• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

EcoBrickBob's "How-To" On Unleashed Tuning's Methanol Kit.....

Started by bpd1151, July 05, 2013, 03:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

****Fellow EBPF member EcoBrickBob asked me to kindly transfer over his write-up on his Methanol Injection Set Up, that is offered up by Official EBPF Vendor Unleashed Tuning.

Thanks and kudos goes out entirely to EBB for having posted this info for all fellow EcoBoost owner's to take advantage of.....****

Moving along, below is EBB's post as it appeared elsewhere:

This is the Kit Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning created and is available at his Fast Parts Network website.

I located the W/M pump just behind the Radiator Reservoir. It is held in place by a piece of Aluminum strap that after attached to the pump housing, slides and locks into the slots on the back side of the reservoir. The inlet hose to the W/M pump goes into the windshield washer reservoir, which is utilized as the W/M holding tank. There is a "T" in the vacuum/pressure hose that goes into the intake manifold, and is located close to it. The hose from the "T" hooks to the pressure switch relay, that turns on the pump & the light showing the pump circuit is on. The light was added by me, and is visible to the driver. At the top of this picture is my custom Air Intake Sustem, which uses a ROTO FAB "J" intake pipe (from a G8 RF Intake) that is reversed, and mated to the pipes to the turbo's with 2 hoses & Clamps, with a solid piece of PVC inside. The filter is an AEM non-Oiled filter, with a K & N Filter cover.

A picture of the pump with the bracket, before installation. The pump can be easily removed if necessary. The supply lines are hooked up via quick connect fittings.

A picture of the "T" and it's location.

A picture of the boost pressure switch. The button on it manually activates the pump, to verify it is working and to prime it.

A picture of the relay that turns on W/M the pump. It is activated by the boost switch, and is hooked up to my light.

The light I installed to show when the W/M is spraying.

I added an in-line filter from AEM - just in case.

The location of the spray nozzle in the pipe between the Intercooler and the Intake.

Installed and hooked up to W/M Pump supply line. The nozzle is at the bottom, spraying up and angled towards the close by Throttle Body.

This picture shows the inside of the intake pipe, laying on top of the exposed throttle body.

When active, Spraying W/M reduces 1/4 mi times approximately 1/2 second.

Here is a better picture of the spray nozzle... (Too many pix... can't find them sometimes...)

Another..

I purchased 100% Methanol by the gallon at Cedar Falls Raceway for under $4.

When I bought the Snow 49-51, I got it from Summit.

At times I was running upwards of 75% methanol.

I did not have a separate tank as keeping the windshield clean used very little water/methanol ( which is what most windshield washer solutions for the lowest temps are made of).

Also, unless you really are on it all the time like bpd1151 !!!!! You won't use very much pump spray in normal driving situations.

Torrie's system turns on at 8 PSI. The kit he sent me had a #7 nozzle. I later updated to the #10 nozzle, after I had already purchased and installed a 3 bar sensor.

I also added the filter which I purchased from AEM.

Since I wanted to know when the system was spraying, I also added an amber light that I positioned on the outside of the windshield near the wiper pivot on the drivers side.

When at the strip, I always manually turned on the spray, to make absolutely sure the pump was working, It always has been holding prime, and works immediately.

On trips back and forth from IA to FL & back, the spray never came on, except if I needed to floor the Flex for traffic situations that made it necessary. Maybe twice each way.

For anyone who is considering Torrie's system, I have more pictures, and would be happy to answer any other questions. Another positive is that this W/M system can be removed in about 15 minutes, if you use pin connectors for the electrical connections.

After extensive tuning & testing, I made 3, 12 second runs, the last 2 using DR's on front with outside temps in the mid-70's. Never have any better conditions since. If temps were in the 40's with those DR's, who knows how much faster I might have been.

Torrie McPhail has developed tunes based on my logging. However, once you have the setup and initial tune, it is always a good idea to log and send it to Torrie, so he can tweak it.

The same thing goes for the Livernois setup. You will definitely get even more performance if you have Dan Millen dyno your car after installation.

Logging works the same way, but takes longer as the tuner can't modify several things in real time, but has to go step by step and may be changing different variables.

Responsible tuners like Dan Millen (from LMS) and Torrie McPhail (Unleashed Tuning) are by nature conservative in their "canned" tunes, as not all cars are created equal.

Same goes for location, temp, fuel and more.

EcoBrick Bob

JEEZ... did I actually write that... DAMN... I forgot that I actually spent that much time attempting to explain which I have no idea about any of it...

BPD... Thank you so much for finding all of this...  Hope it helps others. 

I am always willing to help via PM's or e-mail... IF I can remember what I did!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

SRT82ECOBOOST

2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

EcoPowerParts

Bob can you tell me the information about the nozzle you have? I need to know size/thread info etc for a mount for the hot pipes.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoBrick Bob

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on September 24, 2013, 09:27:06 AM
Can this kit be used with 100% methanol?

The short answer is yes.

Just remember that any concentration of methanol over 50% is flammable.  I have run over 70% methanol and plan on using 100% in the future.

One definitely needs to make sure there are no leaks (ie. all quick connections have the lines pushed completely in). 
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EcoBrick Bob

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on September 24, 2013, 09:34:48 AM
Bob can you tell me the information about the nozzle you have? I need to know size/thread info etc for a mount for the hot pipes.

I will take some pix and get measurements later this AM.  Since nozzles aren't expensive, perhaps we need to choose a readily available one that can screw in.  The one I have is designed to allow different orifices for higher and lower volume spray.  Rated in gal per hr at 100 psi. it is threaded and is held in with a nut like that used on radio face plates from the past.   

After I post pix, perhaps BPD can chime in as to whether it is similar  to his.  If so, I can send it out to you, or drop it off when I'm out there between Oct 3 & 9.

melc

Bob,

I finally got around doing the prepwork to install Torrie's Water/Meth kit, which I've had for over a year. I'll probably complete the work by this weekend.

What is the advantage of going with the #10 nozzle instead of the #7 that comes with the kit and using 100% methanol over the 49/51 boost juice?
2011 Black SHO PP
Livernois and Unleashed 91 octane tunes
Unleashed W/M system
Auxiliary trans cooler
AirAid CAI Eiback Springs LED lamps inside

EcoBrick Bob

Doing both gets more spray into the engine under boost. That allows for a more aggressive tune from Torrie or whoever. 

The base kit with #7 nozzle and 49% methanol is good for .4-.5 better times depending on DA and other track conditions.

When I was using a #10 nozzle and approximately 70% methanol, I gained another .1-.2.

I also upgraded my pump to a 250 psi, but honestly, I don't think that it made any difference.

Other things I upgraded, was adding an AEM filter which also has a back flow valve in it, and jerry rigged a on off light hooked up to the boost switch that I can see while driving (located outside by wipers).

EcoPowerParts

Yeah I'll probably find a cheap nozzle I can include with the pipes so people can just connect their line to it.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

EcoBrick Bob

I have been researching nozzles off and on today... Also have pulled SeaDoo's for winter and a bunch of other things so no pix yet.

After further review..... Devil's Own makes a really nice billet aluminum one for $9.00. The spray nozzle - your choice of sizes are $20.00 ea.  A 90 deg bend with a quick connect is another $4.00.

I also have an e-mail into Torrie on the one that he supplied me with.  If he has them, they come with a 90 deg. bend are threaded and have a built in quick connect to the line.  They  use a different type of spray nozzle  than the one from Devil's Own.  If he can supply them, that would be the way to go in my opinion, as the whole thing can be threaded in. 

There are other options but I couldn't get detailed info... Snow, AEM, and a couple others.  Summit has some kits, but they cost $30. & up to $100. and have lots of things we don't need.

In my current install, I drilled a hole in the plastic part of the hose from intercooler to TB, at an angle where nozzle sprays forward of the sensor.  I then screwed it in and glued it with black gasket glue.  I would pull it out and send it to you, but we need to see if Torrie or an alternative can supply them.

Personally, if I were to do this over and wanted a system with a controller vs. just a boost switch, I would go with Devil's Own, even though it would cost at least $500. for their most complete system.  Or, I would venture up to Alky Control's hdqtrs, in Tampa area and see what they say.

peachback50

Hey guys,
Did anyone come up with any nozzle/90 degree fitting options for the hot pipes using Unleashed's W/M?
My hot pipes arrived yesterday and want to get it ready for installation. I had a falling out with the guy who did the W/M install and now I'm going to have to do some of the prep work myself(well pay someone). ..welding the BOV adapter and bung/screw for fitting but need to know what to buy.
thanks

EcoBrick Bob

I bought new a new nozzle holder and #10 nozzle from Devils Own.  Got a tap to thread the hole from Amazon.  I am going to test and compare data from the location of 4DR's Nitrous nozzle location vs drilling a new hole in the same place that is suggested by Torrie.  Will thread in a plug in one or the other.

I was running a #10 nozzle in the nozzle holder I got from Torrie which is an upgrade from the #7 nozzle that came with his kit.  Reason I got this nozzle and holder is that the nozzle screws both into the hot pipe as well as into the holder which keeps nozzle almost flush on the inside of the pipe instead of sticking up a 1/4" to 3/8". 

I will be getting my hot pipes by mid-Nov. 

Currently on way to FL -- in Marion, IL tonite.  Tornado warnings and watches earlier here and now east.  Will post pix when I get mine installed.

Fast SHO

When I sprayed my Cobra I used a solution of 50% washer fluid and 50% HEET (yellow bottle).  Easily purchased from any gas station.
2014 SHO PP

thatsmrgimp2u

Im going to be installing an aem kit that I had in my last car, forgive me if I missed it, but where did you get power from to the controller??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2011 ISM SHO;  SCT X3 (Unleashed), Airaid Intake, PPE Downpipes, Magnaflow Mufflers and X-pipe with Vibrant resonators, 170 Thermostat, H&R Springs, RX CSS
12.91@107

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!