• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F150 Ecoboost turbo leaking oil internally

Started by aj hartman, February 06, 2016, 09:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aj hartman

I picked up a 3.5 from an F150 that was totaled. I'm going to be swapping it into another car. Long story short, when it was in an accident, the engine must have jolted around enough for the oil pan to hit something (could have happened during engine removal, transport, whatever but not sure) and there was a small hairline crack in it. So figured I would pull the oil pan to weld it from the inside, and outside. When I turned the engine over on the engine stand to pull the pan, I noticed oil leaking out of the passenger side turbo's inlet. Not just a drip either. It left a nice little puddle on the floor. The back side of the turbo filled up with oil. Picture of that below. The drivers side turbo was dry. To test it, I filled up the oil drain tube on both of them. Drivers side remained dry. Passenger side started to leak again. I'm new to turbos so not sure if a little bit is acceptable but I would assume no. I thought there might be a one way valve but then why isn't the other side leaking either when I filled up the drain tube while the engine was upside down? Any input?
IMG_3767 by AJ Hartman, on Flickr
NASA NE American Iron Champion 2013
AJHartmanracing.com
AJHartmanAero.com

SHOdded

These turbos are both oil- and water-cooled, so near as I can figure, the turbo has a blown seal, or the housing is cracked internally.  Either way, that turbo needs to go away.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!