• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2 blown turbos

Started by fitnesstrainermd, March 25, 2016, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66 Galaxie

When did it start behaving like this and was there an event where it all started?  Any other abnormalities in the way it runs or just no boost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

fitnesstrainermd

noticed it 2 weeks ago and took it to the dealer last week.  There was no event or nothing specific that happened. 

Abnormalities:  throttle doesn't seem as responsive.  I am not sure bout the vacuum being at -10 at idle or if that is normal behavior.  Would that signify a leak somewhere?
2013 SHO PP, black, PPE Catted Downpipes, Magnaflo catback exhaust, Gearhead 93 tune, SP-542 plugs, EPP noisemaker eliminator pipe, MDesign CAI, 3-Bar,

Sabtaj1

These motors always seem to have oil in the intake tubes.  I thought it was crazy as well.  I cant see both your turbos going at once.  The wastegate seems like it could be stuck but then again I cant see them both getting stuck open together either. There has to be something else going on with it.  That would be a pretty damn big leak if the car makes no boost at all.  This may sound stupid but I would pull the air filter and start the car and cover the intake hole and see if the car suffocates, if not its pulling air somewhere else.  As for the wastegates, that issue is common with the F150's and I heard about a new SHO here locally that the nut actually came off the impeller side of the turbo and destroyed the turbo.   
13 Eco flex.

Stainless works non cat DP/ MRT axle back/ Airaid cai/ 170 T-stat/ 3 bar map/ 1 step colder plugs/ snow stage 3/ hot pipes w/TIAL BOV/ torrie tuned-SCT/

FoMoCoSHO

Your car behaves exactly like mine did when the tech forgot to reconnect the CAC tube.

ecoboostsho

I agree with FoMoCoSHO as I had the same thing from a dealer visit but that hose just pops off sometime on its own. I highly recommend you check the vacuum hoses on top of the motor under the engine cover. There is a sensor with 3 or 4 small short hoses going to it. One goes to a cold air tube and that is the most likely suspect.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

ZSHO

Here is a pic of the hoses to look for as other's kindly mentioned above along with the 2-bar map sensor located on top of the manifold,Btw installed new 1/4 clamps on the wastegate hoses for a more secure fit.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

66 Galaxie

Great picture and man those hot pipes look good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

glock-coma

Where are you located?
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

fitnesstrainermd

Sabta1

I did as you recommended and removed air filter and plugged the hose.  The car did not suffocate or appear to miss the air.  It did try to suck my towel in the hose though.  Also, It sounds like I hear a hissing noise and the rear bov sensor has a tremendous amount of oil present on it and around the tube. 
2013 SHO PP, black, PPE Catted Downpipes, Magnaflo catback exhaust, Gearhead 93 tune, SP-542 plugs, EPP noisemaker eliminator pipe, MDesign CAI, 3-Bar,

fitnesstrainermd

glock-coma

I was thinking that someone local to you from the site and more familiar with the typical boost issues could do a once over for you. Unfortunately I'm in Cleveland Ohio.
Have you contacted ford customer service?  They may be willing since your just out of your 5yr -60,000 warranty to help you out of good faith.
It's a long shot but it's worth a try. 
As other have said oil in the turbo piping is normal, just not an excessive amount.
If you car is not billowing out blue smoke I would guess it's not excessive.

It definitely sounds like something else is going on. 2 turbos going relatively early is not a common occurrence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SHOdded

IIRC, koons sterling ford is a good place to go for sales/service if you want to give them a try ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

fitnesstrainermd

Glock,

Thanks for the advice.  I am assuming there is a leak somewhere.  When I connected my SCTx4 to datalog, the car is showing -10.19 at idle.  When I press on the gas, it doesn't pass 0.00.  Is that normal or does it represent a vacuum leak?

I took the car to one ford dealer and once he saw found a p0299 code, they automatically said my 2 turbos are gone.  Took it to a different ford dealer this morning and they noted the same code, however, they want me to bring it back during the week so they can pull both turbos and check for bad seals etc.  They also checked pcv and did not find anything out the ordinary.  The good news is they refused to charge me the $150 diagnostic fee until they can tell me exactly what's wrong.  I can't say the same for the first dealer. 

glock-coma

When checking for boost with the sct are you in park? The car when it  is stock doesn't really build boost pressure unless it's under load.   
I would check while driving going slightly up hill while in 3-4 gear. Boost really builds quickly in that situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fitnesstrainermd

I've done it while driving in multiple situations and it still doesn't change above 0.00.