step cooler plugs, the 170 t-stat and plan on running 93 octane only.

I will keep everyone posted.
Kacz

J-Will

Quote from: Kacz on March 23, 2016, 08:29:53 AM
I pretty much made up my mind that I am going to give HP Tuners a try (with a lot of support from a good friend with a lot more exp than me). I already have HP Tuners and it is only 100 bucks to unlock the XSport......so why not.

I'm planning on keeping it 2 bar as well b/c I'm not too concerned about getting the last 4% of performance out of it @ 6,500 rpm. If the tables are easy enough to rescale, I may get a 3 bar MAP but we'll see how it goes with 2 bar.

I will be running a MDesign intake, 1 step cooler plugs, the 170 t-stat and plan on running 93 octane only.

I will keep everyone posted.

Good luck!  This would be my preferred method.  Even if I bought a tune (unlocked so that I could still manipulate), I'd want it loaded via HPT.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

metroplex

I'm curious to see how much the fuel trims change if at all with the MDesign. After I saw the report here that there was only a 3 hp difference between not running an intake at all vs the stock airbox, I'm pretty much leaning to keep the stock airbox and paper filter.

Also, I'd be curious to see the Turbo Massflow readings with your air intake and the rest of the tune. I used VCM scanner to record that PID, and plotted it on a table with RPM vs load. With the stock airbox and filter, my peak average massflow is 37.3 lb/min but the highest was 38.9 lb/min.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

AJP turbo

Quote from: Kacz on March 23, 2016, 08:29:53 AM

I'm planning on keeping it 2 bar as well b/c I'm not too concerned about getting the last 4% of performance out of it @ 6,500 rpm. If the tables are easy enough to rescale, I may get a 3 bar MAP but we'll see how it goes with 2 bar

Its not 4%..if you run high enough boost that warrants having a 3 bar map sensor you will have much more than a 4% gain

There are no tables to rescale for a 3 bar tune....2 values is all....sub in the tip slope and intercept in the map location slope and intercept...thats it for fueling....now you still need to adjust things to raise boost but you would do that as well even using the stock map sensor but with increased boost

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Kacz

Thanks for the input! The 3 bar map is back on.......
Kacz