• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Weep hole in CAC - issues fixed

Started by 93Cobra, January 26, 2016, 12:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiWiAu

Quote from: 93Cobra on March 29, 2017, 11:28:14 AM
1. This hole does not introduce unfiltered air or junk into the engine. This is the pressure loop and the hole creates a very minor boost loss. We have measurements on this to prove how little.

Just because I'm feeling difficult... ;)

Where does the intake air on your SHO come from when you're running under vacuum (i.e. cruise)?

On my XSport, this air is still pulled (not pushed as it is when in boost) through the intercooler, so, in my case, a weep hole could draw unfiltered air IN when not under boost.

I didn't realize the sedans were so different. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

ZSHO

My SHO is still going strong with this weep hole fix. I have not had a misfire since doing this. Two things to point out:
1. This hole does not introduce unfiltered air or junk into the engine. This is the pressure loop and the hole creates a very minor boost loss. We have measurements on this to prove how little.
2. Cleaning out the intercooler does not solve the problem. This intercooler is finicky and can build up condensate at any point. With the weep hole, it is self cleaning and you guarantee never to have a misfire.
Its funny you mention that this so-called mod creates a very minor boost loss!!!
Is there any factual data or evidence to back up any such claims for this mod theory of yours ?
I don"t think its wise promoting this procedure AS IT CAN BE Detrimental to ones vehicle and ultimately cause more harm than good and any such mod is not supported and need to respect that and we need to move on.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

66 Galaxie

Quote from: MiWiAu on March 29, 2017, 07:19:54 PM

Just because I'm feeling difficult... ;)

Where does the intake air on your SHO come from when you're running under vacuum (i.e. cruise)?

On my XSport, this air is still pulled (not pushed as it is when in boost) through the intercooler, so, in my case, a weep hole could draw unfiltered air IN when not under boost.

I didn't realize the sedans were so different. :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm right there with you and my Flex works just like your Explorer.  :-)

If the EB motors had a MAF a weep hole would pop a check engine light due to the boost and vacuum leak...
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

12Murd3rSho

My SHO is still going strong with this weep hole fix. I have not had a misfire since doing this. Two things to point out:
2. Cleaning out the intercooler does not solve the problem. This intercooler is finicky and can build up condensate at any point. With the weep hole, it is self cleaning and you guarantee never to have a misfire.

How many miles have you put on your car since this now? Have you had any issues? The one thing I'm worrying about is if I drive through a deep enough puddle of the vacuum will actually pull water in. I know the 1/16 hole is super tiny. Have you thought about plugging it with a self tapping screw just for safety? Contemplating doing this. Can you please post a picture or a video of the weep hole in action and maybe the logs of testing?

ZSHO

Quote from: 12Murd3rSho on November 03, 2017, 05:11:39 PM

How many miles have you put on your car since this now? Have you had any issues? The one thing I'm worrying about is if I drive through a deep enough puddle of the vacuum will actually pull water in. I know the 1/16 hole is super tiny. Have you thought about plugging it with a self tapping screw just for safety? Contemplating doing this. Can you please post a picture or a video of the weep hole in action and maybe the logs of testing?
FYI- That member has not been active since 5/17 but unfortunately it's not a plausible Topic of discussion on this platform.  TIA.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

WillB

Quote from: ZSHO on March 29, 2017, 07:46:23 PM
Its funny you mention that this so-called mod creates a very minor boost loss!!!
Is there any factual data or evidence to back up any such claims for this mod theory of yours ?
I don"t think its wise promoting this procedure AS IT CAN BE Detrimental to ones vehicle and ultimately cause more harm than good and any such mod is not supported and need to respect that and we need to move on.  Z

Glad to hear that drilling a werp hole in CAC is not necessary.
Willb

Current truck: 2011 GMC 1500 CC 4x4 4.8L  - My last GM

Next truck: F150 SCrew 4x4 2.7EB.

timbo

I feel like adding to this, just to make sure things are covered well:

Yes, all transverse engines use the intercooler as the primary intake track to the engine (boost and vacuum run through it)  The Blowoff or bypass valves (still haven't gotten a definitive answer on how they actually function) are plumbed prior to the intercooler.  Any hole in the intercooler could potentially draw in unfiltered air and maybe particulates.

The biggest issue I have with this is the comment of boost loss.  A 1/16" hole will not leak a significant amount of boost, but what it does do is require the turbos to work harder to maintain a specified pressure.  You really won't lose anything (maybe a little bit of turbo response), but the computer will not allow the wastegate control valve (boost control) to open until the pressure is attained.  This equals higher shaft speed, which equals more wear.  How much more?  I don't know, but neither does anyone who has done this mod.

The oil in the intake can come from 2 places: either the valve cover vent that goes right before the forward (Left) turbo or from the turbos themselves.  I always have a thin film in my charge pipes and have my forward valve cover vent to atmosphere through a breather.  So, that oil comes from the turbos.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

93Cobra

I have put ~42k miles on the car since drilling the weep hole. All of the misfires I had have not been back since. Car runs great, and no problems. Gas mileage is in the 23mpg range for my mixed commute. The water/condensation buildup in the intercooler has a place to go now rather than creating misfires. If you are curious about more data points, ask the F150 folks.... problems they had were resolved same as mine.

ZSHO

Quote from: 93Cobra on January 18, 2018, 10:11:19 AM
I have put ~42k miles on the car since drilling the weep hole. All of the misfires I had have not been back since. Car runs great, and no problems. Gas mileage is in the 23mpg range for my mixed commute. The water/condensation buildup in the intercooler has a place to go now rather than creating misfires. If you are curious about more data points, ask the F150 folks.... problems they had were resolved same as mine.
FYI - This type of procedure is not supported on this Forum period!
I appreciate your cooperation and Need to move on! TIA.  Z

93Cobra

Not a problem - just passing on a fix for those who fight misfire issues and lack of performance. This 1/16" weep hole has fixed the issue and proven to be problem-free... both here, and the F150 ecoboost world.

ZSHO

Quote from: 93Cobra on January 18, 2018, 11:01:38 AM
Not a problem - just passing on a fix for those who fight misfire issues and lack of performance. This 1/16" weep hole has fixed the issue and proven to be problem-free... both here, and the F150 ecoboost world.
I think you Respectively made your point loud and clear until now and you still continue to mention this so-called fix above!!!!!! Time to move on!  Z