• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 Taurus SHO Transmission Cooler with ACC

Started by polskifacet, October 15, 2015, 03:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

Just an fyi, the transmission cooler (not aux) is actually part of the ac condenser radiator. It is the top ~4 inches so it has nothing to do with coolant. That makes me fairly confident that there is no noticable difference between having the straight portion of the Tee going to stock radiator vs aux or vice versa.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on May 30, 2017, 11:47:55 PM
Just an fyi, the transmission cooler (not aux) is actually part of the ac condenser radiator. It is the top ~4 inches so it has nothing to do with coolant. That makes me fairly confident that there is no noticable difference between having the straight portion of the Tee going to stock radiator vs aux or vice versa.
This is true of the 10-12 SHO's. If i'm not mistaken the 13+ cars do route the transmission fluid through the actual radiator rather than AC condenser. Just wanted to clarify.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

polskifacet

I have a 13 SHO so I do think you may be mistaken.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on May 31, 2017, 10:50:16 AM
I have a 13 SHO so I do think you may be mistaken.
whoops glanced right past that. i know radiator part #s are different between gen 4.1/4.2 because of an additional cooling system that runs through them. possibly PTU or oil cooler though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

polskifacet

Would also like to add that since I'm driving with the bumper off, i was able to verify which cooler was doing most of the work. Even though my aux cooler is on the branch of the tee, it was very hot to the touch, the cooler that is part of the AC condenser was basically cold.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on May 31, 2017, 01:38:57 PM
Would also like to add that since I'm driving with the bumper off, i was able to verify which cooler was doing most of the work. Even though my aux cooler is on the branch of the tee, it was very hot to the touch, the cooler that is part of the AC condenser was basically cold.
FWIW i first changed the by-pass thermostat and months later added the aux cooler and have noticed virtually no  temp drops since. seems to keep it from heating up as fast as it did before The cooler but still reaches the same peak temps.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

I am glad you tried the bypass TStat and it worked out for you!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on May 31, 2017, 03:27:26 PM
it helped. however i was hoping adding the aux cooler would keep the trans temps below 200* most days of the year and it's close but usually runs in the upper 190s and it's not that hot here yet. ideally i'd like to stick around 180ish. going to replace fluid with amsoil at some point and go from there.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Are you running Motorcraft in there right now?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on May 31, 2017, 09:07:50 PM
Are you running Motorcraft in there right now?
Yes. 32k Oem fluid as of now so it's due for a change soon.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

polskifacet

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on May 31, 2017, 07:04:39 PM
it helped. however i was hoping adding the aux cooler would keep the trans temps below 200* most days of the year and it's close but usually runs in the upper 190s and it's not that hot here yet. ideally i'd like to stick around 180ish. going to replace fluid with amsoil at some point and go from there.
Based on my looking at trans temps, I can never get past 150 on the 30 minute drive to work. Highway heats it up more than city driving from what I have seen. 200 is pretty much the higher end of normal operating temp.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: polskifacet on May 31, 2017, 11:47:02 PM
Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on May 31, 2017, 07:04:39 PM
Based on my looking at trans temps, I can never get past 150 on the 30 minute drive to work. Highway heats it up more than city driving from what I have seen. 200 is pretty much the higher end of normal operating temp.
yeah i'm not sure why my results are seemingly different from what others with the aux cooler report. by no means does having 200* trans temps make me nervous or anything(before the t stat i saw 215-220) but 180ish is my preference.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Could it be an issue with the altitude you are at?  Air density does drop 10% when "mile high".  Maybe Yuma County (though still way above sea level) would be a different story?

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on June 01, 2017, 03:03:36 PM
Could it be an issue with the altitude you are at?  Air density does drop 10% when "mile high".  Maybe Yuma County (though still way above sea level) would be a different story?
That crossed my mind briefly but not sure how one would logically conclude that lower air density/altitude would cause fluid temps to rise(Then again i'm no physicist). I'm sure there could be some science to it but i've never experienced that in any previous platforms at the same altitude and if there were some correlation i would think it would be somewhat of a known fact in the automotive performance community up here.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

AJP turbo

Sho bro your altitude always makes me think about stuff...I remember seeing water boil at room temperature in a vacuum....higher pressure increases boiling point right?...so does your car in lower barometric pressure make it easier for temps to  rise?

And i have your log i just dont want to hastily throw a revision at you...i have to think about things more with altitude...i also found out the barometric pressure sensor is part of the ecu..pretty cool
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress