• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New TSB for 3.5 GDI Sartup Rattle 15-0131

Started by BiGMaC, September 05, 2015, 10:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Woody on June 07, 2016, 07:34:53 AM
Here is a video I took of mine the day I took it to the dealer.  Sounds like the same noise as the F150's, just not as extreme.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/randalsmith/shares/5rv43i
Hmm, mine has a much more "metallic" sound to it.

68_GT

my engine light went off so I tried to get it inspected and find out I have 4-5 not ready's. The car seems to run fine I don't get it in fact my chain rattle seems much quieter after my last oil change and I just turned 100K miles.....
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

AJP turbo

Quote from: 68_GT on June 07, 2016, 12:53:36 PM
my engine light went off so I tried to get it inspected and find out I have 4-5 not ready's. The car seems to run fine I don't get it in fact my chain rattle seems much quieter after my last oil change and I just turned 100K miles.....

You need to drive the car and also let it cool down and heat up too
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

salsathe4th

Anyone try BG products and had success getting rid of the start up rattle? Im using Amsoil and the rattle is pretty bad.

And by the way mine sounds exactly like the posted video. What year is your Lincoln? Hopefully mine is under the same warranty.
"Do or do not, there is no try"         2010 MKS, 22" Motiv Maranello Rims, Mdesign CAI with VTA, LMS 4X tune and lovin' it
-master yoda

AJP turbo

Some people think its oil related...i dont....its just the inherent design of the late ford engines going back at least to the triton series
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

In so many cases i'v seen the oil dipstick loose and oil erupting like a volcano and all over the front valve cover which many members have lost a couple or more quarts of oil and not realizing it due to worn out gaskets on the dipstick right under the handle and two small rubber gaskets are needed for a tight secure fit.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

John Miller

Mine is about the same duration, but far, far less pronounced than in that video.  Frankly, I am really unsure if it is the same thing or not, but interested in Woody's results with the dealer fix. 

EDIT:  Mine sounds more like the car in these videos: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT_77mKfbMM
2015 Taurus SHO, Non-PP, 93 Octane Livernois V10 "Soft Shift" Tune with 170 Reische Thermostat and 3-bar MAP sensor

BiGMaC

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 07, 2016, 06:31:03 PM
Some people think its oil related...i dont....its just the inherent design of the late ford engines going back at least to the triton series
I think oil can affect it... Like quieting valves with the old STP.... But I agree it's a design flaw ultimately.... I do wonder if the increased amount of hard acceleration the 3.5 EB is subjected to (and I'm guilty) contribute to the rattle by taxing the spring on the chain tension era or stretching the chain... I don't seem to have the noise from either of the last two vids or any startup rattle.... I'll hate it if it develops.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

I suppose you could find a full synthetic oil with boron in it (since the boron clings to metallic surfaces) to help reduce the chances of a startup rattle also.  I don't think the lubrication system is active before you crank the engine.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Quote from: SHOdded on June 08, 2016, 01:31:53 AM
I suppose you could find a full synthetic oil with boron in it (since the boron clings to metallic surfaces) to help reduce the chances of a startup rattle also.  I don't think the lubrication system is active before you crank the engine.
I did notice if you let the engine crank a few seconds before starting the rattle is not present.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

BiGMaC

Quote from: glock-coma on June 08, 2016, 09:20:30 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on June 08, 2016, 01:31:53 AM
I did notice if you let the engine crank a few seconds before starting the rattle is not present.

How do you do that... I push the start button and the car takes over... What's your trick?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Keep the gas pedal pressed to the floor when starting.  Probably still cuts off the injectors ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Yes. Floor the gas and push the start button with foot on the brake.
It will keep cranking until you release the gas pedal.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

TX MKS-T

Made the Amsoil/Ford filter change at begining of May and all is still quiet every morning when starting.
2010 MKS-T * K&N Drop In/Power Stop Rotors
2007 Tundra TRD 5.7 - The Toy Hauler
2014 Mitsu Outlander - Kid Hauler

John Miller

Quote from: TX MKS-T on June 09, 2016, 08:37:18 AM
Made the Amsoil/Ford filter change at begining of May and all is still quiet every morning when starting.

Are you sure you were experiencing the same thing presented in any of the three videos from prior posts in this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Taurus SHO, Non-PP, 93 Octane Livernois V10 "Soft Shift" Tune with 170 Reische Thermostat and 3-bar MAP sensor