• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Weep hole in CAC - issues fixed

Started by 93Cobra, January 26, 2016, 12:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortech347

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 27, 2016, 12:09:56 PM
Quote from: Vortech347 on January 27, 2016, 12:01:24 PM
Why in the hell would you drill a hole in your intercooler? You're now venting out un measured air and causing a vacuum leak.

The air hasn't been metered at that point...Not a vacuum leak but a boost leak. Luckily for the fools who do this,  the car meters the air via the MAP sensor for primary fueling...It's the only reason this mod works without throwing things out of whack.....No holes in my pressurized system though.

That's right I forgot, I'm so used to tuning my ancient MAF cars. :)
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

Rodsmith

Anything wrong with drilling a hole in the inter-cooler and thread a bolt in there, then remove it every two months on a dry day drive for 20 miles then screw the bolt back in.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Vortech347

Drilling a hole through a part in the intake track is nuts.  You'll never properly remove all the metal shavings. 
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

ZSHO

Quote from: Rodsmith on January 27, 2016, 04:29:21 PM
Anything wrong with drilling a hole in the inter-cooler and thread a bolt in there, then remove it every two months on a dry day drive for 20 miles then screw the bolt back in.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I would just invest in a good suction type air compressor and have her suck it out while the front drivers side is elevated,had mine performed at the dealer for free,found roughly half an inch of oil and h20 mixture inside.  Z    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urMO7Z5d02k

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

f8tlSHO

Checked mine... Not a drop at 62k miles...

Sent from my iPhone
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

93Cobra

Now that I have some miles on this, the car is definitely more enjoyable. No acceleration issues and it feels much better.

93Cobra

Still going strong with this mod. Plugs are staying nice and clean, power is back, and gas mileage is up.

Bklynite

93cobra, is the car still running strong with the weep hole? Any issues?
2011 SHO - Catless 2.5 Downpipes, GH Intercooler, K&N air filter, JLT Cath Can, H&R Coil Springs

MiWiAu

I've seen this "fix" mentioned a lot on the F150 forums in the past. SMH

It's easy to occasionally vacuum out or back flush the CAC, so I will never be drilling my intercooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

Bklynite

About 3 weeks ago It began, the dreaded sputtering after a long day at the beach last thing i want is car problems,
check engine light was flashing & then it became solid, the next day the sputter was gone and so was the CE indicator.
a week later the sputtering began again with flashing CE, changed plugs to Autolight iridium plugs, I ordered 6 Accel coils thru Jegs but had to send them back because those had 3 pins our clips have 2 pins I
sent them back and purchased Motorcraft from Ford dealer, after installing sputtering continued, after i did some reading and watching some videos in went ahead,  drilled a 1/16 hole to the bottom of the intercooler,
a large amount of thick oil drained out, I drove around the block 5 times, parked and left it Idleing for 10 minutes, this morning I started  my car sputtering gone , it is smoother then ever before.
I read that quite a few of you guys are against that drilling but just wanted to let you all know it help me, CE light still on tho do i need to get it flashed at dealer? any suggestions?
oh, ill post pictures asap.
2011 SHO - Catless 2.5 Downpipes, GH Intercooler, K&N air filter, JLT Cath Can, H&R Coil Springs

Rockstar04

Can you add your vehicle information? (year/model/mods/possibly mileage)

Depending on the codes present, they may just need to be cleared out, other may need further investigation.
2016 Explorer Sport - Bone Stock

derfdog15

The CE light usually stays illuminated with any code that is set. Most likely a clearing of codes will remove it.

As for the drilling, glad it helped you, though I bet cleaning the intercooler out without drilling would have achieved the same result.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Bklynite

Only time will tell if that was a bad thing to do, thanks for your inputs
I'll attempt to install a drain plug to the PTU.
And good write ups for that job?

SHOdded

There are writeups for the 6F50 PTU, but not the 6F55.  AFAIK, you'd be the first to install a drain plug on this PTU.  IDK if the 13+ Perf Pkg PTU can be used as a guide as to where to install the drain plug.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!