• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

*HOW-TO* 2013+ Brakes on a 2010-2012...THEY WORK!!

Started by timbo, December 27, 2015, 10:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

I have brand new EBC red stuff pads and a pair of 3GD sport rotors for 13+ sho for 300$ parts go for about 450$ someone needs them
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

timbo

Quote from: Primalzer on November 17, 2016, 03:21:52 PM
Quote from: sholxgt on November 17, 2016, 02:33:21 PM
Quote from: Primalzer on November 17, 2016, 12:15:13 PM
Quote from: Primalzer on November 17, 2016, 12:13:24 PM
Quote from: Ryan02Stang on November 15, 2016, 04:46:33 PM
I'm looking to do this on my 2012 MKS, but does anyone know if the Lincoln 19 inch wheels will clear the bigger brakes?  I don't want to have to upgrade to 20 inch wheels...

Fancy meeting you here, haha

Not that I would, but could you, theoretically, throw the non-PP calipers on the PP brackets, and run the larger rotor set?

I want to make sure to say that my information is based on the SHO/MKS.  I'm not sure if it directly relates to other vehicles.

If you have a '10-'12 SHO/MKS, you need the brackets from a '13+ to upgrade to the larger rotors.  The '13+ has the same brackets regardless of PP or non-PP as the caliper bodies and rotor size are identical.

That much I know. I have a 2011 Flex, so I'll be upgrading brackets. Just for the future, if someone stumbled upon this thread, whether the stock (pre-'13) calipers or just the '13+ non-PP calipers would work with new brackets and rotors.

Calipers attach to the brackets in a different manner, so no.  The 2010-2012 calipers are attached to the bracket by an 8mm through-bolt to the slide pin.  The 2013+ has 14mm threads on the slide pin that go into the caliper and subsequently the bracket, no extra bolt.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

Primalzer

Quote from: timbo on December 10, 2016, 11:17:35 PM
Quote from: Primalzer on November 17, 2016, 03:21:52 PM
Quote from: sholxgt on November 17, 2016, 02:33:21 PM
Quote from: Primalzer on November 17, 2016, 12:15:13 PM
Quote from: Primalzer on November 17, 2016, 12:13:24 PM
Quote from: Ryan02Stang on November 15, 2016, 04:46:33 PM
I'm looking to do this on my 2012 MKS, but does anyone know if the Lincoln 19 inch wheels will clear the bigger brakes?  I don't want to have to upgrade to 20 inch wheels...

Fancy meeting you here, haha

Not that I would, but could you, theoretically, throw the non-PP calipers on the PP brackets, and run the larger rotor set?

I want to make sure to say that my information is based on the SHO/MKS.  I'm not sure if it directly relates to other vehicles.

If you have a '10-'12 SHO/MKS, you need the brackets from a '13+ to upgrade to the larger rotors.  The '13+ has the same brackets regardless of PP or non-PP as the caliper bodies and rotor size are identical.

That much I know. I have a 2011 Flex, so I'll be upgrading brackets. Just for the future, if someone stumbled upon this thread, whether the stock (pre-'13) calipers or just the '13+ non-PP calipers would work with new brackets and rotors.

Calipers attach to the brackets in a different manner, so no.  The 2010-2012 calipers are attached to the bracket by an 8mm through-bolt to the slide pin.  The 2013+ has 14mm threads on the slide pin that go into the caliper and subsequently the bracket, no extra bolt.

Taking the plunge, and bought the new brackets, rotors, pads, and splash guards. Was hoping the calipers would be the same, but glad I came back here. Still just going to collect parts for the time being, and when I'm closer to doing the swap (i.e. it's not 15 degrees outside) I'll buy the calipers and attempt the core return...We'll see how that goes.
2011 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost
-2013+ PP SHO front brake conversion

Primalzer

Most of my parts for big brakes are incoming (waiting on the calipers until I'm closer to the actual swap so I'm not rushed with the core.) Made this quick spreadsheet to track prices...I will say that Tasca parts, where many get parts, has a great selection, but their shipping prices are pretty outrageous, and why most of my purchases are RockAuto. These are all Motorcraft parts. Probably should have listed shipping prices. But this give you at least an idea of pre-shipping/tax price for all the parts needed. Let me know if I left something off.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 07, 2016, 01:13:02 AM
Quote from: ajpturbo on February 07, 2016, 01:09:31 AM
Quote from: timbo on February 07, 2016, 12:27:51 AM
I really have no clue why Ford hasn't done a Brembo setup for this car.  It makes way too much sense.

Have to draw the line somewhere....need to stay south of 50 grand....its a small niche market...i would say the members of this forum dont represent the norm owner of this car...i see alot of old fuddy duds in these sho's that couldnt care less if there were brembos on it
I disagree, the guys driving SHO's are the same guys that would be driving ST's if they were 20 years younger.

Old fuddy duds buy Lincolns, not SHOs
Hmmm, self burn...

AJP turbo

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 20, 2017, 08:47:18 PM
I really have no clue why Ford hasn't done a Brembo setup for this car.  It makes way too much sense.

Have to draw the line somewhere....need to stay south of 50 grand....its a small niche market...i would say the members of this forum dont represent the norm owner of this car...i see alot of old fuddy duds in these sho's that couldnt care less if there were brembos on it
I disagree, the guys driving SHO's are the same guys that would be driving ST's if they were 20 years younger.

Hmmm, self burn...

Wow, guess I can call them. LOL
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on April 20, 2017, 10:32:55 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 20, 2017, 08:47:18 PM

Hmmm, self burn...

Wow, guess I can call them. LOL
Whats worse is I think I like he wood trimmed interior better than the Ecoboost package trim, lol...

SHOdded

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 20, 2017, 10:47:01 PM
Whats worse is I think I like he wood trimmed interior better than the Ecoboost package trim, lol...
Welcome to the Dark Side.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Macgyver

Quote from: AJP turbo on November 17, 2016, 03:45:48 PM
I have brand new EBC red stuff pads and a pair of 3GD sport rotors for 13+ sho for 300$ parts go for about 450$ someone needs them

Is after market cheaper or better than just buying and installing the PP brakes on a Non PP SHO ?

Primalzer

Quote from: Primalzer on February 07, 2017, 11:47:18 AM

Most of my parts for big brakes are incoming (waiting on the calipers until I'm closer to the actual swap so I'm not rushed with the core.) Made this quick spreadsheet to track prices...I will say that Tasca parts, where many get parts, has a great selection, but their shipping prices are pretty outrageous, and why most of my purchases are RockAuto. These are all Motorcraft parts. Probably should have listed shipping prices. But this give you at least an idea of pre-shipping/tax price for all the parts needed. Let me know if I left something off.

So a little update...Did the install the weekend before this last one. I've always had a spongey pedal, but had always attributed it to the front pads being low (or so I was told) and the small front calipers.

Most of the parts went on without issue. The only part that I didn't get on was the splash shield listed above. Unless I was going to create a new hole, it wasn't fitting on the existing hub. One other little issue was that my rotors didn't come with the vent holes between the rotor hat and rotor surface, like the other models get. Maybe I got the wrong model number? Or Maybe Ford stopped putting the holes on. I don't think it should hamper performance or anything, just an observation. Got my hands on a Motive power bleeder and tried that route. After the first bleed through (actually a full fluid swap), went and took a test drive. The pedal was as spongey as ever (maybe worse?) and panic stops were a slow stop, definitely not a hurried affair. Went back, and bled it 2 more times. 2nd time getting a couple little bubbles, but nothing crazy. Clean and clear fluid. The 2nd time, just for good measure, clean and clear fluid with absolutely no bubbles. Huh.

That Monday took the car to the Ford dealer (the vehicle is under an extended warranty). Told them of my issues and they got to work. They ended up replacing the right rear rotor (the left rear had been replaced under warranty, a few weeks before.) They re-bled the system, but it was still spongey and brakes weren't stopping the vehicle as they should. They took off the master cylinder bench tested and bled, and re-installed (it had apparently passed the pressure tests.) They told me to come and test drive it, to see if it felt right. It did not. No difference. They dug back in, and finally tested the hydraulic control unit/ABS module, and that tested out bad. Replaced under warranty. Friday afternoon, picked up my car, and had working brakes! Better than they had ever been. Still not as good as the 2016 EcoBoost Flex loaner I was given, but at least I could get the ABS going on wet pavement (never was able to do that before.) So after all was said and done, I have the upgraded front rotors, calipers, and pads from 13+ SHO/Police, new rear rotors, and a new ABS module. Not bad for about $400 all in.

SHOdded

Ok so add ABS module to list of possibilities in brake issues, along with MC/BB.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Primalzer

Quote from: SHOdded on May 22, 2017, 06:32:52 PM
Ok so add ABS module to list of possibilities in brake issues, along with MC/BB.

After doing a ton of research, there were a couple of people that swear the MC is not the weak link in the chain, and it's really the ABS Module. Obviously it's a case by case basis, but it's definitely something to look out for

Agent502

What is the part number for the ABS module? 

Timbo, Primalzer, and Shodded has anyone put together a complete list of parts and part numbers yet?

From MC to brake lines.  @primalzer you're my hero with that spread sheet!

Need to get this complete upgrade done asap!

Anyone have any suggestions on Shocks and Struts for a 2012?  I do not want to lower it with H&R springs, as I do drive in snow and the roads are bad.

But wouldn't mind it dropping a little, but can't bring myself to do the coilovers, as it's $800 for a "nice" to have...

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

The only "drop" I have seen without springs/coilovers is cutting the rear springs a bit.  Unfortunately no aftermarket shock options, now as to PP vs non-PP shocks, IDK.  If the roads are bad enough, coilovers are not a good way to go even with the adjustable height feature.

Cutting the rear springs
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5204

Agent502

What shocks/struts do you guys run or recommend then?  I saw a shock and spring combo all in one online, but to be honest, I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to this stuff, so I really appreciate you all giving feedback on this stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk