• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Poor Fuel Economy

Started by MontanaV, April 06, 2016, 11:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r1crusher

I've read some guys were trying gaps down to .028 but I don't think I've seen Torrie recommend it (or he might have but I've never read about it).  It didn't think the results at .028 were promising, again I very well could be wrong.
'13 SHO, AJP Tune w/ 3-Bar
'17 F-250 6.7 PowerStroke
'17 XSport

MontanaV

Quote from: SHOdded on April 07, 2016, 10:38:04 PM
These days, a lot of tuning is done remotely.  So you order the tuning device, it comes by mail.  The tunes will be sent to an EMail address you specify, or you will connect to a server from which you can download.  If you still want an in-person dyno tune, Livernois is the closest to you that I'd go with.  If you use a local dyno, Unleashed (and probably LET) will tune it for you remotely.
This is good, I'm starting to get excited looking at all these tunes.  I'm leaning towards the Unleashed.  I like the idea of being able to get them remotely downloaded and them being able to track my logs.  I also plan on bolt on systems. 

In your opinion, what should someone start with on a stock truck.  What would be the biggest bang for the buck, so to speak.  I also plan on asking Unleashed the same ?'s but wanted to get some non vendor input before asking.
2013 F150 SCrew Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost, 6.5ft bed, 3.31 Gears.  She's all stock from the lights to the pipes!!!

While we shall negotiate freely, we shall not negotiate freedom. John F. Kennedy 1917 - 1963

MontanaV

Checked the tires, pressure was good.  Changed the oil to Mobile 1 EP and Mobile EP filter.  Got the SP534 plugs on order should be here next week. 

I will probably switch my K&N air filter out for a dry filter.  Not sure I'm too keen on the oiled filters.  Lastly, I'll check/clean the MAF/MAP sensors. 

I'm slowly learning and this is some good stuff.  Really appreciate all the guidance.... 

As for the actual tuners, Ive noticed a couple folks didn't like the SCT as much due to the lack of focus on Tow and MPG, mostly performance and torque.   Are there any tuners that focus more on MPGs and Towing that include performance and torque?
2013 F150 SCrew Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost, 6.5ft bed, 3.31 Gears.  She's all stock from the lights to the pipes!!!

While we shall negotiate freely, we shall not negotiate freedom. John F. Kennedy 1917 - 1963

SHOdded

There are more mods to be had in the F150 world than in the SHO/Flex/MKS/XSport world, but I assume the list would be very similar to this, though the gains should be more substantial:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,808

Hard to beat a tune for price/performance on pretty much any platform these days.  OEM designs have improved that much!  Still plenty of boltons that work well, I would suggest looking at Full Race's FreakOBoost build to get ideas:
http://www.full-race.com/articles/what-is-ecoboost.html

Another build by Gearhead Fabrications:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VucA3G7qBHk

All depends how far you want to take it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MontanaV

Quote from: r1crusher on April 08, 2016, 10:52:47 AM
Quote from: MontanaV on April 07, 2016, 07:22:30 PM
Second...I just talked to my buddy with the same optioned truck as you.  He said that with winter blends his mpg sucks...like to the tune of 17's maybe an 18 for mpg.  So you might not be as bad as you think right now.  We he starts getting into the summer blends he's seeing 20-21 mpg.  I would certainly do the plugs as that's def. not going to hurt you in any way (gapped at .035 for stock and .030 when tuned).  When I changed out the plugs in our F150 we picked up about 1.5 mpg...again I'm tuned but I'd expect you to pick up a little at least.

Third...as I mentioned I'm a fan of Unleashed for tunes/tuning but everyone has their favorite vendor.  Just be sure to ask yourself what you plan to do afterwards.  Will you simply throw in the tune and forget about it?  Will you want to tweak it if it doesn't "feel" right?  How many tunes will I want/need?  Performance (93 oct), tow (87 oct), performance (87 oct), etc.  Support from Unleashed or LMS will be top notch, no question.  I went back and forth and settled on Torrie as I said before due to being able to data log and update.  LMS has their tunes very well defined but won't do data logging since it's just the way they do it...and I'm not saying that's bad just how they work.  That's absolutely not to say if you had an issue they wouldn't help you...they WILL.

I'm very optimistic that I will see the 20+ when the shift to the summer blend comes to the Big Sky.  I would like to pursue bolt on additions.  In your opinion, what would be the biggest bang for the buck to start off with on stock truck? 

SHOdded

Quote from: MontanaV on April 08, 2016, 11:10:34 PM
As for the actual tuners, Ive noticed a couple folks didn't like the SCT as much due to the lack of focus on Tow and MPG, mostly performance and torque.   Are there any tuners that focus more on MPGs and Towing that include performance and torque?
I would assume Unleashed & Leading Edge Tuning would be able to give you pretty much any combo you wanted.  Not very familiar with these guys, but 5Star & MPT are two other names I have heard bandied about for the F150, you can check them out as well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

r1crusher

I have a tow tune from unleashed for my F150...fyi. Just let the tuner know what you want.
'17 XSport

MontanaV

Alright, probably wrong thread for this but, wanted your all's opinion (pro's, con's, suggestions) since you all have been very engaged in my issues which I'm very thankful for. My night consisted of a lot of reading and Youtube.

1. Plugs SP534 - for sure will be swapped with .030 gap
2. SCT Live Wire TS -
3. AFE Mag force stage 2 pro 5R Intake
4. AFE Mach Force XP 4 inch Cat Back exhaust

I will let Unleashed or whomever the tuner's will be chime in on these add on's as well, just wanted some unbiased opinions first.  Thanks all and have a great weekend.

r1crusher

I'll chime in...

1.  Good
2.  I don't know that I'd spend the extra money for a TS personally unless you're going to mount it in the truck and use it to display data.  Money saved could be spend on other more important items.  Just stick with the X4, I've had no issues with either of mine for the SHO or F150.
3.  Intakes for the SHOs haven't shown lots of performance increases.  For the F150's I though there were a few that showed some okay gains but the OE stuff does a pretty decent job with air flow.
4.  Cat back exhaust will make things sound good but again not do a lot from a performance stand point, IMO.  If you want good power/torque gains you want some down pipes w/ that exhaust upgrade.  Then you'll see some REALLY good bumps in things.

I'm sure the others will chime in.  Those are just my opinions based on what I've read and know.  I'm sure there will be other views.
'17 XSport

ZSHO

MontanaV FYI think it will be best if you start a New Topic IMO and would make certain all the recalls are up to date and perform some basic maintenance to make sure she's running to its fullest potential and try to find yourself a tuner friendly dealer especially if you have warranty before the mod bugs begin IMHO.  Z :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MontanaV

Quote from: r1crusher on April 09, 2016, 11:29:24 AM
I'll chime in...

1.  Good
2.  I don't know that I'd spend the extra money for a TS personally unless you're going to mount it in the truck and use it to display data.  Money saved could be spend on other more important items.  Just stick with the X4, I've had no issues with either of mine for the SHO or F150.
3.  Intakes for the SHOs haven't shown lots of performance increases.  For the F150's I though there were a few that showed some okay gains but the OE stuff does a pretty decent job with air flow.
4.  Cat back exhaust will make things sound good but again not do a lot from a performance stand point, IMO.  If you want good power/torque gains you want some down pipes w/ that exhaust upgrade.  Then you'll see some REALLY good bumps in things.

Thank you, this is the type of information I need. 

MontanaV

Quote from: ZSHO on April 10, 2016, 07:59:04 AM
MontanaV FYI think it will be best if you start a New Topic IMO and would make certain all the recalls are up to date and perform some basic maintenance to make sure she's running to its fullest potential and try to find yourself a tuner friendly dealer especially if you have warranty before the mod bugs begin IMHO.  Z :)

I agree...I'll start the new thread for sure.  I didn't find any recalls to date and as for tuner friendly dealers, there isn't much out in my area, unfortunately.  I don't plan on getting to crazy, just looking for tuning programs for towing and MPG.  I appreciate the lookout though. I definitely don't want to create more problems for myself.  Thanks again!

BlackJac

I have a Towing tune on my Livernois tuner along with a few other Performance tunes.
2017 Fusion Sport - 401A/ Moonroof/ Magnetic Grey/ Livernois Motorsports 93 Stage 3

2015 Explorer Sport  - SOLD

Modded 1980 Corvette https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SUDndpy8bw