• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hydrolocked due to me being stupid... will it live?

Started by jimmyducati, October 07, 2015, 08:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyducati

So without going into detail about why or who made installation errors (me...) I was swapping tunes from the 3 bar to the 2 bar to trouble shoot my meth system, and without realizing it my pump was spraying full blast while the tune was loading.. Im thinking the computer was giving false info causing the 2 bar sensor to see boost.. Long story short, filled three of my cylinders with meth/water and the car wouldnt start.. just acted like the battery was dead when I hit the start button.

So, I pulled all 6 plugs, turned the engine over and got three big gushes of stuff out of the engine. Just wondering what the popular opinion is on if I have a bent rod or three, or other issues? I plan on letting the spark plugs stay out for a couple hours, then putting them back in and starting it. Tomorrow it will get a fresh oil change (if it is alive that is)

To be clear, I didn't realize the pump was spraying and filled a couple cylinders until after i tried to start the car.
2010 White SHO w/two tone interior
2005 Ducati 999s  (the daily ridder)
1998 Ducati 916  (the beauty queen)
1995 Ducati 900ss (the track terror)
1978 Harley Davidson Shovelhead

CroR1

I'm curious to this fix myself.  OP  I hope you sort it out quick, and that no damage was caused.

nickstewartroc

Did you hear it turn over at all? Or was it slow when trying to crank?  If it didn't crank at all, you might be safe...
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

FoMoCoSHO

I hope your motor is ok.

Maybe this should serve as a warning for everyone to disconnect their meth when flashing since it seems all have some sort of weird behavior when doing so. And obviously some things may be going on that can't be seen....

AJP turbo

Oh damn...thanks for making up my mind on meth..i never thought of that happeneing...i think my wife would seriously try to beat me up if i needed a motor for the daily driver that would crush the bank account.

Hope its ok
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

pejohnson

By no means am I a mechanic but if the engine did not fire or role over how could anything could be damaged/bent?  I would think by drying everything out and installing the plugs it should start. Just my two cents...,.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

SHOdded

Make sure the meth kit is disconnected and will not spray.

DO NOT try to start the engine until you have dried out each cylinder thoroughly (visual verification/boroscope).  Compressed air will help.  Crank a few times without the plugs installed and the fuel pump fuse pulled.

DO change the oil BEFORE trying to start the engine.  Check the intercooler, empty if necessary.

Once verified, install plugs & reinstall fuel pump fuse.  Leave the meth kit alone for now.  Load a non-meth tune and try to start the engine.  If that is OK, drive around for a while before trying to proceed further with the meth kit install/troubleshooting.

My 2 cents.  Good luck!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jimmyducati

Just emptied almost a gallon of liquid from the CAC... Jacked up the driver side and used an oil extractor meant for a boat (also used this to vac out the transfer unit, works amazingly well) and had no issue getting at all of the fluid. Also removed all of the plugs and spun the engine over a couple dozen times, the first revolution there were a couple "explosions" of liquid being ejected from at least one of the cylinders. The oil will get changed in the morning before I drive it.

Other than obvious engine sounds, what should I be keen to look for when starting it for the first time tomorrow?

Quinid

How long would you say that meth mix was in those cyclinders?  As SHOdded said, change your oil just in case any of it ran past the cylinder rings. You do not want water or fuel in the oil at all. You will burn up bearings. Since engine did not fire, I doubt the starter has enough torque to bend a rod. Glad you caught it. I hydrolocked my mower the other day due to a stuck fuel valve and emptied the entire fuel tank down the cyclinders and a mower mechanic told me the same thing SHOdded said.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2014 Blue Flex 303A Appearance package all stock
2000 F250 XLT 7.3L 410k miles
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod
1957 Chevy 3200 pickup 3 speed stock straight 6
1968 Camaro RS 3 speed 350 sb with vortec heads.

jimmyducati

Unfortunatly I had to leave for Ft Campbell for a Flight Simulator period, so it was sitting in the cylinders from about 11am to around 9 pm.. To top off the night, the car is half way in and half way out of the garage... so I can't close the door :(

Im getting anxious to start it up, but now I am also suffering from a dead battery.. So unless the trickle charger works its magic overnight, I will be exchanging a nearly new battery in the morning at auto zone.

SHOnUup

Best of luck on the flood recovery

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

jimmyducati

SHE'S ALIVE!!! After a night with the plugs out, an oil change and sucking a scary amount of fluid from the CAC (at least it should be clean now, right!) she is idling with a fair amount of consistency in the driveway as I type :) There was lots of condensation on the inside of the oil fill cap, so I'll keep an eye on the condition and change it in about 500 miles again just to be on the safe side.

Huge thanks to the members here for advice and to Julio @ Alkycontrol for the countless emails helping  trouble shoot this problem!

FoMoCoSHO

Did they figure out exactly what happened or is it just one of the random "tuning gremlins" that occurs during the flash process?

14SHOCAR

18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

crash712us

You should be fine, this exact something happened to me a couple years ago. Always change your MAP sensor 1st, or pull the fuse on your meth system.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110