• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Livernois Tune Madness on "Winter Blend"

Started by 14SHOCAR, January 26, 2016, 02:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

14SHOCAR

For Everyone's viewing pleasure... my exchange with Livernois....

WHY I have to PROVE to them that I have been having this problem from the beginning is ABSOLUTELY INSANE.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOdded

Quote from: ecoboostsho on February 04, 2016, 12:01:21 PM
I'm not going to get in the debate about PIDs being a good way to tune the car but they do at least provide some data about what is going on.
Absolutely.  If you think of the internals of the PCM as a black box, the PIDs can be construed to be outputs from that black box.  So obviously there IS merit to Livernois' assertions.  The question is whether SCT is tuning purely based on PIDs or are they taking the PID inputs from the tuner and making the changes INSIDE the black box.  Is changing PID behavior adequate, or do we need to change the internals of the black box for safe & reliable tuning?
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 04, 2016, 11:59:28 AM
Does that mean the tune is the problem? Nope. Does it mean he drew the rail pressure short stick? Quite possibly.
Very true.  The ends of the fuel rails are also known to get gunked up from time to time, so another possibility, esp if adding ethanol has a mild cleaning action.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

14SHOCAR

Quote from: ecoboostsho on February 04, 2016, 12:01:21 PM
I would just get my money back and move on but I suspect you will find yourself in the same situation with another tuner - or you will be tuning around the issue.

If Livernois is willing to give me my money back, I'd be happy to move on my merry way.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

SHOdded

Per Livernois:

"Brenton,

We are sorry that you are unhappy with your most recent tuning endeavor. Honestly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tunes nor the tuner. All of the issues that you have been bringing up are a direct result of running alternative fueling and various other mods that you were unhappy with. Your opinion is that the tune ultimately is to blame for all of that now, and you are entitled to having that opinion. However, we have literally hundreds upon hundreds of tuned SHO owners out there that can adhere to out regimen, and do not have the same issue(s). We attempt to help where we can and never shy away from credible critiques. You have had our tuning for over a year, that is a while without issue. If it was within a couple months we may consider this as an option. We wish you well going forward, and hopefully we will earn your business again.

Respectfully,
Livernois Motorsports"
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

Brenton:
I firmly believe that you need to take the car in to a good mechanic (yes, they are hard to find).  Usually a shop that has experienced personnel that don't just rely on computers to tell them what to do.  ElvenSHO can testify to that :)  Go to a Lincoln shop, usually they have more experience with EB engines.

A loose spark plug can cause "balloon pop" type sounds also:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/35652-engine-noise-after-replacing-spark-plugs.html

Spark plugs are torqued to a precise spec so that a) they don't move, and b) the position in the cylinder is known and static.  It is possible that incorrect positioning within the cylinder is causing improper flame fronts that are more evident when enough fuel is added.

But it could be a leaky fuel injector as well.  In short, get the mechanicals checked out thoroughly.  You just might save your car.