• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2 blown turbos

Started by fitnesstrainermd, March 25, 2016, 07:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitnesstrainermd

Just came from the Ford stealership and was informed I have 2 blown turbos.  2013 with 62,000 miles.  No mods and never abused.  What are my options?  I took it in because I noticed a significant loss of power, no sucking sounds and my mechanic found oil in the inlet tubes, throttle body.  If I am forced to buy 2 new turbos, should I just get the OEM ones or upgrade them?  Also, anyone have good idea where to buy? 
2013 SHO PP, black, PPE Catted Downpipes, Magnaflo catback exhaust, Gearhead 93 tune, SP-542 plugs, EPP noisemaker eliminator pipe, MDesign CAI, 3-Bar,

AJP turbo

Time for a second opinion...62k i would expect to see oil in the intake tract....i dont know what u mean by sucking sounds..i dont hear any on mine either...pretty hard for me to believe that 2 oem turbos sit themselves at the low boost that oem runs that are liquid cooled and oil lubrcated......Z wants to know if you have any codes set prior to going to the dealer?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Did you notice any smoke from the exhaust while driving?  Hoses split, clamps come loose, so those would be the first things to check.  There might be oil in the intake piping, but is it pooling or just a mist?  Misting is normal, pooling is not.  The PCV system is known to have shortcomings.  So much so that Ford released a redesigned valve cover to help combat the problem!  Valve cover gasket problems in the area of cylinder #3 (driverside along the firewall) are also well-known, can cause power loss and misfires.

And yeah, any idea on codes set in the PCM/computer?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BiGMaC

Quote from: fitnesstrainermd on March 25, 2016, 07:21:20 PM
Just came from the Ford stealership and was informed I have 2 blown turbos.  2013 with 62,000 miles.  No mods and never abused.  What are my options?  I took it in because I noticed a significant loss of power, no sucking sounds and my mechanic found oil in the inlet tubes, throttle body.  If I am forced to buy 2 new turbos, should I just get the OEM ones or upgrade them?  Also, anyone have good idea where to buy? 
I fel your pain!
I would get a second opinion... If it agrees with 2 blown turbos you can probably upgrade the impellers or buy new ATPs for a major upgrade for the same or less money. Be sure they tell you why they think the turbos failed to prevent recurrences.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

fitnesstrainermd

The service guy told me they ran the car and got a P0299 code.  I did not notice any burning oil smell, definitely no smoke from the exhaust.  When I first noticed the power loss, I checked all the hoses and clamps and everything appeared fine.  I am just blown away by having both turbos gone at the same time.  I just don't know what could cause that to happen. 

I am completely new to turbo driven cars so this is all a learning experience to me.  As far as the oil in the tubes, it was pooling and not a mist.  it was in the throttle body and the driver side tube next to the front bov. 
2013 SHO PP, black, PPE Catted Downpipes, Magnaflo catback exhaust, Gearhead 93 tune, SP-542 plugs, EPP noisemaker eliminator pipe, MDesign CAI, 3-Bar,

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: fitnesstrainermd on March 25, 2016, 10:08:34 PM
The service guy told me they ran the car and got a P0299 code.  I did not notice any burning oil smell, definitely no smoke from the exhaust.  When I first noticed the power loss, I checked all the hoses and clamps and everything appeared fine.  I am just blown away by having both turbos gone at the same time.  I just don't know what could cause that to happen. 

I am completely new to turbo driven cars so this is all a learning experience to me.  As far as the oil in the tubes, it was pooling and not a mist.  it was in the throttle body and the driver side tube next to the front bov.
Had any fuel services performed recently?

fitnesstrainermd

66 Galaxie

With no boost leaks and none of the typical howling or smoke from a blown turbo I would look at the waste gates as a possible problem. Check that they move freely and inspect the vacuum limes going to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 25, 2016, 10:20:07 PM
Quote from: fitnesstrainermd on March 25, 2016, 10:08:34 PM

Had any fuel services performed recently?
P0299 just means low boost... Even a boost leak or bov malfunction either of which is much more likely than two blown turbos. Get a mechanic instead of a tech.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

fitnesstrainermd

Copy.  But.  I am new to turbo vehicles.  Don't know what a wastegate, where it is, or what it looks like.  Any photos. Thank you all for the insight.  Also, I have a SCT x4 and havent had any codes.  I even checked before taking it to the dealer and did not find any.  The car drives fine and drives like a normal taurus without turbos.

fitnesstrainermd

Forgot to ask.  What/where is the MAP, and if clogged, can it cause a blockage of pressure?

When I connected my SCT x4 from torrie to read the codes, I also tried to datalog it and I noticed at idle, my boost psi was at -10.12.  When I accelerated, it never got to 0. 

ZSHO

I thought you had no mods?? Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Time to find a Lincoln dealership to evaluate your car.  They are much more familiar with EcoBoost technology.  If you have a tune installed, return the car to stock tune.  I'm guessing you don't have a 3bar MAP installed for sure!

MAP sensors can be cleaned with MAF Cleaner or electronics parts cleaner.  I don't think this is the issue, but ...  There's the MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold, that's stock 2bar, and is frequently changed to 3bar (requires tune to go with).  The other MAP sensor is a 3 bar, and you can find it on the pipe leading to the throttle body.  Part number ending in 9F479 for both of them.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

fitnesstrainermd

I don't have any mods.  Just got the scanner and tune from Torrie this week but have not installed it.