• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 SHO Front End Issue...Video of the issue as well**UPDATE*

Started by shaneirish, September 07, 2015, 10:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaneirish

^UPDATE* I'm pretty sure I found the problem.  I had a PTU failure last year.  The original PTU, Part#7251A was replaced with the #7251D revision.  The 7251D are associated with the 2011-2013 TSB 14-0186, the tech probably only looked up the 2010 model TSB's. My car goes in tomorrow morning and I hope this finally solves the issue.  It will be interesting to see if there was any spline damage or excessive wear from this issue.   

Ok, at slow speeds in my 2010 SHO I get a clicking and kinda like a slight snapping noise when turning the wheel back and forth and and going from reverse to drive or vice versa it also just seems loose to me when shifting to drive or reverse like there is too much play.  There is no noise in park when I turn the wheel. And no noise up on jacks or when pushing the front end up and down.  The noise is always reproduced in drive. The service department said they found no issues or looseness in the drive train and said they had a crowbar in and still found no play. They replaced the the right and left stabilizer link pins, bushings and nuts.  They called me and said the noise is gone so I pick it up, don't ask me why I didn't test it at the dealer..I took their word for it, I get to my house 10 miles away and the noise is EXACTLY the same!!  I paid $285 for nothing.  I'm taking it back Tuesday.  I guess new bushings are good to have anyway but do I have any recourse as far as the issue not being fixed and paying for something that wasn't the problem?  I still have the power train warranty and I'm guessing the real issue is there.  I've read here that it could be hubs or the splines going into the PTU and I think it's PTU related...I've had the PTU replaced after a failure and the transmission slip TSB fixed both within the past 18 months.  Plus all the wheel bearings last year.

It's hard to hear because of the engine noise, you can hear it better from the inside the car video. I'm not moving and just shifting from drive to reverse a few times and at 00:12 you can hear an abnormal noise and again at 00:24.  I then reverse out of my driveway, the noise is drowned out by road, tire and engine noise.
https://youtu.be/2rZHJ8tr4hQ

In the second video below at 00:36 I start turning the wheel, it's a very smooth road with no bumps. The noise is definitely more noticeable live and the service tech agrees. You can hear the noise in the video especially around 00:40.  Seat belt warning is working perfectly at 00:50.  I am turning the wheel back and forth and you can hear the noise as I head back to my house. I'm in park at 01:50 and turn the wheel and there is never any noise in park.

https://youtu.be/qi2hNkJiT6Q

There is a TSB for 2011-2013 SHO's and the issue described is exactly my issue.  Is there a possibility that a PTU from a later model was installed after my failure?  The new PTU part# they installed is
7251D.....update- I just found that the 2010 PTU is a 7251A....newer PTU and probably the TSB for the 2011-2013

FORD:
2011-2014 Flex
2011-2015 Explorer, Taurus
LINCOLN:
2011-2014 MKS, MKT
This article supersedes TSB 13-5-14 to update the vehicle model years, Issue Statement and Part List.
ISSUE
Some 2011-2015 Explorer, Taurus, 2011-2014 Flex, MKT and MKS vehicles may exhibit a noise that could be described
as ting, pop or click noise from the front wheel area when accelerating from a stop, on turns or when shifting between
drive/reverse and/or reverse/drive.
ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure Steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Separate the halfshaft from the wheel hub. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 205-04.
a. Do not remove the halfshafts from the transmission or power transfer unit (PTU).
2. Install one (1) thrust washer, metal surface first, over the halfshaft splines until the metal ring is flat against the wheel
bearing mating surface. The nylon surface should face outward toward the hub/splines. (Figures 1 and 2)

2010 SHO 20" Wheels, LMS 4X tune, AirRaid CAI, 3-Bar MAP, 160 Thermostat.  TSB's and Failures TSB-11-12-10 - 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION. TSB 11-11-09 - INTERMITTENT STEERING DRIFT/PULL. All four wheel bearings replaced winter 2014-2015 (all failed at different times and within four weeks of each other, PTU Failure at 54,000 miles. Climate heat issue fixed, halfshaft issue. Right front strut bearing plate failure at 79,000. TSB installed the thrust washer over the halfshaft.

markssho

Seems odd that the 2010 MY continues to be excluded from a lot of these TSB's.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC

ZSHO

I hear a pretty loud clunk noise at about 1.33 !!!on the short 3min video.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

shaneirish

At 01:33 I was turning around in a driveway and there was a bump at the end of it.
2010 SHO 20" Wheels, LMS 4X tune, AirRaid CAI, 3-Bar MAP, 160 Thermostat.  TSB's and Failures TSB-11-12-10 - 6F50/6F55 TRANSMISSION. TSB 11-11-09 - INTERMITTENT STEERING DRIFT/PULL. All four wheel bearings replaced winter 2014-2015 (all failed at different times and within four weeks of each other, PTU Failure at 54,000 miles. Climate heat issue fixed, halfshaft issue. Right front strut bearing plate failure at 79,000. TSB installed the thrust washer over the halfshaft.

bamsho

Interesting,  just changed out both front wheel bearing assemblies, no washer behind the axle nut.  I see they are putting one in now.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

SHOdded

ShoBoat had mentioned that if the sound returns, replacing (in addition to hub & washer) the halfshaft and the outer tie rod seems to provide a more certain fix.  Worth keeping in mind.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

It sounds to me you have a later model year build date which could effect which part they installed,also parts are always updated quite frequently based on TSB. BTW keep us updated on hopefully a permanent fix . Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

Zsho might have hit on something here. If your car is a job2 car it was more than likely built with some 2011 parts. You can tell if you have 2010 job 2 car if you have the pull down strap on the inside of the trunk lid.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

shaneirish

There is no trunk pull down strap.  The car is in the shop now the tech agrees with TSB 14-0186 and is going to do that first.  I also talked with the service manager and agreed to service credit for the misdiagnosis and wrong repair last week.  They are also going to change the PTU fluid because it's been 24,000 miles since the new PTU was installed.

SHOdded

Really, they'll change the PTU fluid?  Interesting!  Though I am glad they'll perform the TSB ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Thats some great news to hear,honestly quite happy for ya,hopefully she will be riding better than ever,BTW make sure to test drive it before leaving the dealer,for assurance purposes.  Z

SHOnUup

Quote from: SHOdded on September 08, 2015, 10:16:07 AM
Really, they'll change the PTU fluid?  Interesting!  Though I am glad they'll perform the TSB ...
I'm curious about this too...I'm betting they come back and say sorry, can't change it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

BiGMaC

Definitely sounds like things are moving in the right direction for you and the car... Glad to hear it! I will also be interested to hear if they actually do the PTU service.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

shaneirish

Yes, they are doing it no charge.  I just test drove it after the thrust washer was replaced ..no difference. ..the hubs were replaced 5 months ago...he is now going to use the stethoscope diagnostic...he thinks it might be a strut mount...so we will see.

FoMoCoSHO

Glad to see they are stepping up now.

Keep us posted on the final result....