• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Having problems with 2010 Taurus sho with only 18k miles

Started by Rodsmith, September 17, 2015, 05:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodsmith

Update!
Ran two tanks with seafome, and still no better. So then bought a new injector and changed out the 3rd cylinder injector. And now the check engine light came back on with the code 6 cylinder misfire and the car is driving worse then before, shuddering/going in limp mode.
Please if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
Rod.

Check engine light will come on blinking when the engine gets over 5000 RPM,   The code reader says third cylinder has misfire . change all six spark plugs,   And switched out the coil from 3 to 6 and the reader still says third cylinder misfire,  please anyone have any ideas the car only has 18,000 miles ?

Thanks Rod.

66 Galaxie

Maybe the fuel injector.  You can try running some cleaner in the gas like BG44, Techron or Sea Foam to clean it out.
'14 Flex Tuxedo Black ecoboost

SHOdded

Welcome to EBPF, Rodsmith!  Stock or tuned?  Plugs are Motorcraft?  Gapped correctly?

This is the driverside plug on the rear bank, so things to ask:

1.  Any oil in plug well/on coil boot?  Possible valve cover gasket leak
2.  Spark plugs looked ok when you pulled them?  Normal combustion signature, no fuel smell, no heavy soot, etc.?  Check gap by any chance?
3.  Possibly clogged or faulty fuel injector?  Have you ever run Fuel Injection Cleaner (Techron, BG 44K, etc.) through the fuel tank?  Sometimes crud builds up in the fuel rail and gets forced into an injector(s) on the ends.

Also pull and clean the MAP sensors/change air filter (OEM or non-oiled aftermarket).

Bunch of other maintenance checks should be done, but this should get you on the right path.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Welcome Rod, if the code didn't move when you changed coils I would guess it's an injector issue. They are pretty common with this platform. Definitely check what SHOdded mentioned first.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Rodsmith

The car is stock  with KN air intake. I am not a mechanic , when I pulled the spark plugs to the best of my knowledge they didn't smell like gas or look very oily. But look very used.
But I will try fuel injection cleaner.

Thank you for your help! 😀

ZSHO

That #3 cylinder is infamous for misfires,leaking injectors as mentioned above,but unfortunetly leaning twards a leaking injector especially with the flashing check engine light.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

BiGMaC

Rod... Please be aware that when the CEL is blinking it is a very serious misfire/knock that the ECU cannot control adequately to protect itself.  My manual on a '13 SHO says that if the CEL is flashing the car is not safe to drive due to high risk of engine damage...

Good advise from others is already posted as far as potential answers... And yes hole #3 is the most common trouble maker... Be sure to check the spark plug gaps too.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

USMCSHO341

Had the same issue and it was multiple injectors stuck open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmezo33

Quote from: BiGMaC on September 17, 2015, 06:15:00 PM
Rod... Please be aware that when the CEL is blinking it is a very serious misfire/knock that the ECU cannot control adequately to protect itself.  My manual on a '13 SHO says that if the CEL is flashing the car is not safe to drive due to high risk of engine damage...

Good advise from others is already posted as far as potential answers... And yes hole #3 is the most common trouble maker... Be sure to check the spark plug gaps too.

You'll destroy your cat if you misfire and drive.  Doesn't take long to do that too.  When you see that CEL flashing and it's a misfire, you turn the car off and get it towed.  Cats are not cheap.

SHOdded

Any smell of fuel out the exhaust?  As pmezzo pointed out, if there are leaky injectors, that can cause fuel to be dumped into the cats.  In that case, it is best NOT to drive the SHO.  The cats can tolerate some fuel, but dump enough in there, you will have to replace them.

A faulty PCM can fry ignition coils (for example, on the Ford Edge), but not common on the Taurus line.

Did you use a new Ford/Motorcraft injector as replacement?  Did the work yourself?  It is not unlikely at all that you will have to replace multiple injectors, so be prepared for that.

Is the cyl 6 misfire code the only one you are seeing?  If there are more, please list them all.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!