• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 Taurus SHO Transmission Cooler with ACC

Started by polskifacet, October 15, 2015, 03:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

Getting ready to do this! Ill try to do another write up and hopefully a YouTube Vid on the install.

Parts List:
Dealer -
DG1Z-7R081-A - $129.63 (cooler)
DG1Z-7A095-D - $54.23 (bypass valve)
M6 x 18MM x2 - $4.78 ea. (not sure about the specific part number)

Mcmaster -
5670K15 x1 - $3.22 ea. (stainless l)
5670K68 x2 - $12.88 ea. (stainless T)
52545K73 - $11.48 (Gapless Hose Clamp)
52545K28 - $11.82 (Gapless Hose Clamp)

Bristol Fitting -
6 ft of transmission hose ~ $12 a foot (The good stuff)

Parts-Express
Techflex 1/2" Expandable Sleeving 25 ft. Neon Blue - $12.30

Very interesting approach on this piece, instead of changing the whole unit I just swapped thermostats. Probably saved an hour of work! The picture is the stock one which has a number 2 stamped on it. The one from the performance package has a 1, I assume this is how the temperature is signified.

AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

Hey Guys. Got the cooler in. I'll do a write up during the week. My only question is about the flow of the fluid as I have it in parallel with the in radiator cooler. The aux cooler is off the perpendicular leg of the T vs how the performance package has it where the cooler in the radiator is connected on the perpendicular leg of the T. Is there a huge difference in how it flows? I'm thinking it's fine. Fluid has to go up to flow through the stock cooler so it should be easier to go through the new aux cooler.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

polskifacet

Quote from: polskifacet on November 01, 2015, 07:22:28 PM
Hey Guys. Got the cooler in. I'll do a write up during the week. My only question is about the flow of the fluid as I have it in parallel with the in radiator cooler. The aux cooler is off the perpendicular leg of the T vs how the performance package has it where the cooler in the radiator is connected on the perpendicular leg of the T. Is there a huge difference in how it flows? I'm thinking it's fine. Fluid has to go up to flow through the stock cooler so it should be easier to go through the new aux cooler.
Anyone?

SHOdded

PM crash712us, he may have some insight into this question ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

The 160 degree thermostat with the aux trans cooler really drops the trans temps. During normal driving in light traffic, the temps hover around 150 -160 which is 30 - 40 cooler than before the install. It is a bit cool now in Chicago so I'll will have to wait about 5 months to test it out in the summer heat.

SHOdded

Sweet!  Based on reports from previous installs, I am sure you will be very happy with this upgrade during summertime/heavy traffic as well :thumb:

66 Galaxie

Nice work, looking into doing this on my Flex as well as the oil cooler.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

Gray Brick

Is there a thermostat on the version that just runs through the stock radiator?

If so, can it be changed?
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

66 Galaxie

I believe stock also has a thermostat as referenced above but have no idea of the temps that are set for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

SHOdded

Yeah, I have not seen specs listed for the transmission TStat anywhere.  Will keep looking.

Gray Brick

My transmission stays around 200 degrees but my coolant temp is around 180.

There must be a thermostat trying to keep the trans at 200.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller

Gray Brick

This DIY says the thermostat can be changed in the bypass assembly.

Has anyone changed this without adding the external cooler?

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

polskifacet

Quote from: Gray Brick on December 03, 2015, 02:17:41 AM
This DIY says the thermostat can be changed in the bypass assembly.

Has anyone changed this without adding the external cooler?

It should be matched to what the water thermostat is, otherwise your just cooling it to heat it up again. From the research I have done, stable temperature is better than lower temperature that fluctuates. That said I would believe it's worth changing the trans thermostat if your water thermostat is 160.

SHOdded

If you just want to replace the thermostat in the bypass valve, you could be in luck!
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6585