• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Custom Exhaust Magnaflow (Hopefully not too loud)

Started by polskifacet, September 15, 2015, 11:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polskifacet

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to share my ideas for the next guy that's looking for a tame, cheap, but solid exhaust solution. I don't want to pay $1000 for something that is 100% performance driven. As my 2013 SHO is a daily, I just wanted to optimize the stock system. What I have planned out is removing the 3rd cat while keeping the resonator (so it doesnt resonate!) and installing some stainless steel Magnaflow XL 3 mufflers while reusing stock tips (saving another $160). I got them for $67 a piece on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COTD6G

The other cost will be the fab work and materials which should run about $200 depending on fitment etc. I will post plenty of pics and sound clips after I get it done (hopefully soon!).

Magnaflow XL 3 2.25" offset/center
Doesn't look like a $1000 polished exhaust of course but stainless is stainless and its going to be under the car for Chicago winters.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

ecoboostsho

Interesting!  Can't wait to hear it and hope it works out great for you!
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

BiGMaC

Just beware of getting it raspy... Third cat delete does that often... Many have had it replaced after trying without... Experiences have varied.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

14SHOCAR

Quote from: BiGMaC on September 15, 2015, 11:57:37 AM
Just beware of getting it raspy... Third cat delete does that often... Many have had it replaced after trying without... Experiences have varied.

LOL Here's my horror story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=128SB_RY0UQ

BEWARE of the ecoboost RASP from HELLLLLLLLL
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

polskifacet

Quote from: BiGMaC on September 15, 2015, 11:57:37 AM
I'm banking on not having a straight through muffler and the stock resonator will keep that horrid rasp at bay.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

ecoboostsho

Just to add to the discussion...On my last SHO I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I cut a round hole in the bottom of my stock mufflers and tried pulling the packing out of them to see if that would change the sound.  I didn't touch the rest of the exhaust and plugged the holes back up with stainless hole plugs sealed with high temp RTV and painted the whole thing black.  FYI for anyone who has thought about it - In my opinion it was a total waste of time as I don't think it changed the sound at all. They were offset as well inside.  Maybe it sounded better outside the cabin but inside I couldn't tell the difference.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

polskifacet

Quote from: ecoboostsho on September 15, 2015, 04:16:49 PM
Just to add to the discussion...On my last SHO I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I cut a round hole in the bottom of my stock mufflers and tried pulling the packing out of them to see if that would change the sound.  I didn't touch the rest of the exhaust and plugged the holes back up with stainless hole plugs sealed with high temp RTV and painted the whole thing black.  FYI for anyone who has thought about it - In my opinion it was a total waste of time as I don't think it changed the sound at all. They were offset as well inside.  Maybe it sounded better outside the cabin but inside I couldn't tell the difference.

LOL! Bro ..... Bro .......

ecoboostsho

For the record it was only a test. I ended up going with the dynomax axle back and was happy with it.  :)

polskifacet

Do not use these chambered mufflers! Drone at 2k. Called Magnaflow and they said these have no packing. Chopping them off and got the regular straight through Magnaflows. #11256

polskifacet

After talking to Magnaflow, they said to put in the longest straight thru mufflers I can fit. The XL Turbo doesn't have any packing material so it doesn't absorb any of the low frequencies.

polskifacet

Final Setup: 3rd kitty removed, stock resonator, stock piping Magnaflow 11256 mufflers (longest that would fit), Ebay 2.5 to 4 inch tips. (2.5 inch mufflers ect. fit well with stock piping after slight hydraulic expansion of stock piping).

Props to Corwell Customs in Plainfield.

polskifacet

14SHOCAR

FYI you need the fiber glass packing to keep the drone at bay. All exhaust systems will have a drone. There is no magic combination to get ride of drone 100%. The best you can do is get mufflers that will keep it to a minimum. I just mentioned on another thread that I still get drone between 2k-4kRPM, with a load of going up a hill. It sounds meh.  (only have the corsa). Ford put the right combination of mufflers, resonators, and cats to keep the sound tame. When you open the exhaust, you open the sound, therefore you get more flow.

Sound vs HP, you pick.
18 Volvo S90 Inscription - 2.0T Twin Charged - Polestar Tuned.
17 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T GTDI -To Tune, or Not To Tune -- THAT is the question.
15 Road Glide Special - CFR Exhaust, Powder Coated everything, DirtyAir Air ride
14 Taurus SHO (Sold)
LMS 93 V8 3Bar Tune, K&N Intake, LMS 160 t-stat, LMS pre-gapped plugs, Corsa Exhaust

polskifacet

Quote from: 14SHOCAR on October 05, 2015, 02:23:22 PM
FYI you need the fiber glass packing to keep the drone at bay. All exhaust systems will have a drone. There is no magic combination to get ride of drone 100%. The best you can do is get mufflers that will keep it to a minimum. I just mentioned on another thread that I still get drone between 2k-4kRPM, with a load of going up a hill. It sounds meh.  (only have the corsa). Ford put the right combination of mufflers, resonators, and cats to keep the sound tame. When you open the exhaust, you open the sound, therefore you get more flow.

Sound vs HP, you pick.

90% agree, my only gripe is highway speed drone which makes the car un-drivable for road trips etc. First set of mufflers had a weird sound and attenuated 93 hz. The long magnaflows I got the second time around definitely do a decent job in the 85 hz to 120 hz range, which is like 55mph to 80mph for me. In Chicago for a DD, cutouts aren't an option because of winter. What I learned from this project is get the longest packed mufflers you can fit and you get all of the performance benefit and a tame sound. Note: WOT the exhaust becomes virtually silent above 3k, good for now drawing much attention. Sound vs HP isn't a linear curve. Packed Muffler length vs Sound is. As long as its straight thru, HP is a constant.