• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

HID headlight bulbs and color

Started by CroR1, January 07, 2016, 06:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CroR1

I am curious if anyone knows what the strength of the color on the OEM HID bulbs is? I understand that 4,300K is the pure white, which gives the best visibility. However, mine seem a little blueish, and if I had to rate them, maybe between 5,000K to 6,000K. Anyone has any thoughts on this, please chime in.

Mods, I posted this in the wrong section, I apologize. Please feel free to move it to the correct section.

ZSHO

There rated at roughly 4300k and mine does not discharge any signs of blue tint,but will produce more of a slight purple which are the true intentions of having Xenon lights.  Z    [D3S] Bulb.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

CroR1

Maybe it is purple. Looks like blueish from inside of the car. In 2 yrs owning this car, I have never seen it with the lights on from outside, next time at night, I will check it out. But, I was just curious to confirm if it was in fact 4300K.

ZSHO

Do you have your high beams set to auto on the instrument cluster?? Try parking behind a white car or garage door at night for a broader spectrum.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

Quote from: CroR1 on January 07, 2016, 10:07:20 PM
Maybe it is purple. Looks like blueish from inside of the car. In 2 yrs owning this car, I have never seen it with the lights on from outside, next time at night, I will check it out. But, I was just curious to confirm if it was in fact 4300K.
I would personally worry when one blows out,there not cheap.  Z

CroR1

No, it's not set to auto. The less ECM interferes the less headache. A thought cross my mind to pick up a spare on eBay, Chinese knock off, and to throw it in a trunk just in case of an emergency. The last time I checked, an auto store parts sold them at 175 a piece, and I don't want to be stuck someplace and be forced to buy one at that price.

CroR1

wonder if anyone here has any experience with those ebay HIDs

BiGMaC

My auto hi/low beam switch has worked perfectly since I took delivery... No problems.... Don't give this a thought ...unless you like using the manual dimmer on the smart stem.

I never actually studied it other than appearance (day and night), but my own HIDs seem the same color... White... As my 5000K switchback turns when the turns are on white (Triton V3s) and the same color ... White... As my DTBL switchback DRLs when they are not signaling a turn.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

ZSHO

I was able to get a pic for ya this morning,as you can see there is a hint of purple to a certain degree and angle,hope this clears things up.  Z

CroR1

Yeah, looks white with just a hint of purple. I guess it look like it's 4300k.

ZSHO

It looks like Rock auto has some good prices on the D3S.  Z                             High Intensity Discharge (HID)
GE D3S Standard; Xenon HID  Info
High Beam and Low Beam; w/ HID headlamps
$66.99
Add Part
WAGNER D3S {#BPD3S} Halogen Capsules; w/ Xenon Gas; w/ Xenon Gas  Info   One of our most popular parts
High Beam and Low Beam; w/HID headlamps
Part ImageNext Image
$69.89
Add Part
PHILIPS 42302 {#42302C1} Standard  Info
High Beam and Low Beam; w/ HID headlamps
Part Image
$72.79
Add Part          http://www.rockauto.com/

CroR1

Good find Z. I figured I may not need them for a long time, but you never know. 1 spare in the trunk won't hurt.