• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

third times the charm

Started by nickwalter4, March 30, 2016, 05:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickwalter4

I titled this post "third times the charm" because the explorer sport is my third vehicle i'll be buying/modifying. I have been into the car scene for longer than I have been driving. my first car was an 09 mazdaspeed3. catless DP blew turbo seals and made white smoke everywhere; went to garrett 3076 pushed 23 lbs, blew the motor, fully built the motor and months later decided to trade in. found out that at the time the new explorer was built on a taurus frame and wanted one powered by the 3.5 gtdi, which wasn't a thing at the time although the SHO was. traded fully built mazda for 4dr tacoma: installed lift kit, winch on the front inside stock bumper, offroad lights in the grill, CB radio  etc etc. wife decided she wanted 3rd row seats and you know what they make now that they didn't 5 years ago? my 3.5 gtdi explorer. 2016 in bronze fire metallic.
being around Detroit with rough winters and kids first things i did were all weather floormats- husky liners.
reading posts about ecoboost longevity i got an oil catch can and airaid intake. as a write this i have either on the way or waiting to be installed 170 t-stat, catted PPE downpipes denso ITV22s. and hella sharp tones(the round horns the subaru guys put in their grille). i will shortly be ordering the SCT X4 and borla catback. livernois is right up the road from me but i have yet to check them out. the xsport is a daily so i don't want to get too crazy with it but shes my [other] baby and this is my hobby so i also want to make her purr.
wiring/diag @ ROUSH Ford prototype development. Fueled by, coffee, woodford reserve and the always delicious taco bell.

SOLD. '16 fire bronze Xsport: UPR catch can, AirAid, Hella sharptones, Husky floor liners, weathertech visors, PPE catted+coated DPS. 3bar, 170* TSTAT, SCT X4 by Unleashed 93 octane. Mobil 1.

ZSHO

Welcome aboard the EBPF Nick and please feel free to post some pics of your rides and best of luck and thanks for joining.  Z :WELCOME:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Being right down the road from LME makes an LME dyno tune a no brainer.

If you want to run E-85 blends and are more of a hands on person, a SCT tuner option may be a better bet. They have a pretty powerful software package that lets you datalog and most of those tuners will adjust off of those logs. There are also parameters you can adjust on your own depending on the level of access your tuner gives you.

If none of the above apply and you just want to enjoy your car, option 1 really makes a lot of sense because of your proximity to LME. By all accounts the facility is top notch so I'd say definitely worth checking out before you make your decision.   

Either option will give you a safely tuned vehicle capable of inducing SEG's.

EcoPowerParts

Welcome, thanks for joining and thanks for the DP order. :)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SHOdded

Welcome, Nick, congrats on the new ride, and look forward to pics & build logs :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nickwalter4

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 30, 2016, 07:06:44 PM

If you want to run E-85 blends and are more of a hands on person, a SCT tuner option may be a better bet. They have a pretty powerful software package that lets you datalog and most of those tuners will adjust off of those logs. There are also parameters you can adjust on your own depending on the level of access your tuner gives you.

If none of the above apply and you just want to enjoy your car, option 1 really makes a lot of sense because of your proximity to LME. By all accounts the facility is top notch so I'd say definitely worth checking out before you make your decision.   

I don't plan to run e85, it's available but not very prominent around detroit. if one day she becomes something other than a daily, bigger turbos and 1700cc gtdi injectors, which weren't a thing when i had my fully built mazda unfortunately. i go back and forth on whether or not WMI is something i'd like on my daily i thought of maybe installing but putting the system on an independent switch and flip it on and run a track tune or something.
hot pipes are def on the "i could do that to a daily" list.
wiring/diag @ ROUSH Ford prototype development. Fueled by, coffee, woodford reserve and the always delicious taco bell.

SOLD. '16 fire bronze Xsport: UPR catch can, AirAid, Hella sharptones, Husky floor liners, weathertech visors, PPE catted+coated DPS. 3bar, 170* TSTAT, SCT X4 by Unleashed 93 octane. Mobil 1.

ZSHO

Quote from: nickwalter4 on March 30, 2016, 07:48:56 PM

I don't plan to run e85, it's available but not very prominent around detroit. if one day she becomes something other than a daily, bigger turbos and 1700cc gtdi injectors, which weren't a thing when i had my fully built mazda unfortunately. i go back and forth on whether or not WMI is something i'd like on my daily i thought of maybe installing but putting the system on an independent switch and flip it on and run a track tune or something.
hot pipes are def on the "i could do that to a daily" list.
Did someone mention HOTPIPES,Truly a must in my books from www.ecopowerparts.com   Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Quote from: nickwalter4 on March 30, 2016, 07:48:56 PM

I don't plan to run e85, it's available but not very prominent around detroit. if one day she becomes something other than a daily, bigger turbos and 1700cc gtdi injectors,

How would you adress the fuel pump problem?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

nickwalter4

no plans on bigger turbos just yet. lol I'd look on here and see what other people have done. she'll stay a daily for awhile though. that's something for another time. I know i've read of dual in tank pumps, i haven't seen a performance hpfp hit the market yet. it took about 4 years for one to come out for the MS3. that's one thing i wish was a thing were bigger gtdi injectors and now they're a thing but i no longer have the car that needed them.