• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

WMI and tuning options

Started by iceberg65, March 16, 2016, 01:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceberg65

Hi Everybody;

A bit of background, I have a 93 octane livernois tuned 2013 with intake, downpipes, corsa, 160 tstat. The tune hasn't been updated for the downpipes yet and I have a 3bar ready to install, but being that I bought the car with the tuner, its a $250 (thats like $335 Canadian)fee to get registered with Livernois for tune updates. I just need tuning for the pipes and 3bar in the short run (no rush tho as I dont get cat codes). I do however plan on adding WMI in the long run, hence this thread; with this fee being required to stay with Livernois I am considering other options as the cost is minimized to switch if I sell the mycal.

Will Livernois only tune for the ALKY kit and 100% methanol or are they flexible?

On my cougar, I just ran a simple boost activated system with a small nozzle to keep IAT's down (it was an uncooled roots blower) and it did make a difference without being tuned for it, this gave me flexibility to run pure water as well or even turn off the system without putting my engine in danger. My ideal setup would be a smallish jet on a mild tune of 50/50 methanol run off a controller, and a mild tune that would give some room for error; then have a track day tune thats more aggressive which would only be used on days where I've taken the time to check everything over.

Has anybody run a wmi system without tuning compensation and seen benefits; the ecu should see a reduction in intake temps and be able to add at least some timing for this. It worked on my cougar; although without seeing maximum power gains. I'm not necessarily looking for the most power off the WMI system, but the best setup for what I want.
2013 SHO, Livernois tune, Airaid intake, Corsa catback
2004 Ram 2500 6"bds Long arm
2000 Supercharged Cougar

SHOdded

My latest understanding is that LME wants you to update the Tstat, 3bar, CAI and turboback exhaust prior to adding their Alky kit, for max results.  Downpipes optional.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Scott4957

I know people on the board have ran WMI without a tune for at least a short period of time. Take one grain of salt, I do not have WMI, but I don't see why a small jet for the purposes you describe would be an issue. Most use it to create substantial power using it as a way to add additional fuel due to the short coming of our fueling system. I want it so I can go crush on Corvettes on 100 degree St. Louis days LOL. But in all seriousness I am sure some actual users will chime in with their experiences. Let us know how it goes.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

JDW1

No way i'm changing my exhaust.  No offence to anyone that's done it but lets face it, our cars sound like garbage. 
13 SHO, Unleashed 3bar Tune, 1 step cooler NGK's, MDesign CAI, 170 t-stat and meth.

iceberg65

Quote from: SHOdded on March 16, 2016, 02:00:34 PM
My latest understanding is that LME wants you to update the Tstat, 3bar, CAI and turboback exhaust prior to adding their Alky kit, for max results.  Downpipes optional.

I already have the tstat, airraid dryflow intake corsa catback, livernois downpipes and a 3bar sensor (3bar not yet installed)

I know that a small jet shouldnt be problematic; just not sure what kind of gains are there for using it with only mild tuning; say mild enough that if something failed the tune could compensate for it via the knock sensors and afr readings. Keeping the intake tract clean is another nice benefit of wmi on direct injected applications.
2013 SHO, Livernois tune, Airaid intake, Corsa catback
2004 Ram 2500 6"bds Long arm
2000 Supercharged Cougar