• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 SHO livernois 3 bar tune/tstat/downpipes

Started by Kyle04, November 10, 2015, 08:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle04

Went and got the SHO dyno'ed tonight.

After talking with the guy, found out they have only had one other SHO in their so he was showing me his numbers vs mine. He wasn't sure who tunehe came in with but he had a tune and downpipes and nothing else, when he came in he was high 350's low 360's. After some adjusting with it a little and he left with just shy of consistently 400awhp. My mid range was a a decent bit higher but i think that was on the tune that he came in with.

One thing i was curious about is that he was asking me if their was anyway to keep it in 3rd when doing the pull from 1500 rpms. We tried S and D using the paddles but everytime you WOT it downshifts unless you're above 3500rpm, he asked because the owner of the previous SHO said he messed around with something in the shift patterns and his dyno run started at 1500 in 3rd gear and never downshifted.

I also asked why there were loops where its dropping torq/hp with those 10rpm increments. He said he could feel those surges while doing the pull and that he sees that even worse on the VW's.

Their was also a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust after each run when he lets off the throttle, im guessing its running rich but im not sure if thats normal or not. All in all its still not to bad.
2014 Ford Taurus SHO non PP - LMS 3 Bar Tune, 160 Thermostat, LMS Catted Downpipes.

SHOdded

How big was the "puff" the dragon was belching?  DI engines do tend to deposit soot on the exhaust tips as you know.  If you aren't in the habit of driving it hard occasionally, could be the dyno was blowing out the "cobwebs".

Anyway, pull codes, see if there's anything set, including for misfires.  Check spark plugs and COP boots, if they are fine, might be an injector or two involved.  Preliminary thoughts :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Where are you from kyle?
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

CroR1

Was the tuner able to adjust your tune? Or you just did a dyno  pull?

Kyle04

Quote from: SHOdded on November 11, 2015, 12:16:49 AM
How big was the "puff" the dragon was belching?  DI engines do tend to deposit soot on the exhaust tips as you know.  If you aren't in the habit of driving it hard occasionally, could be the dyno was blowing out the "cobwebs".

Anyway, pull codes, see if there's anything set, including for misfires.  Check spark plugs and COP boots, if they are fine, might be an injector or two involved.  Preliminary thoughts :)

I think it's a decent size but i dont have anything to really compare it to. It definitely gets driven hard on occasion, i had it at the strip just this past saturday so i dont think it would be that.

I'll have to check codes later on. I did check the gap on the front three right when i tuned it and they were all dead on .30 but i didnt get to check the back three till a few weeks ago when i was at a friends house and decided to pull those, i checked gap with his tool and the back three were all around .34-.36 so i regapped them, im curious if maybe his tool was off and not the back three plugs. If his tool was off and i ended up putting to tight of a gap on the plugs would it cause the smoke? Either way i have 6 new plugs coming in today so that should take care of that if it is the issue. What are COP boots?

Here is a video i got of it last night.

! No longer available
2014 Ford Taurus SHO non PP - LMS 3 Bar Tune, 160 Thermostat, LMS Catted Downpipes.

Kyle04

Quote from: ajpturbo on November 11, 2015, 01:58:42 AM
Where are you from kyle?

Just south of Pittsburgh, PA

Quote from: CroR1 on November 11, 2015, 08:57:48 AM
Was the tuner able to adjust your tune? Or you just did a dyno  pull?

He was not as he said he is not familier with tuner the ecoboost platform. The guy that came in with the SHO had his own software(i'm guessing SCT or somthing possibly) and that he was just helping him read the dyno and making suggestions for him to change. Seemed to turn out good by gained about 40awhp, at what type of reliability cost though is the question.

SHOdded

COP = Coil on Plug.  What used to be just plain old spark plug wires now have coils embedded in them.  Since you didn't mention it, I assume the boots were oilfree?  Was there any buildup on the electrodes (sooty/blackish)?  If his gapping tool was off, it's possible the gaps are too narrow, causing a rich condition.  But that does look like TOO much smoke for just a spark plug issue.  It's like riding behind an old diesel-powered car!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Kyle04

Quote from: SHOdded on November 11, 2015, 09:08:36 AM
COP = Coil on Plug.  What used to be just plain old spark plug wires now have coils embedded in them.  Since you didn't mention it, I assume the boots were oilfree?  Was there any buildup on the electrodes (sooty/blackish)?  If his gapping tool was off, it's possible the gaps are too narrow, causing a rich condition.  But that does look like TOO much smoke for just a spark plug issue.  It's like riding behind an old diesel-powered car!

I didnt look to closely at the boots but if there was a good bit of oil i would have noticed but ill be able to check for sure this evening. I should have mentioned i did put downpipes on a few weeks ago, if that makes any difference.

Was a 3rd gear pull correct for this car and also i have seen it mentioned elsewhere that starting higher in the RPM range shows a lower TQ number, is that correct as well?

Vortech347

STD correction with smoothing at 0?

I'd call the dyno shop and have them e-mail you a graph you can actually reference with other dynos.  SAE correction and smoothing at 4-5.  Should help get rid of the "heart beat"  monitor effect.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

Kyle04

Quote from: Vortech347 on November 11, 2015, 10:36:32 AM
STD correction with smoothing at 0?

I'd call the dyno shop and have them e-mail you a graph you can actually reference with other dynos.  SAE correction and smoothing at 4-5.  Should help get rid of the "heart beat"  monitor effect.

He did show me the smooth at max 5 and it didnt have the loops anymore but it still had spikes similar to a a heart rate monitor. Unfortunately i didnt get a print out of that one.

ZSHO

It sounds like you have non-catted DP on your SHO ,how many miles on her??. Check to see if there are any codes set.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Haha ....kyle did you go to PRL motorsports in export?!...lol i am the guy you are talking about!

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Kyle04

Quote from: ZSHO on November 11, 2015, 10:41:41 AM
It sounds like you have non-catted DP on your SHO ,how many miles on her??. Check to see if there are any codes set.  Z

It's a livernois catted DP

Kyle04

Quote from: ajpturbo on November 11, 2015, 10:52:25 AM
Haha ....kyle did you go to PRL motorsports in export?!...lol i am the guy you are talking about!

Well it's a small world isnt it.

AJP turbo

So thats a yes?...i rented the dyno. I was going to post some stuff but havent really had time..thats awsome that that u went there becuase i was curious of a couple of my runs...but your pulls look clean and consistent

Ive known denis at prl he's a good dude

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress