• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Low whistle between 1500-2k RPM on light load?

Started by BigRedSHO, January 12, 2016, 11:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigRedSHO

Hey all! Still waiting for a wash to upload SHO pics (Washington rain), but I have been having a low whistle that will change pitch through 2k rpm until it pretty much fades completely, and I am wondering if anyone has run into this and what it can be attributed to. At both cold or normal temp running, under light load, the pitch starts low at 13-1500 rpm and will increase pitch, not necessarily decibel, through to around 2k plus or minus 100 rpm, and under heavy load, it doesn't exist in that range. Im finding it just a bit weird, but the car is running solid. Just curious, and thanks all for the assist on this! -Red

SHOdded

Unfortunately, that could be just about anything.  The first things to check would be all hoses (looseness, cracking) and clamps.  Hopefully it is just a vacuum leak of some sort.  There ARE smoke-in-a-can products to help with that if need be.  Other things (not so frequent in occurrence) include bearings, belts, and trans/PTU gears.  So if you can use a mechanic's stethescope to narrow down the location, that would be immensely helpful.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BigRedSHO

Thanks, SHOdded! Yeah I am going to check around the clamps and fittings today, and will post the finding. Do you think that the exhaust manifolds could play a part if the gasket is cracked or has broken a bit loose? Only reason I ask is every once in a while, it seems I get a rattle, but I can never duplicate on command, and my local dealer gave me deer in the headlights looks to what I described. Just curious. -Red

SHOdded

More likely the gaskets on the downpipe to catback interface than the ex manifold.  Intake manifold gasket could be a culprit though.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Bigrs is the car still currently stock,no aftermarket intake?? Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BigRedSHO

As far as I know, it is all still stock. I have some lifts nearby I will try to get some time on, but not until the weekend.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

I would also try grabbing a rubber mallet while under the car and gently hit the exhaust and DP one small section at a time to possibly track the rattle,not quite sure if the two are related but sometimes due to temp fluctuations my exhaust rattles upon morning cold startup,best of luck and keep us updated.  Z

BigRedSHO

Z, will do! Thanks all, I will make sure to get some closure posted on this ASAP.