• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Modded factory air box

Started by Expygator, December 05, 2015, 09:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucelinc

The factory snorkle picks up cooler air from the grill area and feeds it into the airbox.  Maybe I have lost my zen but I don't see how removing the snorkle could do anything beneficial.  I am surprised that it even changed the sound.

Justme2011

For me I like the concept in an attempt to catch more air as it seems the snorkel is too small especially when compared to that of the F150.

Jason

polskifacet

Quote from: Justme2011 on January 04, 2016, 02:32:19 PM
For me I like the concept in an attempt to catch more air as it seems the snorkel is too small especially when compared to that of the F150.

Jason

Removing the snorkel does give you almost twice the area of the opening of what you have with the snorkel installed. Unfortunately seems like it gets negated since its getting a lot of its air from behind the radiator which is hot. Further modification might make it better than stock but then you have to chop up your stock air box.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Scott4957

Correct me if I am wrong. I don't think there has been any evidence that the stock box can't flow enough cool air to a bolted and tuned car. From what I have gathered, aftermarket intakes have not shown any significant improvement over the stock box with a K&N or a dry flow filter installed. Not saying there is not room for improvement, but if the engine in its current configuration "whatever that is with your parts" can't pull more air and that is not due to a restriction in the intake then what is the point? Cooler air is another story of course, but taking the snorkel off its not going in the right direction.

2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

polskifacet

Quote from: Scott4957 on January 04, 2016, 02:55:08 PM
Correct me if I am wrong. I don't think there has been any evidence that the stock box can't flow enough cool air to a bolted and tuned car. From what I have gathered, aftermarket intakes have not shown any significant improvement over the stock box with a K&N or a dry flow filter installed. Not saying there is not room for improvement, but if the engine in its current configuration "whatever that is with your parts" can't pull more air and that is not due to a restriction in the intake then what is the point? Cooler air is another story of course, but taking the snorkel off its not going in the right direction.
Right now the snorkel opening area is actually larger than that of the 3 inch intake pipe that connects to the top of the air box so I have to agree that there isn't much point. I think I saw bpd making some type of custom piping which has individual pipes coming from the turbos vs the Y that is there now.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

AJP turbo

Have you guys ever heard of grasping at straws? Good lord
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Scott4957

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 04, 2016, 03:31:07 PM

No, i don't think a straw would work, that is smaller than the snorkel. Anyone else have any ideas?

AJP turbo

Quote from: Scott4957 on January 04, 2016, 03:32:37 PM

No, i don't think a straw would work, that is smaller than the snorkel. Anyone else have any ideas?

I have an idea....add a pound of boost and get real power....something you can feel

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Scott4957

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 04, 2016, 03:43:53 PM
Quote from: Scott4957 on January 04, 2016, 03:32:37 PM

I have an idea....add a pound of boost and get real power....something you can feel

No its gotta show up on the dyno, the "feel" of the butt dyno just doesn't cut it when we are talking about 100th's of a second off the quarter mile.

ZSHO

The agree with Polskifacet because the real restriction lies by the saxophone plumbing limiting the potential amount of air flow that can be had because of the smaller tubing,there is nothing wrong with the oem intake,its one of the best design's in its class.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Scott4957

Quote from: polskifacet on January 04, 2016, 03:13:23 PM
Quote from: Scott4957 on January 04, 2016, 02:55:08 PM
Right now the snorkel opening area is actually larger than that of the 3 inch intake pipe that connects to the top of the air box so I have to agree that there isn't much point. I think I saw bpd making some type of custom piping which has individual pipes coming from the turbos vs the Y that is there now.

That I would like to see. On the Mazda DISI there was much gain to be had with the intake system even on the stock turbo. They were even making more power with a 3 inch intake when the TIP was only 2.5ish. There was plenty of data to back this up but I haven't seen that for our cars. To be honest I like to see...nothing. It just means the intake system was properly built and we can spend our hard earned cash on something that will develop power. I think an easy way to test this would be to run pipes from the turbos with as few bends as possible out to cone style filters and put it on a dyno. No sense in sciencing out a new intake design if you can't make more power that way. Have any of the tuners weighed in on this in the past? I know many have taken the box off and not flowed more air, how about the saxophone tube?

AJP turbo

Wrong wrong wrong...

The restriction lies in both turbo wheels...doesnt matter if you have a 10" intake tube....not going to move anymore air with those little wheels period...you guys want more power...get some real turbos

You guys that have changed down pipes have seen the turbine wheel...its barely over 1.5"....that is the restriction...believe it or dont

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 04, 2016, 05:38:29 PM
The restriction lies in both turbo wheels...doesnt matter if you have a 10" intake tube....not going to move anymore air with those little wheels period...you guys want more power...get some real turbos

You guys that have changed down pipes have seen the turbine wheel...its barely over 1.5"....that is the restriction...believe it or dont
Agreed, and that's why the turbine upgrade and turbo upgrade products exist.  They do make for a major upgrade to the stock system compared to a CAI.  It's just that CAI is sooooo much more DIY-able for everyone!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Scott4957

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 04, 2016, 05:38:29 PM
Wrong wrong wrong...

Everyone is aware larger turbos or upgraded turbine wheels make more power, no one in this thread is talking about anything but stock turbos and if the air box or an intake can flow more air modified or otherwise. I'm not saying your wrong, in fact I am inclined to agree which is why I have not spent any money on an intake. But no one has come with a definitive answer because none of the intakes that I have found are from the TIP forward on both turbos. On a side note what does it take to have the upgraded turbine wheels installed?

Justme2011

If a way is found for the intake to take in more air aren't we really talking about faster spool up times?  That's not really more power just better throttle response which helps the ol' arse dyno.

On the question on upgraded wheels, I didn't have a good experience doing this in a different car but that was a different car and different tuner I'm sure.

Jason