• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Easy 2 microfiber drying method

Started by nickstewartroc, September 19, 2015, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickstewartroc

Introduction:
Recently I bought a bottle of the H20 Guard-n-Gloss and really liked how well it worked. My only "problem" with it is how expensive it is and how quick I use it. I decided to look at see what other products were out there and stumbled upon the Turtle Wax Wax and Dry. It is far cheaper (though it doesn't wax as well, which for me is fine...) I mainly use it as a way to dry easier and eliminate water spots. With the Guard-n-Gloss the directions say spray on a panel at a time, wipe with one microfiber to sort of "mix" the wax and water, then use another one to dry and "buff" the panel. The Turtle Wax just says spray one panel at a time and wipe dry, which really soaks the microfiber to where I'd have to use a lot of them since once wet, they don't really dry.

So here's what I do once the car is washed and still wet:

• Spray the whole car with the Wax and Dry (or Guard-n-Gloss)
  • Use one microfiber (I use a Meguiars Water Magnet Drying Towel) and wipe the whole car down. You might have to wring it out a few times. The objective here is to remove most of the water
  • Once the car is wiped down and minimally wet, take a second dry microfiber and wipe dry.

I was able to use just the Water Magnet and a regular yellow microfiber to dry the whole car.
This might not be the best way, but it works for me!
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

SHOdded

Good idea!  The one change I'd make is to get high quality towels, as even microfiber can lint/mar the paint.  I use 600 gsm or higher, but 300 gsm is a minimum.  The "Costco" variety is relegated to wheel cleanup, for example.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nickstewartroc

Haha, Guess I should have specified what I meant by "regular"! I normally use Meguiar's X2020 Supreme Shine. Just didn't want to sound like a spokesperson for their towels  8)
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

J-Will

If all you are attempting to do is dry the car, then everything you said about Adams H2O Guard and Gloss is correct.  And along those lines, using their detail spray is going to be a much better option for drying, as it will essentially repel water off your paint when you spray it.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Vortech347

Low pressure rinse, Adams detail spray with their drying towel.  Works great.

I haven't tried their H20 sealant yet.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

oks10

I've actually started used Chemical Guys After Wash when I dry. You just rinse the car, spray a section (and watch the beads of water roll off), wipe it down then go back and buff any spots that might have dried. It's carnauba based so it leaves it smooth but definitely not a substitute for wax.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

J-Will

Quote from: oks10 on December 01, 2016, 08:55:57 PM
I've actually started used Chemical Guys After Wash when I dry. You just rinse the car, spray a section (and watch the beads of water roll off), wipe it down then go back and buff any spots that might have dried. It's carnauba based so it leaves it smooth but definitely not a substitute for wax.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Adams detail spray is similar. It's not carnauba based, but does have hydrophobic properties. Since I have the detail spray readily available, and it's fairly inexpensive, for me it's a logical solution.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap