• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" Upgrade Your Outside Mirror Lights to LED's...

Started by bpd1151, July 05, 2013, 01:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

Well, I finally got around to gutting open the outside mirror "puddle lamps" so that I could remove the stock bulb and replace it with a much brighter, LED upgrade.

I've seen lots of posts over the last few months of people asking how to install them, what's involved, questions about bulb sizes, etc.... but I never saw any actual "how-to" write ups on performing this change.

As I've tried to do with all of my mods, both on the SHO, and on my previous Charger build, I will always take the time to post pics and try as best as I can to explain step by step how to do a project from beginning to end.

This particular mod wasn't really all that difficult quite honestly. I hope the info contained in the thread is beneficial for those of you considering this change.

To start out..... I read about some people who attempted cutting open the housing assemblies by using a Dremel tool or some other equivalent type of power tool. Those people who did that, found out that the heat generated by the tool cutting into the plastic, melted the housing itself and/or removed too much plastic and in an inconsistent manner at best.

So a couple of tools you will need for this project are:

1.) A flat head screwdriver

2.) A coping saw

3.) An end cutter

4.) A tube of clear silicone (GE Premium Waterproof is what I purchased)

5.) Two (2) 31mm LED lights, one for each assembly

There are a wide variety of colors and styles of LED bulbs available for purchase and I'm sure you can choose whatever vendor and/or website you may feel most comfortable purchasing from, however, I consistently order all of my LED bulbs for any of my projects from this specific site here:

www.autolumination.com

Here's the link to the actual page for the bulb you'll need:

http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm

Simply scroll down and look for this specific product description:

Goldstar

New Super-High Flux 3 chip 1.5 watt Leds

Designed especially for applications requiring a large uniform field of bright light

10mm wide x 31mm overall length

Super White

This specific vendor I cited above, measures their bulbs in millimeters. The site is incredibly easy to navigate and there are multiple images of any bulb you may be looking for, along with "industry standard" charts that cross reference the sizes you may need..... the size bulb you will need for the puddle lamps is 31MM. I believe it may be also referred to as a 3022.

All that being said, I was provided with this particular website below that should help you determine your applicable bulb size if you choose to utilize another vendor / website other than the one I use:

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/

Here's a pic of the tools:

Flathead Screwdriver (used for prying light from mirror)

Coping saw packaging

Coping saw itself

Pair of end cutters

Tube of clear silicone

You should begin by using the flathead screwdriver to gently pry out the lamp assembly from the mirror housing (see/refer to pic above). There'll be two tabs (one on each side) that hold the lamp into the mirror. Gently work both tabs until the housing pops out.

Disconnect the two wires that are attached to the backside of the lamp housing.

Find a clean surface to work around/on as you'll want to avoid unintentionally get'n any dirt/debris/dust etc inside the assembly itself.

Here's a couple of pics of the lamp housings prior to cutting:

Noting the picture directly above, the area you'll want to cut is the tiny gap inbetween where the clear plastic lens is mated to the black part of the housing itself.

You'll want to make sure that when you do start cutting, remember, less is more! Don't get over zealous by hacking the shyt out of it.

Gentle, easy, sawing motions will help preserve as much of the original assembly without sacrificing overall appearance when you go to re-seal them after installing your LED bulb.

What I didn't realize was that there is also a beveled type of edge all along the inner side of the clear lens. I was happy after gutting it open, that I didn't saw too much into it.

Here's a couple of pics of what your assembly will look like after sawing:

Taking particular note on the backside of the clear lens alone, you will find a total of three protruded tabs. One tab located along the outer edge is essentially a guide marker for aligning it into the rear of the housing.

The remaining two, located in/near the center part of the lens I think are used to help keep the stock/OEM bulb in place. I noticed when I tried to reassemble the two parts after installing the LED bulb, that the clear lens would not sit correctly due to the size of the LED itself.

For clarity, I colored the two inner tabs using a black marker to help you see them better in this picture below:

Using the end cutters, place the edge of the cutter as close as you can to the inner edge of the lens and snip both of these off:

Congrats!! You're 90% completed, if not more.

I don't think I need to explain how to remove the stock bulb and replace it with the LED..... I will however add though, that since we cut the two plastic inner tabs noted above (that helped keep the stock bulb in place).... I made sure I bent in each of the metal tabs where the bulb sits to help make a tighter fit.

I wanted to make sure that the LED didn't drop down during normal driving and you hit a bump in the road, normal vibrations, etc......

Finally, be sure to keep separate and individually mark both the Driver's side, and Passenger sides assemblies so that when you re-seal the lamp housing, your clear lenses mate up properly to the black rear portion of each housing.

I simply marked them 'DS' (for Driver's Side) and 'PS' (for Psgr side).

After installing the LED light, simply place a small bead of silicone all along the outer flat edge of the clear lens and then using the clear guide tab, mate the clear lens back into the rear portion of the assembly. Allow proper drying time before re-installing into the mirror housing.

Here's a few pics of the finished product:

Thank you for taking the time to read through this..... I hope you guys/gals find it useful. I tried to be as clear and articulate as I could and I think the entire write up is pretty self explanatory, however, if questions should arise, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them accordingly.

Your comments are appreciated. -------------------Mike

bpd1151

Oh wow......

I just discovered these today.....

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/FORDORACLEDoorLEDProjector-1.aspx

$100 for each side though..... hhhmmmm  :hmmm:

I just might have to see if these'll fit into the outside mirrors, might be yet another added subtle mod that'll help make my SHO stand out even that much further....

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|