• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Modded factory air box

Started by Expygator, December 05, 2015, 09:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Expygator

I removed my snorkel from the front of the box.   I had  GTP prior to this car and I modded that box with excellent results. I would like to create another opening in the box and run a tube/ piping down underneath to the front, or into the fender well.

Who has done this?

What did you do?

What were the results?

Would you do it again?

Thanks.
2010 non-PP. K&N drop in.

AJP turbo

I thought the stock opening went straight to the grill, grabbing ambient temp air and even forcing it in a bit at speed?...can that be improved on?..just asking...is wheel well or fender air better than the air in front of the car?

How did you measure the "excellent" results of the mod to the gtp...

Want more power for the sho?...grab a tune
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

glock-coma

I've done it with a 3" hose/tube. Went down to the lower front grille.
I don't have pics. But I'll take some tomorrow.
I did not remove the factory snorkel.
IAT go to atmospheric temps faster and it recovers from heat soak quickly.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Expygator

The hole in the SHO box is considerably larger than that of the inlet on the snorkel. As for the G T P, I swapped between a modded stock airbox and a fender well intake. My IAT dropped when I installed the port on the side of the airbox and ran it into the fender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brucelinc

I added another intake to the stock airbox on my MKS and also left the original.  Due to the adaptive headlights, I think there is a little less room on the MKS than on a SHO.  I ran the tubing through a tight opening in the inner fender and down to the area beside the lower grill.  I cut an oval hole in the plastic insert as can be seen in the photo. 

[/URL]][/img]

[/URL]][/img]

Expygator

Thanks for the pics. What did you use for tubing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brucelinc

I first attempted to use 3 inch tubing that I got from Autozone.  However, due to the contortions of getting it through the fender well, it basically crushed down to a little over 2 inches.  Rather than that, I settled on some 2.5 inch vaccuum cleaner hose.  It is very tough and flexible.  The inlet into the airbox is 3 inch PVC drain pipe that is glued into the airbox.  You can see the rubber reducer that I used to attach the vac hose to the PVC.  Again, I think the MKS is a bit tighter in this area due to the headlights that swivel when turning.  With the SHO, you might be able to use 3" all the way.

I tested this with a house fan positioned in front of the car and can definitely feel air flowing into the airbox.  Also, I am getting a lot more bugs into the filter than before.  Having said that, I cannot claim that it helps performance at all.

AJP turbo

^   But its cool and thats all that matters

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Gray Brick

I did something similar on my Flex.
Better sound and keeps the IAT down closer to ambient.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

polskifacet

I took off the snorkel last night and it definitely sounds healthier. With the snorkel I hear a definite suction sound with LMS tine. Without the snorkel, I don't hear that anymore. At speed its probably fine, in traffic im sure its worse.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Dxlnt1

Forgive me if I missed something here. But sounds like you are sucking in un-filtered air. As I recall from stock air box, air flows from top of box , then downward to turbo inlet. So unless you are installing another filter inline I would NOT perform this mod. Again, maybe I missed something somewhere. If so, I rescind my comments. If not, well........
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

slurppie

Ariflow is reverse, bottom up through the filter.

sent from my speak n' spell using tin cans and string

2013 w/PP
Synthetic blinker fluid
Ceramic muffler bearings

polskifacet

after a bunch of driving, I can't seem to tell a butt dyno difference. Charge air temp is higher so in the summer it probably won't be good. Put it back to stock.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

AJP turbo

Quote from: polskifacet on January 04, 2016, 11:04:59 AM
after a bunch of driving, I can't seem to tell a butt dyno difference.

Im not sure why yo think you would be able to feel a difference.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

polskifacet

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 04, 2016, 11:24:16 AM
Quote from: polskifacet on January 04, 2016, 11:04:59 AM
after a bunch of driving, I can't seem to tell a butt dyno difference.

Im not sure why yo think you would be able to feel a difference.

There is a type of Zen some of us feel with mods that maybe don't add power but add to the feeling of the car, no change in Zen with removing the snorkel (IMO).