• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Quick question about spark plugs.

Started by USMCSHO341, September 25, 2015, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCSHO341

So I am just curious what the difference would be with gapping my factory spark plugs @ .30 versus buying aftermarket ngk replacements @ $7.50+ a piece. Is it really worth the swap? Do the ngk plugs come pre gapped if so what are they gapped at when I purchase them. And what are the downsides of gapping my factory plugs if any? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

I would always check the gap on new plugs.....im still wondering why a gap change is required

Maybe people running meth could benefit from a tighter gap.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BiGMaC

Quote from: USMCSHO341 on September 25, 2015, 04:47:04 PM
So I am just curious what the difference would be with gapping my factory spark plugs @ .30 versus buying aftermarket ngk replacements @ $7.50+ a piece. Is it really worth the swap? Do the ngk plugs come pre gapped if so what are they gapped at when I purchase them. And what are the downsides of gapping my factory plugs if any? Thanks for any help.

I have not seen any race, datalog, or dyno finding to indicate NGK or other being superior or inferior to MC OEM SP 534... It is important that they be the same heat range. Like ajp, I don't trust FMC or any other company's gaps because of the wide ranges I have found both in my car when I bought it and in AM plugs... I always check and put them as close to the desired gap as humanly possible. Both leading tuners recommend a smaller gap... OEM is .035... Tuners recommend .028 - .030. To prevent spark blowout at higher boost tunes the smaller may be better. Folks here are running both.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

USMCSHO341

Quote from: ajpturbo on September 25, 2015, 04:57:07 PM
I would always check the gap on new plugs.....im still wondering why a gap change is required

Maybe people running meth could benefit from a tighter gap.
Same here. I plan on getting a LMS tune but am not sure why we need different plugs to run a tune.

AJP turbo

If road racing or constant drag racing i could see 1 or 2 ranges colder but most of us street drive these cars and do wots occasionally or often but mostly u are not in boost..there is an optimum electrode temp and i think running these cooler plugs when street driving is not the way to go...ive never see one misfire with my stock plugs so far and ive hit 25 psi and have sustained wot pulls to 140 mph and 22 psi

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Quote from: USMCSHO341 on September 25, 2015, 05:54:12 PM
Same here. I plan on getting a LMS tune but am not sure why we need different plugs to run a tune.

As BiGMaC pointed out, narrower plug gap. is needed to prevent spark blowout in tuned turbo engines.  Also, to err on the side of a richer burn decreases the possibility of BOOM.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

But im still searching for the spark blowout...i have the same ignition system as everyone else.....i smell upselling

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Hardly anything to upsell, though AJ :)  Plugs are an inexpensive item.

But for sure wouldn't mind a more technical explanation from our top tuners!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: SHOdded on September 25, 2015, 08:11:29 PM
Hardly anything to upsell, though AJ :)  Plugs are an inexpensive item.

But for sure wouldn't mind a more technical explanation from our top tuners!

Eh 30 here 50 there...

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

USMCSHO341

What brand/model plugs do you chaps use? After searching on orielly's and advance auto parts the choices are limited for my 10 SHO. And most were gapped at .035 the only option for anything lower was a set of ngk plugs gapped at .032 for close to $12. But when I searched for later year models like 2014 there were plenty of option gapped at .032 for way less. Shouldn't those plugs work with 10 as well?

SHOdded

Motorcraft sp534's work fine, and word is they come gapped at 0.030 (great for tuned engines) from the factory.  As always, check with a gauge, that's the only truth that matters.

Quinid

All I know is I ignored torrie the day I received my tuner and went for max boost 93 tune. The stock plugs did NOT like it. The power would just randomly cutout for a split second at a time as it climbed the rpms at wot. The new plugs fixed it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

2014 Blue Flex 303A Appearance package all stock
2000 F250 XLT 7.3L 410k miles
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod
1957 Chevy 3200 pickup 3 speed stock straight 6
1968 Camaro RS 3 speed 350 sb with vortec heads.

AJP turbo

Quote from: Quinid on September 27, 2015, 10:33:15 PM
All I know is I ignored torrie the day I received my tuner and went for max boost 93 tune. The stock plugs did NOT like it. The power would just randomly cutout for a split second at a time as it climbed the rpms at wot. The new plugs fixed it.

Most likely Torrie needed to revise your tune...And if you changed the plugs before you got your next tune and it fixed it then you had something seriously wrong with your other plugs....Or if you updated the plugs from what the 10's had then maybe the newer ford stuff is better.

There are a lot of reasons you can feel power cutting out when something is wrong with the tune

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Quinid

Quote from: ajpturbo on September 27, 2015, 11:20:00 PM
Quote from: Quinid on September 27, 2015, 10:33:15 PM

Most likely Torrie needed to revise your tune...And if you changed the plugs before you got your next tune and it fixed it then you had something seriously wrong with your other plugs....Or if you updated the plugs from what the 10's had then maybe the newer ford stuff is better.

There are a lot of reasons you can feel power cutting out when something is wrong with the tune
They were the stock plugs on a 2010 with 70k miles. They worked great on the regular 93 tune.

Also I never had torrie revise the tunes.

2014 Blue Flex 303A Appearance package all stock
2000 F250 XLT 7.3L 410k miles
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod
1957 Chevy 3200 pickup 3 speed stock straight 6
1968 Camaro RS 3 speed 350 sb with vortec heads.

AJP turbo

It wasn't the plugs...You can choose not to believe it if you want

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress