• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is it worth it?

Started by Frozen Blue, January 30, 2016, 12:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frozen Blue

Hey guys I was hoping to get your opinions. I had a 2014 Taurus SEL and the stereo was weak. So during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals I picked up some things. I traded the SEL in on the SHO so I'm trying to figure out if it will be worth the effort of installing these or if I shouldn't even bother.

4 - Infinity Ref 6832s 6x8/5x7
1 - Kicker 300.4 4 channel
1 - Amp installation kit and speaker wire
2 - Kicker 2 channel speaker-rca converters

I've been reading through here and it seems people are pleased with the door speakers.

My questions are:

1. Should I bother installing these?
2. Should I just install the door speakers and not the amp(the SEL didn't have an amp)?
3. If I install the door speakers should I run the amp to those or use 2 channels for the front speakers and 2 channels for the rear deck speakers(the SEL didn't have the rear deck speakers).

Any advice will be appreciated. I'm not looking for a crazy sound system or anything. Just trying to improve it a little bit. I'll probably end up adding an amp/sub down the road also. Thanks guys.
2013 SHO non-pp
3 bar Map, 160° tstat
Powerstop Z23 rotors/pads
LMS v10

FoMoCoSHO

So you have a SHO now?

Upgraded Sony system?

Frozen Blue

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 30, 2016, 12:17:07 PM
So you have a SHO now?

Upgraded Sony system?

Correct I have a SHO now. I need to fix my signature when I get home. Sorry.
2013 SHO non-pp
3 bar Map, 160° tstat
LMS v10

FoMoCoSHO

IMO, it is way mid heavy. First thing I'd do is dial back the midrange a bunch. IMO it sounds much better and frees up some amp power for low and high end.

Past that, I just think it needs a sub for low end reinforcement.

I have a sub, amp and an Audiocontrol LCI2 that I will install one of these days. The LCI2 allows you to tap the rears for signal and provides a remote power as well.

Frozen Blue

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 30, 2016, 12:51:34 PM
IMO, it is way mid heavy. First thing I'd do is dial back the midrange a bunch. IMO it sounds much better and frees up some amp power for low and high end.

Past that, I just think it needs a sub for low end reinforcement.

I have a sub, amp and an Audiocontrol LCI2 that I will install one of these days. The LCI2 allows you to tap the rears for signal and provides a remote power as well.

I read another thread where you stated that exact thing and did it that afternoon. With the mid dialed wayyy down it sounds much better than it did. I know others are saying a processor is a must. But I think that's above my level and I don't want to spend that much. Sounds like I'll just save my Infinitis and amp for something else. Or see if I can trade the speakers for a sub.
2013 SHO non-pp
3 bar Map, 160° tstat
LMS v10

FoMoCoSHO

If you can bridge that amp it will probably work fine for the sub.

If those infinitys are more efficient they will play a bit louder than the stockers so you may not want to ditch them, they might sound better (or maybe not). Personally I wouldn't go through the hassle of adding extra amps and the processor. I'd slap the doors in and do the sub as suggested. Worst case scenario then is swapping the door speakers if you happened to like the stockers more.

Vortech347

Those infinities kick ass.  I have them in two of my stangs.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

wasinger3000

I have been considering adding a sub as well. Sat in a Tesla P90D last weekend and the audio was very crisp. I was embarrassed of the SHO audio on the ride home. hah.

Does anyone know what ohm and watt ratting the door speakers are?
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

glock-coma

Quote from: wasinger3000 on February 02, 2016, 01:17:03 AM
I have been considering adding a sub as well. Sat in a Tesla P90D last weekend and the audio was very crisp. I was embarrassed of the SHO audio on the ride home. hah.

Does anyone know what ohm and watt ratting the door speakers are?
4 ohm doors ,tweets are 4 ohm.  I believe 25w.
Centers are 8 ohm wired in parallel to 4 ohm. Subs are 2.3 ohm each.
I will double check later 
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)