• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

E-85 ?

Started by joe raptor, December 10, 2015, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe raptor

Hey brothers I have a 2014 SHO and I would like to know if is alright to, mix 3 gallons of e-85 when I fill up the tank ? . Pros & Cons please !!. Thanks and Merry Christmas to u all and ur families !! :-).

SHOdded

Use this site to calculate resultant Exx values.  Going over a final value of E20 is not recommended, especially without an appropriate tune to go with.  The higher E you go than that, the more fuel system upgrades will be necessary.
http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Can you do it, sure...is it ideal without doing the supporting mods, no...tune adjustments should be made....fuel system will work harder...fuel economy will go down...lower cost of e85 is negated by reduced fuel economy due to the fact that it takes more fuel to to achieved desired lambda.

There really is a good reason they put E0-E15 on the fuel filler hole

The car can run really well with a 3 bar tune on pump E10 fuel

U could run a 3 bar tune, advance the spark a little. Make a little more power but then get reduced mpg and always have to bother with mixing the fuel...if its not consistently done then fuel and spark adaptives will be all over the place...and all that for my guess is 10-20 whp
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

3 gallons is what I what I use in the winter.

My supply is very consistent so my trims are solid. This has been the trend nationwide, a study over 133 stations nationwide only had a couple of issues but that was with vapor pressure which is not an issue when 80% of your mix is straight gas.

I will take my extra 20 hp, thank you very much. 😈 imho it adds a layer of safety as well

That being said, spend some time in this section reading before you decide. E-85's properties are enhanced when directly injected opposed to port.

Torrie of Unleashed will be more than happy to accommodate your blend in a tune.

Good luck!

f8tlSHO

I ran a couple of tanks this way, seemed to run nice and smooth. Haven't put it in lately because of the cold weather

Sent from my iPhone
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

AJP turbo

Quote from: f8tlSHO on January 11, 2016, 08:32:15 PM
I ran a couple of tanks this way, seemed to run nice and smooth. Haven't put it in lately because of the cold weather

Sent from my iPhone

Seemed being the key word....you are trying to feel things in terms of symptoms wont manifest themselves physically but rather electronically through datalogs.....so what im saying is just because you dont feel anything out of the ordinary does that mean that there is not a tuning defficiency?...nope...the tune is less than optimum with fuel blending..if your argument is the 02's can handle it and compensate, yes they can...is that the purpose for them, nope

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

f8tlSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 11, 2016, 09:18:26 PM

Sent from my iPhone

Seemed being the key word....you are trying to feel things in terms of symptoms wont manifest themselves physically but rather electronically through datalogs.....so what im saying is just because you dont feel anything out of the ordinary does that mean that there is not a tuning defficiency?...nope...the tune is less than optimum with fuel blending..if your argument is the 02's can handle it and compensate, yes they can...is that the purpose for them, nope
Well ok, I ran an e18 mix the last time at the track with less boost than previous track outings. "Seemed to be a 12.9" with e18 and 2lbs less boost on a 70 degree day. Compared to a 13.0 with more boost and same weather conditions. So I am gonna go ahead and say it made a difference.

Sent from my iPhone
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.

AJP turbo

Quote from: f8tlSHO on January 11, 2016, 09:27:15 PM

Sent from my iPhone

Well ok, I ran an e18 mix the last time at the track with less boost than previous track outings. "Seemed to be a 12.9" with e18 and 2lbs less boost on a 70 degree day. Compared to a 13.0 with more boost and same weather conditions. So I am gonna go ahead and say it made a difference.

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry but thats sounds like a terrible experiment...doesnt seem like the variables were controlled or monitored very well at all...you will disagree and thats fine...but you dont tune or disect datalogs so the argument is useless...the fuel has no bearing on how much boost the car will decide to run...blend away lol and you can fabricate and speculate all day on why things are or are not happening...or you can look at real datalogs and sensor values and tune files to better understand effects for the various changes you made to essential variables such as fuel

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

f8tlSHO

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 11, 2016, 09:47:06 PM
Quote from: f8tlSHO on January 11, 2016, 09:27:15 PM

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry but thats sounds like a terrible experiment...doesnt seem like the variables were controlled or monitored very well at all...you will disagree and thats fine...but you dont tune or disect datalogs so the argument is useless...the fuel has no bearing on how much boost the car will decide to run...blend away lol and you can fabricate and speculate all day on why things are or are not happening...or you can look at real datalogs and sensor values and tune files to better understand effects for the various changes you made to essential variables such as fuel
Lol... The tune was different.. Boost levels don't fluctuate with different levels of e... That's not what I said. You like to turn everything into an argument. Torrie changed the tune because it was supposed to be 35-40 degrees... Freak 70 degree day in November. I'm not an idiot, your trying really hard to make it sound that way though. You are amazing... Is that what you want to hear?? Get off your soapbox dude

Sent from my iPhone

SHOdded

2013+ can handle up to E15 (officially), says so on the fuel door sticker, IIRC.  So E18 is easily within reach, and more so when properly tuned for it.  All is well :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!