• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Amsoil trans fluid

Started by FoMoCoSHO, September 06, 2015, 05:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Hey Rich,

I've had really good success with the temps with the pp/amsoil setup.

My question is if there is a minimum operating temp i need to get to to be protected properly.

Prime example was today, 85 degrees 30 minute city drive consisting of some daily beatings....

When i pulled into the garage coolant temp was 197 but tranny temp was.....153.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on September 06, 2015, 05:32:43 PM
Hey Rich,

My question is if there is a minimum operating temp i need to get to to be protected properly.

Prime example was today, 85 degrees 30 minute city drive consisting of some daily beatings....

That's a great temp to see after that long of a drive in those temps.

My rule, never get on it until the trans is over 120*...seems that the programming quits holding gears longer right around that temp (this is butt dyno, no scientific evidence).

In the winter I struggle to ever see the minimum suggested 170* normal operating temperature...thinking that Ford may just throw that # out as a base guideline for people not to worry when temps reach the higher end of the suggested operating temps?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

SHOnUup

With Amsoil in there, you should see smoother shifting in lower temps due to its great job in resisting thickening.

It's also formulated to prevent thermal breakdown and sludging, while promoting "studder" free shifting with its friction modifiers!!!

Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Larrylu

How about some thoughts on the flip side of the tranny temp question. I'm regularly seeing tranny temps in the 190 degree range. That's with ambients in the 90's after a half hour of interstate. My coolant temps are in the 180's. I'm presently running BG full synthetic and I thought it might bring my tranny temps down a bit but it doesn't seem to have done that.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOnUup on September 08, 2015, 07:28:57 AM
Hey Rich,

My rule, never get on it until the trans is over 120*...seems that the programming quits holding gears longer right around that temp (this is butt dyno, no scientific evidence).

In the winter I struggle to ever see the minimum suggested 170* normal operating temperature...thinking that Ford may just throw that # out as a base guideline for people not to worry when temps reach the higher end of the suggested operating temps?

Gotcha, that is kind of what I figured but the temp situation is so different between the two cars.....shockingly i would say....

The 13 got into the 220's at the track, lol.....

I will also say that the 15 tuned with coolers/amsoil  just shifts flat out better...fast and firm.

SHOnUup

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on September 08, 2015, 08:54:31 AM
Quote from: SHOnUup on September 08, 2015, 07:28:57 AM
Hey Rich,

Gotcha, that is kind of what I figured but the temp situation is so different between the two cars.....shockingly i would say....

The 13 got into the 220's at the track, lol.....

I will also say that the 15 tuned with coolers/amsoil  just shifts flat out better...fast and firm.
Great to hear.

High quality move getting the good fluids in there right off the bat.

SHOnUup

Quote from: Larrylu on September 08, 2015, 08:51:26 AM
How about some thoughts on the flip side of the tranny temp question. I'm regularly seeing tranny temps in the 190 degree range. That's with ambients in the 90's after a half hour of interstate. My coolant temps are in the 180's. I'm presently running BG full synthetic and I thought it might bring my tranny temps down a bit but it doesn't seem to have done that.
190's are completely fine also I'd think. But, definitely something to factor in on what type of interval you're going to use on changing the fluid. Intervals should be based on anything but strictly miles....avg temp, driving style, amount of track days, butt dyno...with samples taken and tested being the holy grail

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOnUup on September 08, 2015, 09:04:16 AM
Quote from: Larrylu on September 08, 2015, 08:51:26 AM
190's are completely fine also I'd think. But, definitely something to factor in on what type of interval you're going to use on changing the fluid. Intervals should be based on anything but strictly miles....avg temp, driving style, amount of track days, butt dyno...with samples taken and tested being the holy grail

I'd say 190's is fine as well but with the old car there was a direct correlation to higher temps and shifting performance, especially as temps rose into the 200's.

The hotter the car got the more the "hard shifting while tuned" phenomena reared its ugly head.

SHOnUup

^^^very true

Thus, having a fluid in there formulated to take on higher temps and not break down is a great advantage.

It's not just the breaking down of fluid either, it's the sludge that can form with generic fluids and clog the internals hurting flow and operation of valves.