• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

FOB Battery Dead

Started by Auggie, March 07, 2016, 06:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auggie

FYI. I have a 2015 SHO and I thought that I would find out how to start the car if the FOB battery was dead because my wife drives the car 90% of the time. I read the owners manual and removed the key from the fob. It then said to insert the key in the slot on the steering column or in the slot in the center council. I do not have either slot so I called Ford and they don't have a clue. It gets cold here in MN so this would be good to know. Does anyone or has anyone ever had to do this ?? If so could you answer this question and get back to me. I tried to post this question on the "SHO Form" but for some reason I am no longer able to post or reply ??

Auggie

FoMoCoSHO

Slots on both of mine in center console closest to driver.

BlueSHO

My 16 SHO has the slot under the center armrest closest to the driver. Has a small flap over it

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

ZSHO

Welcome aboard the EBPF Partner,there is a key backup slot in the center console compartment,with the buttons facing the rear of the vehicle and the key ring up,place the key into the backup slot,with the key in this postion press the brake pedal,then the the button to switch the ignition on and start your vehicle,hope this helps any and please introduce yourself under introductions and best of luck. http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html Battery is a 2032.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BiGMaC

Good advice below... Better yet, the cost of a battery a year is worth the grief factor if it dies... BTW my SHO is a DD and after about 18 months I got some erratic behavior from the fob which a battery change fixed.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Dxlnt1

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

Auggie

OK, I think I have got this figured out. The key in the FOB is only used to open the car door. Our car has the numbers on the door but if I forget the code I can always use the FOB key. And like you all said is to insert the FOB in the slot in the center council. Here's how I think this works? As you all know when a battery doesn't have enough voltage to operate the doors or start the engine the battery voltage is not at "0". SO when you put the FOB in the slot there must be a sensor there that will read low voltage and allow a person to step on the brake and push the button and start the engine. Thanks to you guys for your posts and I like the idea of just changing the battery once a year for good insurance.

Auggie

Dxlnt1

Perfect time to test it. Remove battery from fob and see if car starts. Would be good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

Auggie

OK, I will do that and get back to you guys.

Auggie

Auggie

Ok, I did what Dx suggested. I removed the battery and slid the FOB into the slot in the center council, pressed on the brake and pushed the start button, nothing? I removed the FOB and tried it again but this time I slid the FOB into the slot with greater force. The FOB went in deeper and I could feel something give. I stepped on the brake, pushed the start button and the engine fired right up !! There must be a switch in the slot that activates the starting system which would be a whole lot smarter then a low voltage sensor just in case the FOB battery was in fact at zero voltage. So disregard the BS that I posted in post #7.

Auggie

Dxlnt1

Awesome info. So now WE ALL KNOW! Thanks for the test and results!

Auggie