• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

*HOW-TO* 2013+ Brakes on a 2010-2012...THEY WORK!!

Started by timbo, December 27, 2015, 10:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbo

I really have no clue why Ford hasn't done a Brembo setup for this car.  It makes way too much sense.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

AJP turbo

Quote from: timbo on February 07, 2016, 12:27:51 AM
I really have no clue why Ford hasn't done a Brembo setup for this car.  It makes way too much sense.

Have to draw the line somewhere....need to stay south of 50 grand....its a small niche market...i would say the members of this forum dont represent the norm owner of this car...i see alot of old fuddy duds in these sho's that couldnt care less if there were brembos on it
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on February 07, 2016, 01:09:31 AM
Quote from: timbo on February 07, 2016, 12:27:51 AM

Have to draw the line somewhere....need to stay south of 50 grand....its a small niche market...i would say the members of this forum dont represent the norm owner of this car...i see alot of old fuddy duds in these sho's that couldnt care less if there were brembos on it
I disagree, the guys driving SHO's are the same guys that would be driving ST's if they were 20 years younger.

Old fuddy duds buy Lincolns, not SHOs

SHOdded

Hey now!  Lincoln's for young whippersnappers too!  As far as Ford not providing the upmarket brakes, they obviously didn't think that the economics are there for them to get into that area.  They want to do what they do best, and RFP out the rest.  Works for me!  I mean if we as consumers are just given all the solutions, where would we, as enthusiasts, get to showcase our ideas & skills with DIY? :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Blackhawk

This sounds like a no brainer if you have to replace a caliper on a 2010-2012 then, might as well upgrade both sides  How do you think it would work without the master cylinder upgrade?

timbo

Quote from: Blackhawk on February 08, 2016, 05:07:08 PM
This sounds like a no brainer if you have to replace a caliper on a 2010-2012 then, might as well upgrade both sides  How do you think it would work without the master cylinder upgrade?
Caliper piston areas are the same between the 2 setups, so the feel would be identical.  Should work fine, but I recommend forking over for the upgraded master cylinder/booster.

2010-2012 Master cylinder bore is 1-1/16" (1.062)
2013+ has differential bore at 1.537 Front and 1.125 rear.  That is how it has so much better feel and how it's much more responsive.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

Zorin

So, If I have a 2011 PP, would this upgrade be useless?

Thanks,
Z
2011PP, Kona Blue, 255/45/20 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, 3 Bar, 170 stat, LMS 93+Race Tune with ACES IV, Quantum Blue Fluids.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Zorin on March 11, 2016, 07:39:36 AM

Thanks,
Z
No, this upgrade is full of win PP or not.

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 11, 2016, 08:03:48 PM

Thanks,
Z
One might also consider changing the rotor for a '13+ style. That would give you the whole package... Which amounts to 60% more swept area at a larger radius which should increase braking. That might need the master cylinder swap.
The OEM brakes on my '13 are adequate and do have some bite, but a high speed quick stop is still nerve wracking in a 4400lb car from 80+ mph... I will be upgrading as soon as it's time for pads.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 11, 2016, 08:31:38 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on March 11, 2016, 08:03:48 PM

Thanks,
Z
One might also consider changing the rotor for a '13+ style. That would give you the whole package... Which amounts to 60% more swept area at a larger radius which should increase braking. That might need the master cylinder swap.
The OEM brakes on my '13 are adequate and do have some bite, but a high speed quick stop is still nerve wracking in a 4400lb car from 80+ mph... I will be upgrading as soon as it's time for pads.
Sorry BigMac, I thought he was referring to the whole package.

I'm not sure adequate is a fair adjective for gen 4.2. 60-0 is 106 ft.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2013-ford-taurus-sho-performance-package-first-test/

Now to put this in perspective...

http://www.motortrend.com/news/22-cars-that-stop-from-mph-in-less-than-100-feet/

And this...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/02/2012-annual-auto-issue-best-cars-for-braking/index.htm

And this...

http://www.motortrend.com/news/20-best-60-to-0-distances-recorded/

Personally I think the brakes perform pretty darn well. 5 ft more than a 2013 GT500? I'm good with that. Beyond a possible pad swap and some stickier tires to enhance performance its very hard for me to justify the outlay for a BBK setup. I'm skeptical about non OEM rotors as well. I don't want another expensive lesson where the Ford engineers made the best tool for the job (CAI)

I think the 4.1-4.2 full upgrade represents an awesome value for the level of performance you end up with. Going past that the law of diminishing returns may rear its ugly head. I'd love to see some instrumented testing of the uber expensive Wilwood setup.

AJP turbo

Ive laid into my pp brakes so many times during data logging at deep into triple digit speeds....i aint skeered of the stock brakes

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Brake fluid system flush anyone,might help especially living in warmer humid climates.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHO-Pa

So as I understand this, the setup works but you lose the dust shields? Is that correct?

Does anyone know if that's a PA state inspection item? It would be bad to do the upgrade only to be flagged for that inconsequential part.
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

tgambob

By my previous failed vehicles yes it is. That's what is holding me up on doing this. But idk if there is an exception maybe since the pps don't have them from the factory.
2010 non pp. Air raid, sct itsx, unleashed 93 boost, 3 bar, ngk

AJP turbo

I think the PP has dust shields....and i dont think you can fail for not having them....how would the tech know if it had them or not anyway from the factory...i highly doubt its a requirement...in fact i would laugh in the guys face and say i guess you dont get my money lol

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress