• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rear Dome Light With LED's

Started by BlueSHO, March 11, 2016, 01:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSHO

My questions is will I need a resistor for instaliing rear LED dome/maps bulbs on my 16 or is it need with just some LED's?
2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

BiGMaC

I replaced every interior light that was not LED, except the vanity lights on the visors, using non-resistor LEDs... I guess there was enough load with everything on to keep the circuit happy. (Used 6000k temp to match the blue OEM ambient lights... Personal preference only).... No problems in two years... However, with LEDs in the f&r dome/map lights you wil notice a stepwise decrease in brightness on close scrutiny as opposed to the smith dim-to-off of incandescents.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

watts

I had to use a resistor when i did mine.  I believe this is what the "CAN-BUS" style LED's are for though.  I may be wrong.
2014 Taurus SHO - Sony, Mikko suede, 20" low gloss wheel option.

Weathertech mats; LED interior bulb, puddle lamp, and map light conversion; Custom trunk lighting, Custom subwoofer install, LED DRL kit.

BlueSHO

This is the LED bulb I'll use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

metroplex

The 2013s and earlier Tauruses seem to have a different rear dome light. If they didn't have a 3rd light in the middle, they wouldn't need a resistor. The 2014 and newer Taurus will need a power resistor. It is placed across the leads for the bulb, I chose the center light and wedged a 1.5k ohm 3w power resistor. The front map lights are on the same circuit.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport