• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Adjusting headlight throw after lower springs

Started by pejohnson, September 23, 2015, 08:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pejohnson

How do you adjust the headlights on a SHO?  I put lowering springs on awhile back of which the rear was lower more than the front.  As such the headlights are shining higher than stock.  I popped the hood but did not see any adjustments easily accessible. I am assuming I will need to remove some of the plastic covers to provide enough access to make the adjustments.  Any feedback would be appreciated.
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

SHOdded

OM for 2013, pg 312:

4. Locate the vertical adjuster on
each headlamp. Using a Phillips
number 2 screwdriver, turn the
adjuster either clockwise or
counterclockwise in order to adjust
the vertical aim of the headlamp.
5. Close the hood and turn off the
lamps.
HORIZONTAL AIM IS NOT REQUIRED FOR THIS VEHICLE AND IS
NOT ADJUSTABLE.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Im guessing the owners manual was not even considered lol....wonder what people have against it?

I think im pretty smart about late models cars but i always look through my manual. Cars today do so many things, there is a reason the manuals are so thick
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

pejohnson

Ha Ha, your wisdom is light years ahead of all us morons!  Thanks for your insight.  It was truly worth typing out your response and posting.....

Shout to SHOdded for supplying great information, which is on page 311 of the 2013 owners manual.

Quote from: ajpturbo on September 23, 2015, 10:02:15 PM
Im guessing the owners manual was not even considered lol....wonder what people have against it?

I think im pretty smart about late models cars but i always look through my manual. Cars today do so many things, there is a reason the manuals are so thick
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

SHOdded

Did you adjust the headlights yet?  Was your experience any different from the instructions in the manual?  Sometimes the manuals tend to oversimplify, I think.  They assume everything on the car is brand new, well adjusted, etc etc etc.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Dooes anyone know if this actually redirects the HL beam, or does it change the amount of light blocked by the shutter?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

pejohnson

I have not tried to adjust the headlights yet.  Hope to tackle it over the weekend. Thanks again for your help.

SHOdded

Quote from: BiGMaC on September 24, 2015, 10:06:02 AM
Dooes anyone know if this actually redirects the HL beam, or does it change the amount of light blocked by the shutter?
It should not.  Should simply re-aim the housing.
Quote from: pejohnson on September 24, 2015, 10:06:21 AM
I have not tried to adjust the headlights yet.  Hope to tackle it over the weekend. Thanks again for your help.
Good luck!  Hope it's as easy peasy as it was for my Edge.

beez74

all the adjustment does is open and close the shutter more or less moving the cutoff line up or down ..the housing does not move so basically higher cutoff and more light...I to had to adjust mine after lowering springs where installed.

BiGMaC

Quote from: beez74 on September 24, 2015, 04:49:43 PM
all the adjustment does is open and close the shutter more or less moving the cutoff line up or down ..the housing does not move so basically higher cutoff and more light...I to had to adjust mine after lowering springs where installed.
Thanks! Notice any difference at night... Especially low beam?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

pejohnson

It was extremely easy. Just one adjustment screw each light. Not sure if I have the right height yet. Followed directions. Located headlights 25' away. Marked the horizontal line on the wall. I lowered mine about 3". Drove around didn't like the new light level. Seemed too low. Went back and raised it 1" and like it better. We'll see how it plays out. It's so easy to adjust I'll make other adjustments if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

Im proud of you...and to think you were about to start ripping off plastic pieces lol...next job,...oil changes amd light bulb changes...u will be a mechanic yet
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

beez74

Quote from: BiGMaC on September 24, 2015, 04:52:07 PM
Quote from: beez74 on September 24, 2015, 04:49:43 PM
Thanks! Notice any difference at night... Especially low beam?
definitely noticed a difference at night....I actually set them to high at 1st and was getting flashed a lot so I readjusted and found a nice happy medium for both me and on coming traffic