• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"How-To" Reset Your TPMS Sensors....

Started by bpd1151, July 05, 2013, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

Here is some info I dug up from various resources, on properly retraining your TPMS Sensors.

Part of this was inspired by the fact that I was forced to purchase new TPMS sensors for my after market TSW wheels.

My Manager pal (Nick Madsen) who works @ NTB (in Downers Grove, IL) was not able to retrain the new sensors as the tool they had was not compatible with Ford.

So off to the Dealership I went.

The tech performing the resets was a newer kid, who also had difficulty getting the car into true "on" mode.

Once I showed him how to do that part of it (see/refer to video below), I remained in the Service area (near the car while chit chat'n w/ another employee) and the tech followed the same procedure(s) as outlined in my OP on this topic.

Worked like a charm.

It's important to note that FMC did switch over mid 2010 from the "banded" style (like I have) to the much easier "valve" style sensors.

Here's that video I was referring to.....

http://www.fordtpms.com/ford-taurus-tpms.html

Be sure to check the attachments for different tutorials and/or instructions, as it applies to your individual set ups, and/or model years....

bpd1151

For you 2013 owners, there appears to be a difference in procedures, as outlined below.....

From the owner's manual, it would appear the 2013 Taurus does not have the typical "accessory" mode of the older models. Pasted below are a couple of excerpts from the Owner's manual for the 2011 and 2013 Taurus models.

2011, page 238:
"3. On — press and hold the START/STOP button for at least one second
without applying the brake pedal. This will power your vehicle’s electrical
system and the warning lights in the instrument cluster will illuminate,
but the engine will remain off.
"

2013, page 180:
"To turn the ignition on, press the start button once. It
is located on the instrument panel to the right of the
steering wheel. All electrical circuits and accessories
are operational, and warning lamps and indicators
illuminate.
"

This suggests that a single press of the Start button without your foot on the brake pedal in the 2013 will be comparable to the press and hold without pressing the brake pedal in the 2011.

EcoBrick Bob

I have the same banded sensors as BPD. When Ford switched to the Schrader valve stem sensors, I understand that they also switched the coding from positive to negative or vice versa... The point is that they made easy switching to the other type very difficult, as one would need to literally re-write the code for the TPMS system for the older cars.  That was done to protect Siemens and other suppliers of the old system.

I found both bands and sensors for the old system on ebay. I was very careful to make sure I was buying the correct ones, but the cost was minimal compared to Ford dealers, and not much more than the Schrader type found on the internet and ebay.

I also bought the $25. tool that re-sets them.  It has worked the first time every time.  I frequently switch back and forth between my 3 sets of wheels  (stock + 2 others).  I have found that it takes around 30 miles of driving without a re-set, before the TPMS light comes on.
No biggie, if you know your tires are inflated properly.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.