• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Wilwood Big Brake Upgrade (rear axle)....

Started by bpd1151, November 13, 2015, 11:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

After criss crossing multiple states, and logging in several hours of driving this past week, and setting a new world record with my SHO, I was greeted yesterday by the (re-scheduled) delivery of the rear axle "Big Brake" upgrade from Wilwood!

Heading over to the powder coater's today, to have the rotor hats powder coated white, to match the (same) front axle set up before proceeding with install.

Very much looking forward to having these all the way around at each corner.

Just thought to share and more (post-install) pics forthcoming!

Thanks bunches to Mr. Todd Cook over @ TCE Performance for not only making these kits available, but also for working with me in acquiring these!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

Finally tackled the rear kit install the other day...... Super elated to have the Wilwood's now at all four corners of my SHO beast. More pics to come eventually, but a few craptastic one's I captured myself:

The install of the rears was a little trickier than anticipated.

Had to grind down the crowns of the ears on the spindles in order to make the brackets fit properly.

We found out from Todd over @ TCE that we had the brackets backwards, but to his credit, he acknowledged directions weren't clear.

Also had a bad brake line fitting on the psgr side, that had been cross threaded from the factory, that was PITA to fix let me tell 'ya.

Had to run out to get more brake fluid, as bleeding them, although easy, was very time consuming due to the large calipers at each corner now.

Fun, fun, fun. NOT.

But anyhow, haven't logged many miles with them yet, less than 50 actually, but I can't express enough, how comforting it is, knowing when one presses one the brake pedal, this big 'ol pig of car will actually stop now, and with confidence at that. Shame on Ford for undersizing the OEM setup as severely as they had for the '10-'12 model years. Tsk tsk tsk.

Finally, I ordered extra pads when I ordered this rear kit, so now I have a matching set all the way around of the BP20's, which is a different pad compound than the Poly Matrix E's I originally ordered for up front.

I still have the E's, but will likely only use them for road coursing purposes exclusively.

CroR1

Looks very nice Mike. seems like a very rewarding mode to say the least. And I have not driven the 10-12 models, so I can not relate, but the 13 and up PP brakes feel very decent.

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: CroR1 on December 05, 2015, 04:47:31 PM
Looks very nice Mike. seems like a very rewarding mode to say the least. And I have not driven the 10-12 models, so I can not relate, but the 13 and up PP brakes feel very decent.
The first SHO I drove was a cinnamon 2010 , I walked away cause the brakes were absolute trash. That setup should've never made it to production.

FoMoCoSHO

BTW, congrats on the BBK....

Is the beast complete now?

CroR1

That bad, wow.

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on December 05, 2015, 07:16:52 PM
Quote from: CroR1 on December 05, 2015, 04:47:31 PM
The first SHO I drove was a cinnamon 2010 , I walked away cause the brakes were absolute trash. That setup should've never made it to production.

bpd1151

AJP...... no. And it never concerned me. Never have once used it in nearly 6 yrs of ownership.

FoMoCo.....  Is one ever really true done I ask? Let's just say this is one more piece to/of the mod puzzle.

CroR1..... yes, the factory set up for those model years was atrocious.  I went through three sets of rotors under warranty due to warping,  & once out of warranty, I upgraded to the EBC's, which were a great improvement,  but these Wilwood's are the creme de le creme.

If you were to draw a comparison, it would be the equivalent of running the Megan coil overs versus the H&R's.

Each is a step up from the previous.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

timbo

I'm curious why TCE used the W4A in the rear.  Why not the FNSL4R?  Great match, cosmetically and size wise with the pads, to the W4A.  Plus, with the mount height and the mounting distance between the stock holes, you can use the Wilwood bracket (minor mods of course).  Or they simply make their own bracket like they do very well.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

SHOdded

Might want to ask in the TCE subforum directly
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,131.0.html
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!